Never rebuilt a coil before...Need some assistance!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Never rebuilt a coil before...Need some assistance!

Default Never rebuilt a coil before...Need some assistance!

I am sure this question has been asked...but in the past hour I have been searching, I cannot seem to find what I am looking for. So I apologize if this is a repeat!
    I have never attempted to rebuild a coil before. I have a tank that isn't very popular that I got from my local shop. It is called SMOK PBCV2. It uses the Kanger Protank coils. I go through a 5 pack in about 5-6 days. And it SUCKS. After about a day of use it starts getting a disgusting burnt taste. I am just sick of having to go to the store every few days and dish out another $12. So I figure I may as well try to rebuild the coils myself. Only issue: I have NO idea how to do it or where to start I need to know what I should buy, and also how to do it! I use a Joyetech passthrough and 2.2-2.4 ohm coils. I am not very good at fixing/making things. And I don't know all the terms and such used for any of this. So if you do have some words of wisdom for me...please talk to me like I have no idea what any of it means lol. Anyways, could really use some help! Thanks in advance <3 Jules

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Welcome to ecf julesb. So glad you are here but sorry you are having some problems with the coils. It looks like they should be lasting longer than they are to me. And yes you can build a coil. I am proof of that. There are so many great YouTube Videos on rebuilding that seem to help me the most. There are several ways for you to save some money rebuilding. Fasttech sales pre made coils/wicks that I have used and have been very pleased with them. The only thing is it can take some time to get to you. I am talking 2 weeks to 3 months. To save money it really doesn't bother me. https://www.fasttech.com/products/1593904

You can also order Kanthal and silica and wrap your own which is not hard to do either. When I was building ProTanks and evod's I used 32 gauge Kanthal which I got from here and thought it was a good price and very fast shipping. Lightning Vapes - Florida - All the RBA Materials you need! Silica Wick, Ekowool, Kanthal Wire, and more!

I know that it can be a little overwhelming at first but believe me.....after you get the supplies and do the first couple it gets a lot easier.

You may have other questions and don't hesitate to ask. There are always some wonderful people around here that love to help any way they can. I think that is what is so wonderful about ecf.

Good luck to you and hurry up and start saving that money. You can buy more juice (DIY is easy too and save a bunch). If you are buying juice here is a thread where you can find some really good deals. Deals and Steals

Sorry, I don't mean to throw so much at you at one time. If you have any question feel free to pm me. I won't have all the answers but I know who to ask.
    julesb likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran ElConquistador's Avatar

Watch a couple dozen videos and you'll be itching to give it a try. First few might be difficult, but I promise you that you'll soon be feeling like an expert.

Super Member ECF Veteran ElConquistador's Avatar

...and once you're a coiling wizard, look into using cotton for your wicks. 99% of the burned taste is due to gunk on the coils. With cotton, you pull it out, dry burn the coil, stick a new wick in, and get back to vaping.
    julesb likes this.

i found this super easy to follow video in case anyone else is needing help and comes across this post =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHLJ92Lvx8
    MalkinMania71 likes this.

thanks for all your advice. i totally appreciate it! i took a look at the premade coils you were talking about. so these ones do fit the protank? are all coils the same and can fit any device?? in case i go look somewhere else for faster shipping
    Rat2chat2 likes this.

Admin
    Ask The Vets Manager
    Asst Classifieds Manager
    Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Supporting the Rules I agreed to when I joined this Forum

Moved to Clearomizers from the Modding Forum

This is also a simple to follow "how to" video :

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Get one of these to easily wrap perfect coils every time:

Coils made easy

If you haven't joined up to CASAA, I'm doing a little membership drive, and there's a young lady who'll coil you up some to try. It's completely free:

A PIF for New ECF and CASAA Members

Super Member ECF Veteran

Step 1 : Go to CVS to get "Sterile Cotton Balls" (not a regular ones!) in "First aid" section. You have a perfect wick now.
    Step 2 : Take apart all used coil heads you have,remove coils and soak them in the water for a few minutes.
    Step 3 : Remove dirty wick/gunk from the coil, wash it and gently straiten it up.
    Step 4 : Take 1/16" drill beat or alien key and make a new coil (5-6 loops).
    Step 5 : Roll some cotton and tread it through the new coil.
    Step 6 : Put everything back together.
    Done.

Attention! Kanger Duo has a led in it (they welded shorter coil to a main one). Use only a bigger one.
    Last edited by Andyhrn; 07-19-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    julesb likes this.

I think rebuilding your coils will be great but have you tried cleaning the ones you have? I use vinigar but you can also use vodka or just plain water. Just soak for a bit let dry. Then do a dry burn where you just put the coil on the battery without the top tank peice. Pulse for 2-3 seconds at a time until gunk burns off. Then soak or rinse again. There are lots of instructions/videos on how to do it. Just Google dry burn! VERY simple and you can do it over and over and over again. I haven't lost a coil yet been vaping 7 weeks rotating thru 4 coils! Goodluck!

1. Soak for 15 min to overnight. Whatever you prefer

2 let air dry

3 do a dry burn

4 soak again to get rid of any ash or burn taste from doing the dry burn

5 good to go. Repeat whenever you want to keep coil in good condition!
    Last edited by sashim80; 07-20-2014 at 02:14 AM.
    julesb likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast