Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Let's talk chimney micro coils.

Moved On Verified Member

Default Let's talk chimney micro coils.

I received my first Russian (yes, is is a genuine 91%, not a clone) on Monday. My first build was a chimney coil and I tried using silica, and it didn't allow me to set up my wick like I wanted, it just refused to stay still. So I built a vertical and got frustrated with the silica and grabbed some cotton. It was amazing. After a day I decided to build a chimney coil.

My first coil was 30Ga wrapped on a 3/23 bit, 11/10. It came out to ~1.5-1.6 ohms, and I liked to run it at 7.1 watts. The flavor was amazing, but I had to let it warm up for a second. Admittedly I soaked my cotton accidentally with strawberry lemonade, when I intended to use cinnamon, and filled my tank with cinnamon. The flavor was ridiculous. I mean amazing. It was so powerful that it was like I had raw liquid on the back of my tongue, and in my throat. The vapor production was exceptional. So I tried to blend some cinnamon and s/l, and my flavor was not as good. I emptied my tank and looked at the cotton, and the cotton looked nasty. It was burned.

So I decided to rip it apart and build a 28Ga coil, with a goal of 1.5 ohms. 8 wraps on a 5/32 bit got me 2 ohms, so I yanked it out and went to 6/5 and it heated up instantly, which was my goal. But now, even at 5 watts, I am getting slightly burned hits unless I leave it to sit 30 seconds between hits.

My wick is sterile cotton. I wrap the coil loosely, and run a leg over my top leg of the coil as I think I saw in Rip's Kayfun vid. I loosely pack the wick in the chamber until it reaches the top of the coil.

What do I need to do to make the coil fire like it does with my current coil build, but wick like it did in my first build with the huge flavor? Am I packing the wick too tight? Is it too loose? Is there too much or too little cotton in the chamber?

I am almost ready to go back to horizontal coils, but I really want my chimneys to work.

Moved On Verified Member

OK, so I went with less wick and now I have no burning, but less flavor.

Where am I going wrong?

Moved On Verified Member

On the left is the 30ga 1.5 ohm, and the right is the 28ga 2 ohm. So I think my coils are built well.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Can you post a pic of what the build looks likes with cotton in it? I am looking to try one of these vertical builds. I did one last night, I wrapped the cotton loosely around the coil but i think the cotton shifted or something thru the day.

Are you suppose to also add cotton to the chimney area also once you screw the chimney into place? or just wrap cotton around the coil on each side?

Moved On Verified Member

Sure...

From what I have seen you are supposed to center the coil directly over the airflow hole. Leave the center of the coil unobstructed by your wick, in my case rolled cotton. Place a small dab of cotton over the top leg of the coil so it is unexposed. I stick some wick between the coil and post under the top leg of the coil and wrap one end over the top of that leg and down into the well. The other leg of cotton goes around the coil and into the well. Finally, I place the chimney onto the base and stick a tiny piece of cotton into each side of the well, making it level with the top of the coil.

I am certain my coil build is correct, but I am unsure if my issues are the result of my wick, or if I should be building my coils with a different wire. Perhaps 29ga will give me a happy medium between coil length and speed of heating.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I've been using this type build on my Russian and Tobeco clone for a couple of months now. I use hemp fiber for the wick and packing, it resist scorching better than cotton. In my experience I have found that it's best to not over power the coil in this type build. Though higher power will produce more vaper and flavor (for a while) it will scorch the liquid and clog the wick quickly.

Moved On Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimzDogz View Post
    I've been using this type build on my Russian and Tobeco clone for a couple of months now. I use hemp fiber for the wick and packing, it resist scorching better than cotton. In my experience I have found that it's best to not over power the coil in this type build. Though higher power will produce more vaper and flavor (for a while) it will scorch the liquid and clog the wick quickly.
    At this moment I have my setting at 5.6 watts (3 volts) and I have no worthwhile flavor. Since I just opened it to take these pics, I wanted to keep it cool so as not to burn my wick.

I have considered buying some hemp wool, but ATM all I have is cotton.

I am getting close to scrapping the chimney as I am going out in a bit, and I don't want to have a crappy vape this evening. But I am stubborn, and really want to get this right rather than scrapping it.

Does my set up look right to you?

Moved On Verified Member

I just nailed it.

I added extremely loosely packed cotton in the chimney when I removed it for these pics. I set my level slightly above the coil. I just turned it up to 6.5 watts, and it seems to be doing extremely well right now.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

From experience my Russian wont preform well with high VG liquid. Ive built it 5 times in the last 2 days trying to get it to work with my high VG stuff and I find I have to cover the air hole and draw through to build up pressure and force some liquid into the chimney. Guess I need to wait till monday when my PG comes in so I can mix up some 50/50.

Super Member ECF Veteran rogergendron1's Avatar

now guys ... i just got a fogger v3 in the mail a day ago and pulled the crappy ss wick and built my own 1.2 ohm micro...semi micro coil horizontal and ran cotton through the center to the edge of the juice channels and then stuffed a small amount on the deck allong the sides to stop leakage and still maintain air flow, it worked graet pleanty of vapor but a little muted on the flavor.

i got a typical fogger v3 pos post short and dissasembled the thing and rebuilt it washed and cleaned.... no problem with dissasembly or assembly,

any way i keep seeing people rave about the vertical coil in the kayfun and fogger type attys and i am wondering .... is this a fad or does it work ?

it would seem to make your fogger/kayfun into a bottom coil carto tank lol if thats what you want to call it. but T WAT COST lol it would seem difficult to setup in that tinny well, is it worth it and how often do you swap cotton ?

how many use silica ? and when you run silica how do you set up and what size do you use ?

right now i have 400 ss mesh, cotton, 3mm silica, 28g and 32g kanthal..... what do you recomend for a great fogger setup for vaping an ry4 type vg base juice like, HHV heavanly tobacco or halo tribeca ?
    when they pry my cold dead hands from it.....history has shown that the very first thing that all tyranical governments have done to gain control of there people was to diss-arm the people via gun control. do not be a victim !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast