Disappointed with Vision Nano, low vapour & harsh - did I get a dud?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Disappointed with Vision Nano, low vapour & harsh - did I get a dud?

Default Disappointed with Vision Nano, low vapour & harsh - did I get a dud?

Picked up a Vision Nano yesterday, for my Joyetech 510T. At first there was a bad plastic taste, but that's gone now. I've gone through nearly a whole tankful of FlavourArt 50PG/40VG.

The problem is, compared to the stock 510T, it gives noticeably less vapour, and is quite harsh - enough to make me cough. It's not exactly a burnt taste, but maybe getting close. I let it soak overnight, but no change. Disappointing, because I'd read a lot of good comments about it.

Hard to say, but it seems like maybe it's just not getting enough liquid throughput to the coil? It's 1.8 ohms (I tested it), so I guess it also burns a bit hotter than the stock one. The stock one sort of crackles a bit while drawing, but this one gives more like one or two louder pop sounds near the end.

Did I maybe just get a bad one? Not sure what to expect. Shouldn't it be an improvement over the stock 510T? People talked about "lots of vapour", etc... I guess it's cheap enough I could try another one, but hate to throw good money after bad...

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Although I can’t be sure exactly what problem you have, it sounds like you may have burned the filler material around the coil the first time you used it.

Inside the coil chamber, a Nano has filler material that wicks your juice to the coil. If that filler is not completely saturated with juice before you fire the coil the first time, it will burn. Once the filler is burned, you’ll probably never completely get rid of the bad taste.

After filling a Nano for the first time, put your finger over the battery end and take several long hard draws. This helps suck juice into the filler material. Then let the Nano soak for a while before using it the first time.

I don’t really like the design of the Nano. For a cig-a-like size clearomizer, I like the Kanger T4 better, and I’ve heard the E-Smart is pretty good too.

J.R.
    Izan likes this.

"If you're not at the table; you're on the menu."

Sorry to say, my trials with the nano's have been disappointing.

As mentioned the T-4s and the Kanger 510E-smarts are exponentially better.
    Try one of each next time you order.

Have fun
    I
    civilly disobedient

Izan, can you tell me what disappointed you? It would be great to get some feedback from other people who've used the Nano, about what I should expect compared to the stock 510T - more/less vapour, change in throat hit, difference in power level? I'm trying to figure out if I just got a bad one, or if they're always this way... because otherwise I like it, easy to fill, looks ok, no problem with leaking so far, less than half the price of the Joyetech atty, etc.

I looked at the Kanger T4/Esmart, but I thought I wanted a bottom coil, I read they have a very "airy" draw, and also I find them kind of ugly - and none of my usual suppliers here carry them. But maybe I'll try to get one for comparison.

WorksForMe, hm, it's not a burnt flavour like the filler got burned. Mainly it's a very harsh throat hit, although the vape seems rather thin compared to the stock 510T atty. I think I'm maybe a bit sensitive to PG, I find the throat hit of the e-cigarette much stronger than an analog; with the stock 510T it's tolerable, but with the Nano, it's not - I literally cough and choke on it. From what I've read here, the more power (higher voltage and/or lower ohms), the stronger the throat hit - is that right? And, if you get too much power, it will start to be harsh, like the liquid itself is starting to burn? I'm kind of a newbie, so I'm never really sure what to expect... but it seems like it could be a combination of the lower ohms, plus a problem with not enough liquid wicking in, that's causing it to be thin and harsh. Just trying to figure out if this is normal for the Nano, or if I should try another one...
    Last edited by Nada Nix; 12-14-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

deleting post should have paid more attention.
    Last edited by Traver; 12-14-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    edyle likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

i still have my v-nanos

was my first clearos that i got after spending time on disposables

they were my first refillables.

Now theyre a good pocket backup;

What I dont like about them:
    1: plastic; wish it was glass tank; plastic mouthpiece.
    2: can't change the atomiser.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I was just looking up the specs for the Joyetech 510T. The largest Joyetech 510T 280Mah. If that's correct I would think that !.8ohm carto is too low of a resistance for this battery. Could that be the problem?

Traver, I don't know. The vision website says it's designed "for the 510 electronic cigarette", and lots of people have said it works well with the 510 stick batteries. Certainly the battery charge won't last as long. But the batteries are 3.3V regulated, same as the regular Ego batteries, so there shouldn't be much of a difference while they're running. I don't think 3.3V is too high for the Nano, and I don't think mine is behaving as though the voltage is too low. But this is all kind of theoretical for me, I don't have much actual experience.

Anyway, would be good to hear from people who've used both the stock 510T and the Nano on the same 510 stick battery, so I can get an idea of how I should expect them to behave, compared to each other. For example, if the Nano normally gives noticeably more vapour than the stock 510T, then there's something wrong with my Nano...

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I don't think the low ohm carto explains your problem either. The harshness usually comes from lack of wicking or too high a voltatage for the coil. There is nothing unusual about getting a bad carto of any type. My advice is just get another and come back to it later when you know how it should taste.

The 1.8ohm coil is still a concern to me and here's why;
    The problem is not to low a voltage. When they say it works with 510 batteries that does not mean it will work with any 510 battery. Every lithium battery has a minimum safe discharge rate set by the manufacturer. If you exceed that rate you can dramatically shorten the life of the battery. Another possibility is that some of the cells in the battery get damaged and that can lead to a violent venting situation.
    This is a regulated battery and it should shut down if it's limits are exceeded. With a 1.8 ohm coil I would have expected the circuit inside to shut it down.

Hopefully someone who knows this battery better will add something.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nada Nix View Post
    Picked up a Vision Nano yesterday, for my Joyetech 510T. At first there was a bad plastic taste, but that's gone now. I've gone through nearly a whole tankful of FlavourArt 50PG/40VG.

The problem is, compared to the stock 510T, it gives noticeably less vapour, and is quite harsh - enough to make me cough. It's not exactly a burnt taste, but maybe getting close. I let it soak overnight, but no change. Disappointing, because I'd read a lot of good comments about it.

Hard to say, but it seems like maybe it's just not getting enough liquid throughput to the coil? It's 1.8 ohms (I tested it), so I guess it also burns a bit hotter than the stock one. The stock one sort of crackles a bit while drawing, but this one gives more like one or two louder pop sounds near the end.

Did I maybe just get a bad one? Not sure what to expect. Shouldn't it be an improvement over the stock 510T? People talked about "lots of vapour", etc... I guess it's cheap enough I could try another one, but hate to throw good money after bad...
    I'm a little confused;

you picked up a v-nano for your joyetech 510T. SO your joyetech 510T is a battery.

Compared to the stock 510T it gives noticeably less vapour; SO the stock 510T is another tank.

Now the stock 510T you mention would probably be a tank with a wick;

The v-nano is designed like a carto, with a big wad of absorbent material sitting on top of the coil; so when you draw on a v-nano or a carto, some of the fog generated by the coil gets reabsorbed by the wad of stuff so I'd expect to get less fog; fine for smokeless nicotine delivery systems, but not a great performer for a hobbie foggerholic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast