anything other than alcohol to clean tanks and etties with?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: anything other than alcohol to clean tanks and etties with?

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default anything other than alcohol to clean tanks and etties with?

im an alcoholic (sober 3 yrs) so i cant have alcohol in my house. i see everyone saying they use vodka or everclear since that is not an option for me what else can i use? im not really a big fan of the idea of using rubbing alcohol either. just seems unsafe (says the former smoker who smoked 40+ cigs a day lol).

edit: oops i meant atties not etties.
    Last edited by chinolofus; 02-19-2014 at 05:47 AM.
    Robdob likes this.

Super Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

hot water, some folks use a drop of dish soap and rinse the heck out of it, if you want to experiment, you could put the pieces in a tea strainer and run them through the dishwasher, but I have not done that and can't guarantee the results

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

ive been using hot water now...figured there is probably a better way. i dont have a dishwasher either. i put them in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner but it didnt seem to do anything more than the plain hot water did.

Blabbertypist Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chinolofus View Post
    im an alcoholic (sober 3 yrs) so i cant have alcohol in my house. i see everyone saying they use vodka or everclear since that is not an option for me what else can i use? im not really a big fan of the idea of using rubbing alcohol either. just seems unsafe (says the former smoker who smoked 40+ cigs a day lol).

Hey, happy 3 yrs... I'm just past 21 1/2... so I know exactly the frustration of folks tossing around suggestions about using grain alcohol for various things -- I wouldn't drink it if it *was* here, but why waste good money on poison?

I rinse my tanks out with hot water... then fill a small bowl with clean water, and put in a splash of white vinegar... then I take a dropper and fill the tanks with the water/vinegar mix and let 'em soak for at least a day... it gets rid of odors really well. I just did essentially the same thing tonight with a graduated tube I was using to mix some stuff; I didn't leave it soaking so long, because I was afraid it would get knocked over and make a mess, so it didn't *quite* remove the odor, so I rinsed it again, and filled it with a very weak soap solution, which I'll dump and rinse before bed.

I'm told that atomizers (I use the really small eGo-C Type A, for my eRoll) can be rinsed with hot water, but I haven't yet gotten brave enough to try that. Maybe after I get some more atomizers, I'll give it a go.

Hope that helps... I don't know what sort of "tanks" you have, but if they're the really big ones, I guess all same would apply, as far as rinsing with water, soaking in clear water with a splash of vinegar. The acetic acid in the vinegar gets rid of just about anything.

Another good friend of Bill W...
    Andria

Smoke-free and

Contrary to popular belief (and your nose), acetone is an organic solvent that is not toxic, and evaporates cleanly. You should be able to use a pure (100%) acetone solution in lieu of grain (ethyl) alcohol.

Acetone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by names View Post
    Contrary to popular belief (and your nose), acetone is an organic solvent that is not toxic, and evaporates cleanly. You should be able to use a pure (100%) acetone solution in lieu of grain (ethyl) alcohol.

Maybe so, but dear god, the smell of it!!! It takes my breath away completely to have it anywhere near (asthma!); vinegar doesn't really smell *good*, but it won't give you an asthma attack, and it won't eat holes in rayon fabric either. And most folks already have it!

Andria
    guitardoc64 likes this.

Smoke-free and

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by chinolofus View Post

Have you tried White Vinegar?

It works Great, is Cheap, and is Safe to have Around. And if you give your Tanks / Attys a thorough Rinse, there is No After Taste.

And a BIG Way to Go on 3 Years! I'm coming up on 18 Months. And have Never Felt Better.
    chinolofus, pt91, Robdob and 3 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

White vinegar is exactly what I recommended, z-man...

Andria
    zoiDman likes this.

Smoke-free and

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndriaD View Post
    Hey, happy 3 yrs... I'm just past 21 1/2... so I know exactly the frustration of folks tossing around suggestions about using grain alcohol for various things -- I wouldn't drink it if it *was* here, but why waste good money on poison?

Another good friend of Bill W...
    Very Cool AndriaD. XXI is Outstanding.

It is Amazing what Recovery, Unity and Service can Do!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by names View Post

Acetone would be the LAST Thing I would Recommend.

Because of It's Ability to Break Down Many Type of Plastics and Synthetic Rubber. Like the Ones that Maybe be Found in Tanks or Attys.
    guitardoc64 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast