Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: deleted title-not e-cig related.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Exclamation deleted title-not e-cig related.

Just found this one out. but the new highway bill working it's way through congress at the moment has a nice 900% tax aimed at e-cigs hidden in it. They are not the only ones seeing a tax hike, but the one on e-cigs is the highest of the proposed hikes thrown in as a rider on the bill. Detailed tax info: Smokeless (electronic) cigarettes (a 900% increase) RYO (Roll Your Own) tobacco (a 250% increase) Little cigars (a 720% increase) Cigarettes (a 429% increase) just Cigarettes in general (a 429% increase)

Thought this is something that the community should be made aware of. The link to a petition against it on change.org is below. Looks like they are changing tactics on us, since they can't get their FDA pets to kill the e-cig, they're just going to try and tax it to death.

Economic Justice Petition: HUGE Tobacco increase hidden in Highway Bill | Change.org

Also found the bill itself, trying to sift through the lingo to find it specifically, but I'm an engineer not a lawyer >.< So here it is for the more legal lingo savvy.
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.1813.ES:/
    Last edited by Gabe1291; 06-28-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    SDOrganicChemist likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

thanks, just went and signed it.
    To Locate USA/International Ecig & E-Liquid Venders in your Area or while Traveling visit VaporSearchUSA.com
    Over 800 Vendors Listed !!!

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Signed...so tired of shady, back handed politics...but I guess that's just how it goes so I'll keep signing.

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe1291 View Post
    Just found this one out. but the new highway bill working it's way through congress at the moment has a nice 900% tax aimed at e-cigs hidden in it. They are not the only ones seeing a tax hike, but the one on e-cigs is the highest of the proposed hikes thrown in as a rider on the bill. Detailed tax info: Smokeless (electronic) cigarettes (a 900% increase) RYO (Roll Your Own) tobacco (a 250% increase) Little cigars (a 720% increase) Cigarettes (a 429% increase) just Cigarettes in general (a 429% increase)

Thought this is something that the community should be made aware of. The link to a petition against it on change.org is below. Looks like they are changing tactics on us, since they can't get their FDA pets to kill the e-cig, they're just going to try and tax it to death.

Economic Justice Petition: HUGE Tobacco increase hidden in Highway Bill | Change.org

Also found the bill itself, trying to sift through the lingo to find it specifically, but I'm an engineer not a lawyer >.< So here it is for the more legal lingo savvy.
    Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    What is the bill number and which legislators inserted a tax on ecigs into this bill? When is it scheduled to come up for a vote?
    sidetrack and Scottinboca like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Just signed the petition. This crap doesn't surprise me at all. Standard non-transparent politics!!!

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Does anyone have a link or a copy of the text that backs up this claim, because at the moment that is all it is.
    I checked the petition page and there is no evidence offered there. Once I see it in writing I might believe it, but until then it's just another rumour with a headline designed to cause knee-jerk reactions.

Like the virus warnings that tell you a monster will wipe your hard drive and eat your children, does no-one bother to check the legitimacy of such claims before posting 'panic' messages or emailing them to all of their contacts?

I await the truth....

John

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Where exactly is all of this coming from in the bill?
    There is nothing about a 900% tax increase on e-cigs that I can find, even cross referencing the Internal Revenue code (which is what the portion of the bill is supposed to ammend).

SEC. 100116. ROLL-YOUR-OWN CIGARETTE MACHINES.
    (a) IN GENERAL.—Subsection (d) of section 5702 of
    the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding
    at the end the following new flush sentence:
    ‘Such term shall include any person who for commercial
    purposes makes available for consumer use (including
    such consumer’s personal consumption or use under paragraph (1)) a machine capable of making cigarettes, cigars,
    or other tobacco products. A person making such a machine available for consumer use shall be deemed the per
    son making the removal as defined by subsection (j) with
    respect to any tobacco products manufactured by such machine.’’.
    That is the only part that talks about tobacco or cigarettes. It doesn't even specify e-cigarettes.
    And the only thing that part is talking about is removing a tax haven for people who make machines for people to make a tobacco product.
    Last edited by Katatonik; 06-29-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    Pete379 and SDOrganicChemist like this.

Absinthe Minded Diva! Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Guess that just goes to show that we should do research before blindly signing something...dang it - I shared it on FB too...

Last TC take - 12/14/12

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Where do people come up with this stuff?

I kind of laughed when the writer of the petition said:
    It's the Big Tobacco companies' way of eliminating competition and making billions and billions of more cash.

I just read the legislation. There is no provision that increases taxes on any of the above-mentioned products. In all sincerity, I think people should read legislation before determining that it is in any way going to affect them negatively. The legislation is available in PDF form at this URL address.

Here is the only part that mentions anything about cigarettes or tobacco:

SEC. 100122. ROLL-YOUR-OWN CIGARETTE MACHINES.
    (a) IN GENERAL.—Subsection (d) of section 5702 of the Internal
    Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following new flush sentence:
    ‘‘Such term shall include any person who for commercial purposes
    makes available for consumer use (including such consumer’s personal consumption or use under paragraph (1)) a machine capable
    of making cigarettes, cigars, or other tobacco products. A person
    making such a machine available for consumer use shall be deemed
    the person making the removal as defined by subsection (j) with respect to any tobacco products manufactured by such machine. A person who sells a machine directly to a consumer at retail for a consumer’s personal home use is not making a machine available for
    commercial purposes if such machine is not used at a retail premises and is designed to produce tobacco products only in personal
    use quantities.’’.
    (b) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendment made by this section
    shall apply to articles removed after the date of the enactment of
    this Act.
    After reading through the document carefully, there is no other mention of tax increases on the above-mentioned products. Take care and have a wonderful day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast