Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My Take on Micro Coil setup

Senior Member Verified Member trentenmarschel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default My Take on Micro Coil setup

Ok so i watched some videos on the tube about micro coil set ups in the kayfun 3.1 so i decided to try it now i will tell you i didnt find anything i liked about it at all there were many cons about it and i will list them.
    1. Uses more wire
    2. Takes longer to heat up and get vapor from it
    3. It continues to sizzle juice for like 10 seconds after releasing the button
    4. Uses more juice and battery
    5. For some reason it taste like crap probably cause it is retaining too much heat and not letting much air cool the coil causing everlasting burnt taste.

So i am in my truck now at college waiting for class to start as i type this thread. But i am hardly touching my ecig and the first thing i am doing when i get home is building a regular coil set up.. i will never be making a compressed micro coil again i dont like anything about them so i would be happy to hear what you guys think and if you have had a simmilar experience with micro coils.

2. Advertisement
    Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

What gauge wire?

With 30 gauge, it is quite responsive and doesn't "sizzle" afterwards.

What wattage?

28 gauge and lower can be rather unresponsive and may "sizzle" afterwards if underpowered.

I've never had any of those issues with my KFL+ using 28g wire with a micro coil.

28g kanthal, 7 wraps on a 1/16" drill bit, wicked with cotton, .9 ohm

Hits like a beast every time.

maybe you overwicked it to you'll one day wrap another and it will rock and you will wonder what you did wrong before, maybe you wont but then you'll never know

you also need to get that micro right close to your air intake centred ~GL

less is more when it comes to cotton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sed Contra View Post
    What gauge wire?

With 30 gauge, it is quite responsive and doesn't "sizzle" afterwards.

What wattage?

28 gauge and lower can be rather unresponsive and may "sizzle" afterwards if underpowered.
    using 28 gauge kanthal and i built a 2.2 ohm coil and had it around 8 to 9 watts

Blog Entries

maybe it was cause i wrapped it too many timed from what i read. but i can't go lower than 1 ohm setup with my vv/vw lavatube. ill take a pic of the coil when i take it apart here in a minute

when i had my vw on the go the best i found was about 1.3Ω micro

yeah you have to many wraps to many ohms

Quote Originally Posted by trentenmarschel View Post
    maybe it was cause i wrapped it too many timed from what i read. but i can't go lower than 1 ohm setup with my vv/vw lavatube. ill take a pic of the coil when i take it apart here in a minute

get a 1/16 drill bit or 1.5mm and wrap about 11 tight wraps ... cotton loose that you can slide it in out of both ends easy without it bunching... i normally snip cotton tails as short as i can or cut one flush and the other just long enough to wick GL

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp
    Last edited by SLIPPY_EEL; 04-22-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    super_X_drifter likes this.

Super Member Verified Member Gonzi's Avatar

In my experience, 28 gauge should be used if your target resistance is 1ohm or lower, if not, you need too much wire + adding the fact that it is so thick, will make it very laggy. I use 30 for most all my builds and have great performance. Like stated above, shoot for 1.3-1.5 if using a VV or VW device and you'll have way better performance. I usually do a 6 wrap of 30gauge on a 5/64" drill bit, and I get 1.4ohms. This is my go to setup on Kayfuns, I can use it on a mech or a VV or VW device and get great response and performance.

5/64 isnt micro coil though... just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzi View Post
    In my experience, 28 gauge should be used if your target resistance is 1ohm or lower, if not, you need too much wire + adding the fact that it is so thick, will make it very laggy. I use 30 for most all my builds and have great performance. Like stated above, shoot for 1.3-1.5 if using a VV or VW device and you'll have way better performance. I usually do a 6 wrap of 30gauge on a 5/64" drill bit, and I get 1.4ohms. This is my go to setup on Kayfuns, I can use it on a mech or a VV or VW device and get great response and performance.
    super_X_drifter likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast