Protank 3 Coil Discrepancy - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Protank 3 Coil Discrepancy

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorthWestVapour View Post
    The old coils may fit and fire in the PT3 but they are NOT safe. Maybe it's just my PT3 but when I put in the old coils into it the ohm flux anywhere from 1.8-3 ohms. Which cannot be safe to vape on has this happened with anyone else? I've tried 3 separate coils, all the same result. To be honest, pretty damn disappointed with the Pt3. In other news... The newest "protank" is under works right now. A dual coil Pyrex tank that has air control named "aero tank" ... I hope this one isn't as disappointing and the coils are better.
    flux ? Did you mean fluctuates?

Are you saying that you tested the coils by themselves and they were not fluctuating, but when you put them in the tank, then they fluctuate? And other coils don't fluctuate?

Maybe the measurement fluctuates when the coil in on the tank and is wet, especially if there is water in the liquid.

In any case, even if the ohms fluctuated between 1.8 and 3, no there would be no safety problem; unless 1.8 is considered unsafe.

More likely the contacts were wet and the wetness caused the fluctuation in the measurement.

Full Member Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs C View Post
    The one vid I saw where the pt 3 coils was disassembled looked like rebuilding might be an issue. The person had to break it to get to the actual coil wires. I'm holding off on getting a 3 until i more info is out on it.
    I just took one apart and the disassembly is the same as any other protank coil. Nothing you need to break. Mine was burnt out tho and it came away from the second coil so I'm not sure how they were rigged. Checking online now.

Sent from my Droid to the Maxx

Looks like it's two micro coils with some flavor wick between them. Shouldn't be a tough build. Just need to determine gauge and wrap amounts.

Bottom coil looked like an 8 wrap and top coil looked to be 10. I saw a video on YouTube and the kid used 30g and it came out around 1.1 ohm so I'm going to try the build with 32g

Also the bottom coil looked fatter so I'm going to use a 3/32 drill bit and 5/64 for the top

So my first try produced a 0.5 ohm dual coil. Back to the drawing board.

Don't mean to thread jack, but has anyone noticed a difference in coil quality between replacement packs?

I bought my first 5pk of coils from one local shop and I see the threading that matches the PT3 base is flattened. Bought a second pack of coils elsewhere and the threading comes to a point.

From my experience the coils with flattened threading last twice as long as those with the pointed threading.

I haven't gotten any replacements yet. Still working on the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by DisKid View Post
    I haven't gotten any replacements yet. Still working on the rebuild.

I just got a kayfun clone. Keeping my pt3 as a back up let me know how the coil build went

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

My PT 3 came with the long coil heads and it has dual parallel coils. Wonder if anyone else got these.
    Last edited by Canis; 02-20-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234