Penelope Coil Question - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Penelope Coil Question

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

There are different materials or alloys out there which are used for heating coils, for vaping the most used are:
    NiChrome, Kanthal D and Kanthal A. They all come in different thicknesses and each has a specific resistance per square millimeter per meter.
    It can get confusing, because people who describe their coils use different material and measurements.
    Basically, what we want to do is to transfer energy into the wire so that it heats up and vaporizes the liquid. More power roughly equals more vape. There is more to it, of course.

Power is expressed in Watts. Ohms law tells us that power in Watts equals the square of the voltage in Volts multiplied by the resistance in Ohms. To get more power you will need higher resistance or higher voltage.

Thinner wires have a higher resistance than thicker wires - you can think of them as you would think of water tubes. It is harder to force the same amount of water through a straw than through a fire hose.

The longer the heating wire is, the higher the resistance will be.

Here are some values for the different materials and sizes of wire:
    Kanthal D 0.20mm -> 43.8 Ohms per Meter
    Kanthal A1 0.20mm -> 45.3 Ohms per Meter
    typical NiChrome 0.20mm -> 34.4Ohms per Meter
    Kanthal D 0.16mm -> 66.9 Ohms per Meter
    Kanthal A1 0.16mm -> 69.8 Ohms per Meter
    typical NiChrome 0.16mm -> 50.0 Ohms per Meter

You see that the type and size of wire used is significant. You cant just take 2 centimeters of any wire and get the same result.

Some more trivia:
    Thinner wire heats faster than thicker wire
    Thinner wire gets hotter with the same power than thicker wire
    The smallest coil I ever found working well was out of 0.08 mm Kanthal D, It was only one and a half turns around the wick. You don't need a really long coil
    Europeans use Kanthal D while Americans use Kanthal A1 - no idea why
    supervape, Killjoy1, s1mp3 and 1 others like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

That's really good extra information ChrisEU.

I've yet to build a coil with my .16mm Kanthal but with my multimeter I see the size of piece I need to get 3.0 ohms of resistance. Let's say it's 1.3 inches in length to get 3.0ohm.

Ok so here is the question part: Is that the total length of wire I need 1.3 inches including the part twisted with the no resistance silver wire. OR do I need 1.3 inches for the part that is coiled around the wick and the part that is twisted together has no bearing on total resistance.

Any assistance from you fine knowledgable people would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ECF Veteran

Electric power takes the path with the least resistance - so if you have a heating wire and a silver wire in parallel, all the power will go through the silver wire. Only the piece of wire between the two connections counts for the total resistance.

Grmbl - hard to explain that stuff in a foreign language. Sorry for the awkward explanations
    Ezkill likes this.

ECF Veteran

Not awkward at all Chris. That completely explains it.

I will want the piece of resistance wire that makes up the coil to be 1.3 inches and will need extra on the ends to twist to my .999 silver wire. I will probably start with a 2.5 inch piece and make sure that the size between the no resistance wires is 1.3 inches. That is a very big help. Thank you.

ECF Veteran

You dont need to be that exact, really. Voltage plays a much higher role than resistance. I am sure you would not even notice a difference betwen a 3.5 Ohm coil and a 3.2 Ohm coil. Plus, all these materials are cheap, so leave the ends of the wires a bit longer and just cut it away later.
    More important than the last millimeter in length is the way you wrap the coil around the wick. make sure that every tiny bit of resistance wire (between the connections) touches the wick, but don't strangle the wick with the wire.
    When you mastered that, go ahead and fine tune the resistance, but it doesnt really matter all that much.

ECF Veteran

This is all really good stuff to know.

I'm a finance guy so this is all out of my usual area of operations.

I don't need to get to exactly 3ohms. I just wanted to get somewhere close to 3omhs and then I'll fine tune the vape with variable voltage on the Provari.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezkill View Post
    This is all really good stuff to know.

I'm a finance guy so this is all out of my usual area of operations.

I don't need to get to exactly 3ohms. I just wanted to get somewhere close to 3omhs and then I'll fine tune the vape with variable voltage on the Provari.
    Thats what I want. This 1.9 coil is blowing through my batteries. Well I suppose thats because I'm vaping at 5 to 5.2v.

I'm not sure why it needs to be that high with a 1.9 coil but it does.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RiverNut View Post
    Thats what I want. This 1.9 coil is blowing through my batteries. Well I suppose thats because I'm vaping at 5 to 5.2v.

I'm not sure why it needs to be that high with a 1.9 coil but it does.
    Interesting...I'm vaping at 3.7 on a 1.8 ohm coil. Tons of vapor and good flavor. I had it cranked way up but I like it at this voltage. I suppose it's all personal preference.

ECF Veteran

I start to understand what you want. Let me guess - you are a tobacco-type vaper?
    I had been thinking the reason for the 3 Ohm coil would be your PV - like a stacked 2x3,7 Volt manual. But you just like it hot and powerful and burned and manly.
    Ok.
    Your next order should include 0.13 and 0.10 mm Kanthal wire. They are a bit tricky to find, though. A 2.5 Ohm coil with those - and the Provari at 5 Volts - will show you something new =)

But leave that for later. That thin wire has its own will.

ECF Veteran

Hey Chris,

I don't like it burned but I do like a good solid throat hit. I just started vaping a few weeks ago and the throat hit is what's kept off of cigarettes. That being said when I did smoke I smoked a heavy cigarette.

The reason that I'm pretty set on a 3ohm coil is because out of all the stuff I've purchased in the last two weeks(LOTS of it) I've found I prefer a 2.8ohm - 3.0ohm coil vaped at around 4.6-5.0 volts. Sometimes I mellow it down and turn the voltage down to around 3.7.

I may be totally wrong and there might be something I like better. Luckily I do have several different types of kanthal wire and I will experiment with different coil types and see what I like on the Penelope.

I must say that this 1.8ohm coil that I've made at 3.7-4.4 volts is one of the better vapes I've had. It's really doing a good job with this VG juice. I'm pretty thrilled over all with the performance of the Penelope.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast