Is there another cosmetic for SS

Thread: Is there another cosmetic for SS

Senior Member*

Default Is there another cosmetic for SS

Is there another cmcosmetic for SS besides torching and brushing? Something like a chemical reaction

Unregistered Supplier

Light interface coloring I know can be done to stainless steel, although I have never seen it done to any mods. To my knowledge it is similar to anodizing aluminum, it is done using a electrochemical bath. And produces a controlled corrosion to the steel. I could not find to much info via google, but again I have heard of its uses for constructing and architecture purposes. So I do not see why its not applicable here. My advice if you are looking for a decent cosmetic change for your mod, if you can find a aluminum clone of whatever piece you are trying to color, have that anodized.

Super Member Verified Member

I am looking into CERAKOTE. It is a very thin backed on finish used for guns. It is available in a wide variety of colors. However, it is NOT a do it yourself project. Their instructions include soaking in degreaser, sand blasting, baking to get oil out, mixing color with hardener, spraying parts, and baking on finish.

A store near me does it and I am trying to get a price to coat a mod.

King of the Clouds Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by SourKing View Post
    Is there another cmcosmetic for SS besides torching and brushing? Something like a chemical reaction
    I brush stainless and it comes out very nice. I use a 600 grit wet dry sandpaper and I slide the device in the same direction until it is all uniform. Or sometimes I take already brushed parts and sand them with 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper and buff them on my polishing wheel. This can be done for copper, brass, and stainless yielding great results. The only other acidic chemical reaction would be to blue stainless steel with gun bluing.
    "Don't drip and drive!"-Cloud Junky

ECF Veteran

What about ferric chloride.

Sent from my SM-N900T

Google patina stainless steel and you will find a couple of things including some products designed for stainless and some other acids.