Noalox and why we use it on mechanical mods
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Noalox and why we use it on mechanical mods

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran Lisaf01's Avatar

Default Noalox and why we use it on mechanical mods

I often get asked questions about Noalox and why it's so beneficial to use it on our mechanical mods.
    Virtually every well-known mechanical mod manufacturer recommends it and many even ship their mods with Noalox pre-applied to various parts of the unit.

Here's why:

In a mechanical mod, the current is having to "jump" from one part of the mod to another.

Oftentimes, no matter how carefully you clean your equipment, some invisible oxidation or particles can remain on the contact points that interfere with the full current flow, or indeed, on the battery contact points themselves.

Noalox is a substance that contains zinc particles which conduct electricity. Using it on the contact points of your mod, bridges any miniscule gaps that may be caused by oxidation or dirt, or just a battery that's not as flat as it could be on its contact areas.

Additionally, the current must flow up the main tube, so any threaded joins that you have in the unit, can benefit from Noalox, both to keep the threads working nicely, and to ensure contact is maintained all throughout the threads.

I have seen some people talking about using petroleum-based products, however, this is a bad idea, and here's why:

Petroleum based products are non-conductive, so whilst they may make your threads operate all nice and smoothly, they may actually impede current flow. However, if you have threaded parts on your mod that frequently come into contact with juice, (such as within a juice feeding tank), petroleum jelly is the better product to use here to keep threads flowing freely, but only in an area where current is not expected to flow.

Hope that helps explain the situation.

Senior Member ECF Veteran vereybowring's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Petroleum jelly if applied very sparingly and cleaned off and reapplied weekly works extremely well (warm the jelly in your fingers and use a cotton bud/q-tip to apply and the other end of thebud to wipe off excess).
    While indeed it is not conductive if used on a clean connection it stops tracking and corrosion allowing the metal parts to stay in contact (screw parts together firmly).
    Also it breaks down with excessive heat so shouldn't be used on 6V kits, but should be fine on 3.7V gear.
    My father was a mechanical and electrical engineer and swore by it - he even used to sometimes put very fine zinc dust into the jelly to increase conductivity.
    It repels water far better than most things so I have used it for a variety of electrical components to prevent corrosion with no issued at all.
    Noalox is just a more modern compound but was created to be an anti-oxidant for aluminium parts.
    Last edited by vereybowring; 03-15-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    lamarrk likes this.

Yes, I can see petroleum jelly working with zinc dust in it, although, as you say it breaks down with excessive heat, perhaps not a good idea for our vaping equipment really.
    Noalox really comes into its own on the actual contact points, where obviously, you wouldn't be putting anything else.

Senior Member ECF Veteran vereybowring's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally I clean all my contacts with 99.9% IPA every few days. Then let it dry off and do nothing else - keeps the metal lovely and clean and also good for polishing the casings of everything.

That is a good method, although if you're working with an aluminium mod, the invisible oxidation builds up almost immediately and is not conductive, so noalox is very useful here. However, with a stainless mod, not quite so much of a problem.

The current under load can clearly be seen to improve the minute noalox is applied to the contacts in most mods......

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I love the back and forth here. I use Noalox because that's what was recommended for my Reo.

I'm the cook. I'm the man who killed Gus Fring. Now, say my name.

Glad you enjoyed it, Jif. You'll find most decent mod manufacturers and retailers recommending Noalox over and over again cos it's cheap, a tube lasts ages, and it does the job, simples.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran SammyT's Avatar

So I know I should use the noalox on the firing pin of my reo, although I am wondering if it also be beneficial on the negative spring. I will probably not put it on the threads of my device simply because it is a bottom feeder without a spoke, and I am pretty sure juice flows in and around the threads, then up in to the catch cup. I dont want to smoke the stuff!

Put it anywhere that connectivity is required, however, not where it may come into contact with juice that will be vaped.
    Hope that makes sense.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Bookmarked for later... someone sent me this link and I don't wanna lose it.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast