anything other than alcohol to clean tanks and etties with? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: anything other than alcohol to clean tanks and etties with?

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndriaD View Post
    White vinegar is exactly what I recommended, z-man...

Andria
    What's that Old Saying... "Great Minds Think Alike."

LOL

BTW - Love your Avatar. Is that your Cat by any Chance?

Blabbertypist Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    What's that Old Saying... "Great Minds Think Alike."

LOL

Nah, mine's a tuxedo... Name:  tuxieavatar.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  13.1 KB

Our formal-wear wearing kitty... except she forgot to take off one white sock...

Andria
    zoiDman likes this.
    This time...

Interested in vaping? Come visit me at http://angryvaper.crypticsites.com !

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I was responding to various parts of this thread, and this new keyboard has a stupid "power" button almost RIGHT above the damn backspace... I hit it accidentally, it closed the browser, and left me sitting here cussing.... so I went to the bathroom and pulled an empty toilet-paper roll from the trashcan, used a razor knife to cut a slit in it, and have it wrapped around the top edge of the keyboard, so I don't hit that damn power button (or the F12 to open the CSS editor!) anymore!!!! When I finally finish the roll of paper towels that's almost done, I plan to use that instead, to wrap around the entire row of F-keys! ARGHHHH!!!!

Anyway, yes, acetone will dissolve all sorts of things, starting with rayon (learned this with a Barbie dress when I was still in single digits!!), and running the gamut thru many plastics -- not a good idea at all with plastic tanks. It also takes your breath away, and I dunno, might even be one of those chemicals that folks could get high on, so really not a very good idea for a recovering person, and a really bad idea for cleaning anything made of polymer.

Vinegar is an excellent cleaner for MANY things -- glass, stainless steel, floors, all kinds of plastics... it doesn't smell very good, that's true, but gets the job done admirably, and won't cause an "industrial accident" (or gasping for breath!)!! (and I really don't know anyone who's ever been tempted to drink it!!)

Andria
    zoiDman, Robdob, SleeZy and 1 others like this.
    This time...

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndriaD View Post

Vinegar is an excellent cleaner for MANY things -- glass, stainless steel, floors, all kinds of plastics... it doesn't smell very good, that's true, but gets the job done admirably, and won't cause an "industrial accident" (or gasping for breath!)!! (and I really don't know anyone who's ever been tempted to drink it!!)

Andria
    Yeah... Vinegar is one of those 1,000 and 1 type Products.

Got a Slow Drain but Don't Like pouring Chemicals in it? Or are you about to Break Out the BBQ and you Find you can Barely see thru the Grille? It also will Remove Rust without Etching by just Soaking Parts in it overnight.

And it is a Fraction of the Cost of a Cabinet full of "Specialty" Cleaners or Fixes in a Bottle.
    AndriaD and guitardoc64 like this.

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    You may have noticed, I change my avatar a lot -- I change it to suit my mood. I did have that snarling cross-eyed kitten, because I was feeling so frustrated. Now that I've found this "Virginia" flavor, I feel like those dogs that tilt their head when they hear something new and interesting... but, I seem to be changing from a "dog person" to a "cat person"... that little guy with the tilted head PERFECTLY expresses my surprise and delight to find this e-juice that's so similar to the taste of my VA slims!

Andria

PS: I just remembered what I was trying to type when I hit that damn power button -- the reason why I stick on that "and a half" to my 21 yrs... my sobriety date is aug 14, so my half-year mark is Valentines Day... my husband gave me a card for Valentines Day, but I was like, you know it's my half-year mark... don't you love me anymore????
    zoiDman and IamMe like this.
    This time...

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

thanks everyone for the congrats on being sober (it took hitting rock bottom but it was worth it, i do feel so much better). 12 yrs of being drunk 5 days a week is no way to live and man time really goes slower now, in a good way. feels so good to be smoke free too.

and congrats to those who posted in this thread that they are sober too.

also thanks for all the responses. looks like i will try vinegar, especially since we some in the kitchen already.
    Robdob, 44shooter, AndriaD and 2 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I know all about that damn bottom... when it's so bad, not only do you not want it to be any worse, you never want it to be THIS bad ever again!! And yep it can be a real challenge at first, even the first few years, but it does get better, and easier, and pretty soon it's "default" -- it would take me a great deal more effort to get drunk, now, than just stay sober and glad to be that way. But, those damn Sunday beer commercials always have made me get up and go out for a smoke.... guess now I'll get up and go put my eRoll on the charger for a while..

Andria
    Last edited by AndriaD; 02-20-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typo
    chinolofus likes this.
    This time...

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I started using fizzing denture cleaner. Works great. They are formulated to be anti bacterial as well.

Vinegar is fine too. Try both, see which you like.
    chinolofus, Janet, amoret and 1 others like this.

TC's given: ~9/27/12~ ~ 11/17/2012~~04/01/2013/TC rec'd: 03/09/2013

Moved On
    Blog Entries

I recall reading that some peeps soak cartomizers in Coca-Cola to help clean the coils. Some kind of acid in Coke, phosphoric I think, supposedly helps.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkel View Post
    I recall reading that some peeps soak cartomizers in Coca-Cola to help clean the coils. Some kind of acid in Coke, phosphoric I think, supposedly helps.
    Not Coke. Diet Coke.

Regular Soda are Chocked Full of High Fructos Corn Syrup. Which is hard to get out of Wicks.
    chinolofus likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast