brass mod patina process? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: brass mod patina process?

you can buy stuff that can cause a reaction at a hobby store my mother does it all the time. then you can use a matte or high gloss clear high temp ceramic paint. make sure you tape up everything . also use a prep rag or alcohol pad wipe to get any oils or gunk off it first.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Joka View Post
    Oh my those are all so beautiful! I'm either going to get the brass king my local b&m has, or order a brass nemesis to do this with. Maybe cap em off with a brass omega rda. I can't wait, you have enlightened me and gave me a project to do.

So I have a few questions james, does the patina wear off with daily use? Is there any smell like an old penny or anything? Will it turn my hand green? I read your supposed to coat it with an oil or wax afterwards, why is this? Sorry for all the rambling, I am just VERY excited about this. I've always admired the steampunk look of mods I would see. Never thought I could afford one already made, and really didn't think I could do it myself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Since I seal with wax, the blue fades with time... no discoloring of skin or bad penny smell. My Touchwood with polished brass gives me that smell after a week or so as the natural patina starts. Hitting the patina with a hard clear coat finish should help it retain the bright colors.

So what method would be the best for a dark patina, I really do not want blue or turquoise. If it was neon lime green that's ok with me, but I'm wanting something old dark and used looking, With depth.

Straight up Vinegar & salt makes for a brown / olive color... takes a lot more hours though. Maybe 36 or so.
    Vaping since August 2010... dig stuff from Touchwood, GLV, 1700Fabricators, and a few others.

This is also neat looking, he said it was a patina. It looks torched, how would you achieve this patina? O.o

With a wax coat or others are they needed to be reapplied weekly, daily?

like said in the last two post above use a ceramic clear coat it sprays out a little bit thicker coat and if something decided to get too hot the ceramic can handle the heat and you don't have to wax .
    James Hart likes this.

ECF Veteran

With a wax coat or others are they needed to be reapplied weekly, daily?
    Weekly and the color does change in time... I had wanted to use a wax to seal it so it was easily redone. I'm thinking not that I've got a better handle on the process and results, I will looking into the ceramic clear coat.

Quote Originally Posted by rtm355 View Post
    like said in the last two post above use a ceramic clear coat it sprays out a little bit thicker coat and if something decided to get too hot the ceramic can handle the heat and you don't have to wax .
    I was gonna try Lacquer, but that sounds interesting... I'll have to research it. What brand are you using?
    Vaping since August 2010... dig stuff from Touchwood, GLV, 1700Fabricators, and a few others.

I don't want my mech to be oily feeling all the time either, so wax or the ceramic coating would be best. I could easily run it without a coating tho right?

Go to any automotive shop its used on engines and headers HVT makes some and a few other companys

Full Member Verified Member gruntybob's Avatar

Definitely looking into doing this. Gotta buy a cheap brass mod now
    James Hart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntybob View Post
    Definitely looking into doing this. Gotta buy a cheap brass mod now
    Me too! What seems to be the general consensus for a good quality low cost clone?
    Using Tapatalk

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mitchg View Post
    Me too! What seems to be the general consensus for a good quality low cost clone?
    Mine is the same one kidney punched sells for $35. I snagged mine a little cheaper from eBay.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast