Page 1 of 161 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1605
Like Tree1287Likes

Thread: Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

  1. #1
    Moved On ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    716
    Posts
    593

    Exclamation Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

    Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted.. I've been building MicroCoils for my Protank 1 & 2 for a couple months now. Absolutely love them!! I run my microcoils on my eVic, so I haven't ventured into the sub-ohm/dual-coil/etc. "world" yet to compare - but rebuilding these MC's is sooo much better than paying extra for the crappy stock-manufactured coils!!

    I know there's a few threads out there already about Microcoils on the Protank and such, but I'm typing this, to try and find out what works best when building an MC (microcoil) for the Protank.. After a few months of experimenting - the best build for me (so far), is when I use 30gauge Kanthal and Cotton-Balls for wick material. My micro's seem to function best when I get about 9-11 tight wraps, coming in around 1.8-2.2Ω.. And I usually vape on these, right around 7 Watts on my eVic.
    .... So what works best for you guys, when building a Microcoil on the Protank??

    I've heard of some people building lower Ω micro's, around 1-1.6Ω. I've seen people building dual microcoils, though mainly these are for dripper's and such, which I plan to get into very soon (if I ever buy a mech lol). I've seen a youtube video on a "Nano-Coil" for the protank, which seemed like a smaller version of the Microcoil, but the guy was running it around 16Watts!! I seem to get the best flavor around 7W?? But I feel like I'm missing something there..

    So what is your favorite Microcoil build for your Protank?? Do you use 30gauge Kanthal, cotton wick? How many wraps do you like, and at what resistance (Ω)? Just trying to see what works best, before I get into RDA's and mech's and such.. I really want to build that dual-microcoil eventually, when I get a mech and learn more!!
    ... Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Moved On ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    716
    Posts
    593

    Default

    It seems my best microcoils are at about 1.8-2.2Ω.. Any higher in resistance and they heat up too slow and don't give me that thick, flavorful vapor.. Any lower than 1.8Ω and I get lots of vapor, but it seems the flavor isn't as good; like it gets too hot if I go lower than 1.8.. This is all with 30gauge Kanthal and cotton-wick!
    Trayce, Dampmaskin and kachuge like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Verified Member JayEatsAirplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    158

    Default

    30ga kanthal, 5-6 wraps and surgical cotton from CVS. I wanna say about 1.6Ω. Vapes very nicely on an MVP 2
    JonnyB88, gerrymi and timw69 like this.

  4. #4
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    MacTechVpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Posts
    1,357
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M_DuBb716 View Post
    Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted.. I've been building MicroCoils for my Protank 1 & 2 for a couple months now. Absolutely love them!! I run my microcoils on my eVic, so I haven't ventured into the sub-ohm/dual-coil/etc. "world" yet to compare - but rebuilding these MC's is sooo much better than paying extra for the crappy stock-manufactured coils!!

    I know there's a few threads out there already about Microcoils on the Protank and such, but I'm typing this, to try and find out what works best when building an MC (microcoil) for the Protank.. After a few months of experimenting - the best build for me (so far), is when I use 30gauge Kanthal and Cotton-Balls for wick material. My micro's seem to function best when I get about 9-11 tight wraps, coming in around 1.8-2.2Ω.. And I usually vape on these, right around 7 Watts on my eVic.
    .... So what works best for you guys, when building a Microcoil on the Protank??

    I've heard of some people building lower Ω micro's, around 1-1.6Ω. I've seen people building dual microcoils, though mainly these are for dripper's and such, which I plan to get into very soon (if I ever buy a mech lol). I've seen a youtube video on a "Nano-Coil" for the protank, which seemed like a smaller version of the Microcoil, but the guy was running it around 16Watts!! I seem to get the best flavor around 7W?? But I feel like I'm missing something there..

    So what is your favorite Microcoil build for your Protank?? Do you use 30gauge Kanthal, cotton wick? How many wraps do you like, and at what resistance (Ω)? Just trying to see what works best, before I get into RDA's and mech's and such.. I really want to build that dual-microcoil eventually, when I get a mech and learn more!!
    ... Thanks in advance!
    M, You might want to take a look at Metalhed's thread...Protank Cotton Rebuild, the way I do it...an excellent discussion on technique.

    Here are some of my 28G results for the original Protank...

    28AWG, 12/11, 1/16-1.58mm i.d., m.c. = 1.8Ω+?
    28AWG, 12/11, 1/16-1.75mm i.d., m.c. = 1.8Ω+?
    28AWG, 10/9, 2mm i.d. (XC-132), m.c.= 1.7Ω Fair @3.4V, 6.8W with 1/16 f/w, throttled
    28AWG, 10/9, 2mm i.d. (0/1 Cotton Sq. Braid), m.c.= 1.64Ω Great vape @3.3V, 6.5W (zMax&eVic LOVES) Clogs Quick!
    28AWG, 10/9, 2mm i.d. (2.5mm Silica), microcoil= 1.62Ω Great vape @3.5V, 7.5W (Sigelei FT Rev3 LOVES)
    28AWG, 10/9, 2mm i.d. (2.5mm Silica), microcoil= 1.62Ω Good vape @3.5V, 8W (Sigelei FT Rev3)
    28AWG, 9/8, 2mm i.d. (2.5mm Silica), microcoil= 1.49Ω Great vape @MAX 3.5V, 8W (sloped Sigelei Rev3 likes)
    28AWG, 9/8, 2mm i.d. (2.5mm Silica), microcoil= 1.49Ω Great vape @3.5V, 7.5W (Sigelei Rev3 LOVES)
    28AWG, 9/8, 2mm i.d. (2.5mm Silica), microcoil= 1.49Ω Great vape @3.5V, 7.0W (Sigelei Rev3 LOVES)
    28AWG, 8/7 2mm i.d. (2.5mm Silica), microcoil= 1.3Ω N/G, No Load

    I'm using some lower resistance wind directly out of Protank's into RDA's I use such as the Forge.

    I've been building mini's and micro's since I was a month in accruing tables of resistance results with a variety of winds and wire/wick media. I've shared a number of optimal observations on thie preceding thread and others.

    Perhaps we would do so here as this title is likely to result in better returns for newb searches. Metalhed's thread is quite good.

    See ya on here.

    Good luck!


    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity—Seneca the Younger

  5. #5
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    JonnyB88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Elgin, IL, USA
    Posts
    1,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayEatsAirplane View Post
    30ga kanthal, 5-6 wraps and surgical cotton from CVS. I wanna say about 1.6Ω. Vapes very nicely on an MVP 2
    Yeah, you're welcome on that one.


    Anyhoo, for my PT1's/2's I like 26AWG. 8 wraps. Sterile rolled cotton from CVS as my wick. Roughly .7Ω
    Top my Magneto with that, and then I wait for my REO batts to finish charging. Haha.

    But, I think a good question for cotton users in their Protanks:
    Are you using flavor wicks?
    JayEatsAirplane likes this.

  6. #6
    Administrator Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    retired1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17,493
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Moved to Clearomizers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Verified Member JayEatsAirplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB88 View Post
    Yeah, you're welcome on that one.


    Anyhoo, for my PT1's/2's I like 26AWG. 8 wraps. Sterile rolled cotton from CVS as my wick. Roughly .7Ω
    Top my Magneto with that, and then I wait for my REO batts to finish charging. Haha.

    But, I think a good question for cotton users in their Protanks:
    Are you using flavor wicks?


    Thank you sir.
    JonnyB88 likes this.

  8. #8
    Moved On ECF Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    716
    Posts
    593

    Cool Thanks for the replies everyone!!

    I forgot to mention, I wrap my Kanthal around a 1/16" drill bit - and slide a piece of rolled cotton through the finished coil, and a small piece on top.. I've been wanting to try a 5/64" bit to wrap around, but haven't tried it yet.

    Jay, thanks for the reply! you say you get about 1.6Ω, with 5/6 wraps of 30ga.. You must be building a different diameter coil than I do (I use the 1/16th bit), because if I only wrapped 5/6 times I would get a lower resistance than 1.6.. Right now I have a 30ga coil that was wrapped 11/12 times and it's coming in at 2.2Ω on my eVic.. I think I would need 7/8 wraps of 30ga to get 1.6Ω

    ..... And 30gauge Kanthal seems to work best for me. I've tried 28gauge, and thought the thicker wire would work better, but it took too long to heat up in my eVic. And I had to wrap at LEAST 11 wraps, usually 12/13, or the resistance would be too low for my eVic.. Maybe I need to experiment with 28ga again

    Mac, thanks for the great input! I'm suprised I never came along that thread, I've been searching all over these forums for protank/microcoil threads. Very interesting results too, maybe I should experiment with lower gauges again, maybe wrap at different diameters (than 1/16") next time??

    Jonny, thanks for the reply!! Yes I use cotton, and yes I do use a flavor wick - Usually slightly smaller than the wick I slide through the coil.. I really need to get a mechanical battery so I can experiment with lower resistances (Ω) and maybe try new gauges of wire and wrapping wider/narrower coils.

    I've never wrapped a microcoil on anything other than the 1/16" drill bit

    Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    Moved to Clearomizers.
    JonnyB88, gerrymi and MacTechVpr like this.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Multiversal
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB88 View Post
    But, I think a good question for cotton users in their Protanks:
    Are you using flavor wicks?
    Nope. But I vape near-100% VG and use a dense cotton wick (compressed with fingers and twisted before running through MC).

  10. #10
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I build a vertical microcoil on my protank.
    7 wraps of 28awg on a 2mm (5/64) drilbit, and some coton around it.
    That 1.4ohms that I vape at 9/10 watts.

    Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!-rimg0018.jpg

    Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!-rimg0015.jpg

Page 1 of 161 123451151101 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks