Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pro Tank 2 and flaky coil performance

Full Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default Pro Tank 2 and flaky coil performance

I got the Pro tank 2 and liked it so much I got a second one. Was using the new T3S heads in it 1.8 ohm and all was well. Then started using the Pro tank 1.8 ohm heads and initially all was good, then after a little while the flavor would get scorchy tasting, vapor production would fall off, and the vape would just taste burnt. This would happen with my LavaTube at voltages around 3.5-3.6( I had to keep increasing the voltage to get any reasonable amount of vapor ), the same phenomena would happen on the Inferno batteries as well...after tossing about 8 of them in a weeks time I was getting a little peaved, so I took the chimney off the coil, took out the flavor wicks, and dry burned it to get a good look at the coils. Hmmm, two wraps, a big gap, and two wraps...took some tweezers and adjusted the coils to a more even spacing, assembled it with the flavor wicks, and whamo, hits like a champ at 3.2 volts! No more burnt taste, and even gives a great vape on the Inferno battery.
    I am a little peaved that something like this needs to be tweeked on to perform properly out of the box though...

What ratio of PG/VG e-liquid are you using?

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

70\30 and aprox 80\20

Interesting. I also use e-juice high in PG, but don't have these issues. I keep my tanks at least 3/4 full. Heard something about pressure being a factor.

Full Member Verified Member The Urb's Avatar

I usually vape with a 2.5 ohm head. I have been having the same problems, when I took the head apart one of the wicks was wrapped 6 times. After reading and looking at the other heads 5 is the ideal number for 2.5 ohms. And this is why I am going to start re-wicking the heads myself. Mass production is not always the most accurate.
    pufZeppelin and ENAUD like this.

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I've got 8 bad heads saved in a bag, I guess after reading around a bit, my best bet is to learn how to rebuild these things, my coil on my igo is going on three weeks now. I am tired of just throwing money away...
    swampman likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member cowboy6591's Avatar

Wile waiting for the 1st of the Month to Plow my bank account of long saved trust fund for a Reo Grand and RM2 setup, I got impatient and ordered a Pro-Tank II and a Aurora BFT [Bottom Feed Tank] for 510 MODS [with no squonk bottles] The bottle is built into the unit as an all in one solution to squonking on a regular battery MOD. VV or Mechanical. I must say the Protank II blows away the Aurora in performance, as good as a review Phil gave it on a Video review.

The Protank had more smoke and flavor with an airier draw then the Aurora's tight draw which is where the problem area is. You need air to support the Juice/Heat mix or performance is TOAST. I like the Protank's draw, I don't turn Blue trying to smoke this thing and the clouds? well there respectable though not a contest winner. The flavor is a big plus [IMHO] and the 2.2 ohm resistance out of the box was a little high but understanding the tiny space to work with maybe it doesn't need 40 acres of land to do it's job. My Genny tanks are the cloud producers but are way to much work to keep them running well.

Protank gets a passing grade but as is most of these gadgets I have not found my "WOW" factor "This is it!!" vaporisor yet. I am hoping the Reogrand with a reomizer bottom fed dripper will do it.

Oh ya, big plus here, you can lay either of these tanks on it's side and so far no leaks.
    Con?= To small a space to work with , Rebuilding is far better left to Japanese girls with tiny fingers.

As for the cons with the BFT Aurora? You don't have to be of the worlds oldest proffesion to get through sucking down a whole tank with this units tight draw but it helps. The air vent holes are teenie beyond belief. I am thinking of a hardware hack here.

CON2-Aurora; And careful here I don't see any sources for a spare tank state side. [USA]. And you need an EGO[base] to 510[batt] adapter too.

Pro Tank 2 and flaky coil performance-aurora-bft.jpgPro Tank 2 and flaky coil performance-pro-tank-ii.jpg
    Last edited by cowboy6591; 09-19-2013 at 08:08 PM.

my pro tank 2 spits when there's not enough airflow.. not sure if you have a similar problem.

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exotyck View Post
    my pro tank 2 spits when there's not enough airflow.. not sure if you have a similar problem.
    I think part of the problem is too much air flow, causing less wicking action. This morning I wrapped some thread around the air holes, draw was tightened up, and vapor production increased( on my inferno battery). I may order a couple of the new bases with the smaller air holes.

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

A little update. I am now three for three on reconditioning the coils in these heads. Every one of the scorched tasting heads has so far shown in dry burning them that the coils were heating up unevenly. Hot spots and cold spots on the wraps. By adjusting the coil spacing to a more even state until a dry burn resulted in a nice even glow across the coil, and then topping the coil with fresh flavor wick, they are producing great flavored big plumes of vapor. Time will tell if this fix will prolong the life of these things, but coil #1 is going strong after two days of heavy vaping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast