Thread: What causes throat hit?

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default What causes throat hit?

Hello everyone.

I have been fiddling around with DIY liquid and have had some good luck making stuff I like, but the throat hit seemed to be light to null in most of my tasty vapor treats. I am using mainly PG/food grade glycerin as the base then water based flavor from liquidxpress.

I got my order from Lorann today and decided to test out a drop of the carmel and a drop of the honey with what was left of my Mr. Bean flavored liquid and It kicked up the throat hit a good 30% in looking at the ingrediants the only thing added is the flavor and a bit of water. has anyone broken this down or figured out what type of flavors or other juice additives could be causing the throat hit?

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

Two things from my experience: 1. manual switch where you can heat up the atomizer more and get warmer vapor; 2. higher nicotine content.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

what wv2win said...........plus pg will produce more throat hit and vg will kill the throat hit but make nice clouds..........so lose the glycerine

there is also a link around here somewhere about things other people have added to increase throat hit

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by wv2win View Post
    Two things from my experience: 1. manual switch where you can heat up the atomizer more and get warmer vapor; 2. higher nicotine content.
    Thanks for the tips, tho I hope there is a way to do it without the nic content. I have found that my cravings are more than satisfied with under 3 mg. and am hoping to get down to vaping 0. Not that I wont ever use Nicotine, but I hate feeling like a slave to the addiction. I have been a nicotine addict for over 15 years now and the idea of not needing a fix is very appealing.

I long for the days when I can just vape 0 mg because I enjoy it and add in the nicotine as a special treat.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by happily View Post
    what wv2win said...........plus pg will produce more throat hit and vg will kill the throat hit but make nice clouds..........so lose the glycerine

there is also a link around here somewhere about things other people have added to increase throat hit

Thank you for the reply. I tried searching around, but couldn't find anything pointed. I suppose search term "more throat hit" might help In any case I may be using to much of the glycerin. I enjoy the thicker vapor I get from it, but I have been using about 30% Ill try to take that down to 15% and gauge the results.

Thanks again!

Moved On

I am sure there are certain flavors that contain chemicals in the extract that would provide enhanced throat hit. I would expect cinnamon or spearmint to have more throat hit than banana and grass clippings. Acids like lemon juice or high proof alcohols may also enhance throat hit. It is all about experimenting and sharing our successes.

[quote=J_Data;367120]Thanks for the tips, tho I hope there is a way to do it without the nic content. I have found that my cravings are more than satisfied with under 3 mg. and am hoping to get down to vaping 0. Not that I wont ever use Nicotine, but I hate feeling like a slave to the addiction. I have been a nicotine addict for over 15 years now and the idea of not needing a fix is very appealing.

Sun Vaporer, a long time member, uses 0 nic home made juice and he adds, lemon juice, vinigar and 100 proof vodka to get throat hit. You could PM him for his receipe.

Super Member ECF Veteran scintar's Avatar

Some say that the PH level in the liquid affects the throat irritation (really what it is) Try adding somthing like a citric acid solution mabe even lemon.
    Have fun!

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I can tell you right out that you can get massive throat hit from lower nicotine flavors.

Blackbeard's Rum from Smoke liberation has a massive throat hit in the lower concentrations. I'm talking 11 mg vs coconut 24 mg.

Accessories Supplier ECF Veteran renderwerks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreySaber View Post
    The flavored smoke I want was originally invented by Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky. Why isn't it on the market?
    I heard it had a great throat hit...

I think you can buy citric acid, that would probably do it.
    Click Image!