Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: DIY Master Techniques - Determining Flavor Percentages

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Default DIY Master Techniques - Determining Flavor Percentages

I'm starting a series of threads asking the old and new pros to give us their DIY techniques , most of which is already out there but now hopefully all collected here, in one place. I've started different threads for different topics.

This thread is specifically for Determining Individual Flavor Percentages.*

In this thread, please post your method for determining percentages for new individual flavors (ex. test size, percentage starting point, percentage increments, steep/ no steep, ect.)

Please give specifics and include any info that people might find helpful. Please don't hijack this thread with debates, it's more about sharing your individual successful experiences and methods. Thanks to everyone for their input.

*please use my other Masters threads for other topics
    DIY Master Techniques - Steeping
    DIY Masters Techniques - Mixing Flavors
    DIY Master Techniques - Flavor Add-on's (EM, VW, BW, MTS, ACV, ect)
    Last edited by micksf; 02-15-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    Kicked Silver Bullet, Buzz Pro, ego twist, boge SR/LR, Tank / new DIY Mixologist

PV Master* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

How to test new flavors to determine percentages

Fill a 3ml bottle with 20 drops of pg with dropper .The bottle is marked off for the 20 drop level. Then i add one drop of flavoring with the same dropper . I then shake the bottle and put 3 drops in a atty and vape it. I then add 2 drops pg and another drop flavoring to keep the bottle at the marked level . Next i drop 3 drops and vape (10%) . Then repeat until 20-25% just to be sure i dont undershoot my sweet spot and to know what it tastes like when it reaches a over flavored percentage . On flavors i think are going to be stronger i will start with a 40 drop base so i can start at 2.5% . Its not 100% accurate but its pretty close . I have done this on about 90 out of the 100+ flavorings i have .Its works really well to improve your diying . I dont know how id diy without doing it now . On each flavor i take notes and right down the sweet spot percentage and then taste notes on the flavor and overflavor etc . I also let them steep when im done and try it the next day and write notes on the taste after steeping . I have probably 90% of my Capellas flavoring to be right at 15% . Iv found 2 or 3 i think to be under 15% and a few that were 20% . My numbers do vary a lot with other vendors. HealthCabin is one that iv found almost all to be under 5% . Some like cereal sweetcorn was best at .75% . I had to dilute it in pg .
    yosi, peejglass, shroom and 10 others like this.

DailyVapes
    1.DIY SDCookies2DIY Carapplecinna3DIY toffee4DIY GBCMods:1Provari2.VariMini3.BP4.Str8's modsPIF

PV Master* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Heres a good bit of Info iv found on Capellas site which i like to go off of on percentages as well as how i like to determine what percentage works good for me .Great info so ill repost .

everyones taste buds are different but just wanted to post this information to help people out and give a general average on percentages . You may be more or less sensitive but Capellas formulates their flavorings to be all equal in concentration . This is one thing i havent seen from other flavoring companies . They have testers which give feedback to formulate a average concentration . Of course this may vary to some but there recommendation is a good place to start in which you can adjust up or down from you liking. Capellas recommendation is 15-20% shown below . I have personally found it to be spot on accurate with my testing before iv even read Capellas recommendation so it was a completely unbiased finding .

Capella Flavor Drops for e-Liquid (DIY) use

e-Liquid ( DIY e-Juice) Standard Mixing Technique
    Here is a general approach to use for those starting our with mixing their own e-liquid (e-juice). When using Capella Flavor Drops a good starting point is 15-20% dilution in either PG (Propylene Glycol), VG (Vegetable Glycerin), or a mix of both.
    An easy example would be if you created a 10ml e-liquid batch as a test, use 8ml of either PG (Propylene Glycol) or VG (Vegetable Glycerin) and add 2ml of your favorite Capella Flavor Drops flavor. This will give you a 80/20 pct mix. For a larger mix, just multiply out.

Capella Flavor Drops for e-Liquid (DIY) use
    Just another little note on the link above it is clearly stated that :

Our Flavors are Food Grade Flavorings , and are DIACETYL FREE.
    NOT PERFUME Chemicals or Perfume ingredients.
    Rin13, jakerock, GoodDog and 5 others like this.

DailyVapes
    1.DIY SDCookies2DIY Carapplecinna3DIY toffee4DIY GBCMods:1Provari2.VariMini3.BP4.Str8's modsPIF

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I'd be grateful if more old pros jumped in to let us know their process. I know you've said it all many times already but this thread could be a great resource us up and comers. Thanks to all that have added their comments, much appreciated.
    shroom, Donovan69, Enteng and 3 others like this.
    Kicked Silver Bullet, Buzz Pro, ego twist, boge SR/LR, Tank / new DIY Mixologist

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

From Bostonsnboxers...

it's a good idea to test with just pg/vg so you don't waste your nic. Here's an example and I hope it helps...if not, please ask again

For this example, I'm going to use 3ml ...
    put 3ml of pg or vg in a container
    add .3 ml of flavoring to give you 10% flavoring

If it's too strong, add more pg until it tastes right to you. If too weak add more flavor. (keep track of what you're adding)
    Once you decide what's good (as an example let's say you ended up liking .3ml of flavor in 5 ml of base.
    You now know that if you want to mix up 20ml of juice, you need 1.2ml of flavor (based on .3ml per 5ml).

Or...you could do the same with drops if that's what you prefer, but it gets to be a PIB when mixing larger amounts.
    Just keep track of how much flavor you like in a small ml sample, then multiply it by the mls of juice you want to make (notes..keep lots of notes).
    Last edited by micksf; 02-17-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    Enteng and Donovan69 like this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

From ToweKnee...

When mixing with new flavors I always start out at 5%. With tobacco stuff I start at 1%. Its much easier to add then take away.

from the original thread...
    capellas
    Last edited by micksf; 02-17-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    Orioin58 and shroom like this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

From Str8V8ping...

20 drops PG/VG
    1 drop of flavor = 5%
    2 drops =10%
    3 drops = 15%
    and so on.

Shake (I run it under hot water then shake)and throw it on an atty to taste.

Once you figure out where you'd like to have your percentage, throw it in your calculator and make a bottle.

from the original thread...
    flavor testing with no nic?
    Last edited by micksf; 02-17-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    shroom, Enteng and Rin13 like this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

From Ehvam...

A Cool Way to Taste Flavorings
    When I first started DIY I ordered alot of different flavorings I thought I would like/need. In trying to use the flacors I found I was overwhelmed by them and getting to know what each flavoring brought to the party has been slow going. Until I thought of a new way to try them out. I find that mixing a flavoring, vaping it, etc etc was a bit tedious, so I tried this and it has helped.

I take 5ml of water and mix one drop of a flavoring and swish it around my mouth. Its amazing how much it helps to "learn" a flavoring really taste what it like. I use exactly 5 ml, so I can gauge how potent the flavoring is. If iy needs two drops I know its a weaker flavor that will need to be a higher percentage. If its too strong I know it will require less.
    Its really helped me make better mixes. True, the flavor, once mixed in pg/vg changes a bit, but not as much as you'd think. Its worked really well for me so far.

from the original post...
    Last edited by micksf; 02-17-2012 at 09:44 PM.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

From AzPlumber...

When I get a flavor that is new to me, a quick smell and taste a tiny bit from a dipped toothpick. This gives me a starting point (%) for my initial tester batch.

from the original post...
    Last edited by micksf; 02-17-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    Los Marauder and sharnon007 like this.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

From Flavourart representative... regarding FA starting test percentages.

Tobacco 2%

Fruits 3-4%

Warm (chocolate, vanilla, maple caramel ) 5%

Last edited by micksf; 02-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Youmadbrah likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast