Improves service life of aluminum electrical applications

Pematex states this for their dielectric grease:
    Protects electrical connections and wiring from salt, dirt and corrosion
    Prevents voltage leaks around any electrical connection
    Extends the life of bulb sockets
    Required for modern high energy ignition systems

Permatex states this for their anti-seize lubricant:
    Highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants
    Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant, this lubricant is ideal for marine use
    Prevents galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easier disassembly

Which is better? (in your opinion) and why? Just curious because they all seem to work at stopping corrosion and lubricating parts. I know certain lubricants work good for their specific design. For instance, I know that using a small amount of silicone grease to rubber o-rings stops the o-rings from rotting. But I never used petroleum jelly because the oils will break down o-rings.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran Lisaf01's Avatar

It's really not necessary to worry too much about the micro-detail on these things. If you have any one of those on-hand, use it if you need to. If you need to go out and buy something, buy either the noalox or I'd say the anti-seize lubricant would be better than the dialectric grease.
    The issue in the UK is that you cannot pick these things up easily and we have to import Noalox to get it in quantity, it's not in shops here.

Apologies for bumping an old thread here, but can anyone tell me if theres a reason not to use graphite?

It seems to be to be the better option as it's dry and also conductive

Supplier Associate ECF Veteran vapn's Avatar

Don't see why not, but it is a bit messy. I'd say use it sparingly....

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorsefkn View Post
    Apologies for bumping an old thread here, but can anyone tell me if theres a reason not to use graphite?

It seems to be to be the better option as it's dry and also conductive
    Graphite is generally considered a no-no on aluminum parts, at least in the aerospace industry. I'm not sure exactly why, I think they react with each other and can actually cause corrosion.

Would never-seez be a good application to use? The only reason I ask is because I have it available at my work and was curious. It contains aluminum powder,copper powder, petroleum grease, synthetic graphite, and zinc oxide.

Don't see why not, just careful not to get any close to your juice.

Quote Originally Posted by krbydrm View Post
    Would never-seez be a good application to use? The only reason I ask is because I have it available at my work and was curious. It contains aluminum powder,copper powder, petroleum grease, synthetic graphite, and zinc oxide.
    Try not to use Never Seize. Not conductive. I was an auto mechanic for 12 years. We got in to a discussion (almost an argument) with two techs smearing the stuff on battery terminals to prevent corrosion. Our senior tech ultimately took a DVOM and set it for resisitance and plunged leads into his bottle of never seize. No continuity. Great for lubrication, not conductivity which you need for Mods. We are dealing with increasing "connection" between metal parts not trying to prevent corrosion (that we can see). Yes the threads get black (Oxidation) which we notice and clean off. I work for an electrician and oxidation turns copper wire brownish, aluminum grayish, and so on. Clean, Bright, and Shiny is best. I would stay with compounds stating to increase conductivity, the carrier will always keep out air (creating Oxidation). Noalox. Di Electric grease. Petroleum jelly is probably a no no too. That's my 2 cents worth.
    SoberSnyper likes this.
    My wife says I never listen to her when she talks to me.....at least that's what I think she said.....

This must be the longest running thread we have on any forums.... but yes good advice dude...

I've recently got a new mod, the Stingray X and the copper button was a little sticky so just added a TINY bit of graphite and it's really made it a nice action now. It's a conductive material and doesn't get sticky like some other things.
    SoberSnyper likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast