vanilla extract?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: vanilla extract?

Default vanilla extract?

I've been reading the posts by SunVapor and others here about the difficulty in creating a DIY vanilla e-juice. I don't think I saw anyone mention trying pure vanilla extract (the stuff you find in the baking section of a grocery store). I'm sure there must be a reason nobody uses this stuff. I'm just wondering why not.

Kim

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by raggedclaws View Post
    I've been reading the posts by SunVapor and others here about the difficulty in creating a DIY vanilla e-juice. I don't think I saw anyone mention trying pure vanilla extract (the stuff you find in the baking section of a grocery store). I'm sure there must be a reason nobody uses this stuff. I'm just wondering why not.

Kim

Hey KIm All I know is!!! NO!! tried it!! about 3 months back, and I still can smell it!! Plus the smell on the atomizer, never went away
    Unless I did not mix correctly, I also attempted a coconut extract flavoring and that was worse
    Good luck

ECF Guru

Post The Alcohol --Yicks

Quote Originally Posted by raggedclaws View Post

Kim
    Kim--I have tryed from the cheapest to the best money can but (burbon bean vanilla extract---all to no avail as there either is very little vanilla taste or there is way to strong an alcohol taste that takes away from any flavor (36%)--Yicks!! So the quest goes on!!! If you have any ideas, let us know!!! I would love to know what the manufacutes are using!!! Thanks, Sun

I like my vanilla extract just fine. I use the Wilton (or Walton?, I don't have it with me) clear vanilla extract. Picked it because it didn't have a long ingredient list or obvious sugars (wouldn't be surprised if it has some in the "natural flavorings" though).

I'm sure others have used it, so I guess my tastes just differ. I've been getting CaSh Cola 24mg and cutting it in half with glycerine, then adding a dash of vanilla. Mmm. Vanilla Coke.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I find the grocery store vanilla extract (Dr Oetker/Supercook) to have a great flavor. It's not especially strong though.

The artificial vanilla flavor (often referred to as vanillin) is a benzaldehyde which some feel presents a health hazard, although there is debate on the matter. Safety (MSDS) data for vanillin

Was that Wilton extract the same stuff you find on grocery store shelves, or is it a specialty flavoring for e-juice? I definitely don't want to "pollute" my atomizer so I'll refrain from using this stuff until some others post with favorable experience. Thanks for the heads-up and info you guys.

Kim

I found the Wilton in a craft store near the bakery stuff, so yeah, grocery store. From what I've been reading, even the LorAnns that many people use is just cooking flavoring. The key seems to be to find stuff that won't clog the atomizer, and the clear extract seemed like a good idea. And it's Kosher - woo hoo - eh... whatever.

After checking out a post today that showed a bunch of different e-juices that had been cooked on a spoon to show what was left after it vaporized I've decided I'm going to give that a try with the extract when I get home. If it looks like it leaves a lot of residue, or it's particularly sticky or something, I may look for something new.

I have been using McCormick French Vanilla Blend from Walmart. the #2 ingredient is Propylene Glycol, and Alcohol (16%). I like the strong vanilla flavor and have preferred this so far, although, the only commercial product I have tried yet is Johnson Creek Vanilla Ice Cream. The F Vanilla extract is so good my mouth is watering, which, is much more than I can say for the JC.

I have been using this in my DSE901 and Joye510. Honestly, I am not sure of the recipe, as it has been ad-hoc. I have had best results with the Totally Wicked 11mg Mnethol with the vanilla extract, but, I just add the vanilla until I get the desired taste, and have not really measured it out yet.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by analog2digital View Post
    I have been using McCormick French Vanilla Blend from Walmart. the #2 ingredient is Propylene Glycol, and Alcohol (16%). I like the strong vanilla flavor and have preferred this so far, although, the only commercial product I have tried yet is Johnson Creek Vanilla Ice Cream. The F Vanilla extract is so good my mouth is watering, which, is much more than I can say for the JC.

I have been using this in my DSE901 and Joye510. Honestly, I am not sure of the recipe, as it has been ad-hoc. I have had best results with the Totally Wicked 11mg Mnethol with the vanilla extract, but, I just add the vanilla until I get the desired taste, and have not really measured it out yet.

Allow me to stay on this "blend" for a moment
    Is the Walmart blend an IMITATION extract?? or?? pure extract
    I see the imitations have PG alcohol and water, so that appears to be able to work I wonder if the pure extracts are not as suitable for us

I assume it uses some artificial, as others say 'extract'. I will put what the label has on it:

"French Vanilla Blend with other natural Flavors.
    INGREDIENTS: Water, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol (16%), Vanilla Extract, Vanillin, Caramel Color, and Natural Flavors."

I assume the Vanillin would be the artificial stuff. I have been using this about a month and have not had any problems, but I have cleaned my atomizers in boiling water a couple of times.

I don't know if it is good or bad, but I prefer the flavor so far. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast