Never rebuilt a coil before...Need some assistance! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Never rebuilt a coil before...Need some assistance!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Take the protank head with you to the hardware store and find either a allen key or drill bit that fits into the slots of the head. 5 wraps of 32 gauge should land you @ 1.8 ohms and 6 wraps will put you @ 2.0 ohm. I use a bead threader to put my wicking into the coil, one of the harder parts of rebuilding is knowing how much cotton to put into the build, it should be able to slide back and forth with very little resistance.
    A quick rebuild, you dryburn the spent protank head, remove the stock silica wick, dryburn the naked coil clean of all crusties. Pull the swab off a Qtip, stretch the fibers some and remove about 1/3 of the cotton and twist the remaining 2/3 into a point and insert into the naked coil, you then trim with nail clippers. Same with this is you just want the wick to slide back and forth with little resistance. Put it back together(your probably not going to need a flavor wick), prime and have a vape, but be sitting down cause your going to have to wait for your eyes to unroll out of the back of your head. That was my first rebuild over a year ago and I haven't used a stock head since.
    julesb and Amy87 like this.

Numbers reflect the savings by both my wife and I quitting at the same time.
    Our Independence Day was March 25, 2013.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by julesb View Post
    I have never attempted to rebuild a coil before. Only issue: I have NO idea how to do it or where to start I need to know what I should buy, and also how to do it!
    I'm so glad you started this thread. I am also about to venture into coil building and wanted some advice. After watching a couple of You Tube tutorials I was amazed at how simple the process is. I've never been one to tinker, but I really think I can do this!

My main question is, is it really important to use "sterile" cotton? I couldn't find any at CVS (looked in the first aid section, all they had were sterile gauze) I found cotton in the make-up section, but non of it said sterile. I'm just wondering, after smoking cancer sticks for 28 years, does it really matter if that tiny bit of cotton in my coil is not sterile?
    julesb and Rat2chat2 like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Amy87 View Post
    I'm so glad you started this thread. I am also about to venture into coil building and wanted some advice. After watching a couple of You Tube tutorials I was amazed at how simple the process is. I've never been one to tinker, but I really think I can do this!

My main question is, is it really important to use "sterile" cotton? I couldn't find any at CVS (looked in the first aid section, all they had were sterile gauze) I found cotton in the make-up section, but non of it said sterile. I'm just wondering, after smoking cancer sticks for 28 years, does it really matter if that tiny bit of cotton in my coil is not sterile?
    This is a CVS brand medical grade latex-free cotton balls made from a fine cotton fiber. Cost $3.19 for a box of 130. The cotton fiber is ready for use right out of the box. Grate absorption and no burning/chemical taste/smell. Very easy to handle to make wicks and coil well wraps.

If you don't want to rebuild your Kanger coils, you can get a 5 pack of them in multiple ohms for 5.99 from Discount Vapes.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

You don't even have to replace the coil most of the time, re-wicking with cotton (or rayon) makes a big improvement.
    Pull out silica wick, dry burn, insert cotton wick. Stop throwing away your protank coils – ITCVapes
    julesb likes this.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amy87 View Post

Heck, I don't boil my cotton yarn that I use for flavor wicks, didn't boil my cotton for wicks in KayFuns, and don't boil my cellucotton for the same.

I never boiled my cigs, either, and none of those packages ever said "sterile."
    Amy87 likes this.

I ended up ordering this 50 pack of premade coils. I also bought a thing of 3 ft wick. It had free shipping, but it said it could take a month or longer for it to get here. So I paid $1.99 for expedited shipping. It arrived in 5 days. My total was less than $6. It should make a good 40 coils (this is minus the few that I screw up on lol). The local store I usually buy my coils from sells a 5 pk for $10. And I go through a pack a week. So I saved myself a good $90! I am really pleased with these coils too. It makes rebuilding SO simple. I just watched a video (the one I posted as a reply earlier on this thread) and followed all the steps minus wrapping the wick with the coils. I highly recommend to anyone who is just starting to rebuild to get this 50 pack like I did =) It's been a life saver. So to the person who recommended them to me, thank you!! And here is the link f anyone else is curious! http://www.fasttech.com/products/1593904
    Last edited by julesb; 08-03-2014 at 04:39 AM.
    Amy87 likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by julesb View Post
    I ended up ordering this 50 pack of premade coils. I also bought a thing of 3 ft wick. It had free shipping, but it said it could take a month or longer for it to get here. So I paid $1.99 for expedited shipping. It arrived in 5 days. My total was less than $6. It should make a good 40 coils (this is minus the few that I screw up on lol). The local store I usually buy my coils from sells a 5 pk for $10. And I go through a pack a week. So I saved myself a good $90! I am really pleased with these coils too. It makes rebuilding SO simple. I just watched a video (the one I posted as a reply earlier on this thread) and followed all the steps minus wrapping the wick with the coils. I highly recommend to anyone who is just starting to rebuild to get this 50 pack like I did =) It's been a life saver. So to the person who recommended them to me, thank you!! And here is the link f anyone else is curious! $3.87 Pre-Coiled Welded Wires w/ Wicks - NR-R-NR (50-Pack) 50-pack - 32 AWG / 1.5ohm / 4-wick at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    That is awesome, I didn't even know they were sold that way! Gonna get me some of those for sure!

I see they come in 1 or 4 wrapped wicks. The evods I use now look like there is only one wick wrapped in wire. Is there any advantage to the 4 wick wraps? Would that even fit in the evod head?
    Last edited by Amy87; 08-03-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12