How hard would it be to paint a 18650 battery tube? Would it hold up and look good?

Thread: How hard would it be to paint a 18650 battery tube? Would it hold up and look good?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default How hard would it be to paint a 18650 battery tube? Would it hold up and look good?

Ok so i have been thinking about painting a 18650 battery tube. It will be a brass battery tube. I am looking to paint it black or grey, or maybe another color ( unsure at the moment )

My question is, Would painting one at home and no fancy machines or paint have a good outcome? Will it hold up to everyday use?

If so, Could you experienced guys who have done something like this before give me some info on what type of paint would be best to use, Do i use a sealant? primer? Is painting brass just the same as painting any other steal?

The top cap and bottom button both unscrew from the mod so it will just be the tube. I am not sure if i should tape off the threads either.

Any input on this would be great, Thanks.

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

For bare metal, simply sand the surface if starting from polished. This allows the primer to bond. Primer would be ideal. Use an automotive enamel for best protection against wear. Use several very light coats. Better to build up the coat than cause drips. Read the instructions. Follow all cautions and directions.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiestyle View Post
    For bare metal, simply sand the surface if starting from polished. This allows the primer to bond. Primer would be ideal. Use an automotive enamel for best protection against wear. Use several very light coats. Better to build up the coat than cause drips. Read the instructions. Follow all cautions and directions.
    Great advice. Proper surface prep and many thin coats are the most important things for a good paint job.

I would also consider a product called DuraCoat. It's designed for painting firearms, so it is very durable and heat resistant.
    MODS | Cronus clone | Sentinel M16 clone | iTaste MVP 2.0 | iTaste VV 3.0
    ATOMIZERS | TOBH v2.5 RDA | Helios RDA clone | Nimbus RDA clone | IGO-L RDA
    JUICE | Heather's Heavenly Vapes | The Vapor Station | The Vapor Chef | The Standard Vape

ECF Veteran

And yes, you need to tape off the threads, otherwise you would no longer get a good electrical connection. The body of a mechanical mod is part of the circuit.

I would just tape the entire interior of the tube.
    MODS | Cronus clone | Sentinel M16 clone | iTaste MVP 2.0 | iTaste VV 3.0
    ATOMIZERS | TOBH v2.5 RDA | Helios RDA clone | Nimbus RDA clone | IGO-L RDA
    JUICE | Heather's Heavenly Vapes | The Vapor Station | The Vapor Chef | The Standard Vape

Full Member Verified Member jgilk1's Avatar

personally i would suggest using an etching primer made for brass then your regular primer... then a regular primer 2-3 coats buffer down with steel wool between coats then 4-5 coats of your base color then your clear coat cut and butt to your prefered finish

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I would say that a say that a Good Metal Primer is a Must. I would also suggest Cleaning the Tube with 91% Rubbing Alcohol while Using Latex Gloves.

I have gotten Imperfections while Painting Metal from Oils coming from my Hands.