Moving up to DIY, need advice for a simple menthol tobacco.

Thread: Moving up to DIY, need advice for a simple menthol tobacco.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Default Moving up to DIY, need advice for a simple menthol tobacco.

Due to cost issues I'll be Doing-It-Myself when it comes to juices from now on. My all day vape was Wyatt Earp menthol, and while I loved it, it absolutely killed my cartomizers in 2-3 days. I'd like to create a nice simple menthol tobacco with the bare essentials in gear. So I'm looking for a little advice.

What all will I need? Any good tobacco recipes out there that stand go well with menthol crystals or such?

I was thinking a 250ml bottle of 18mg 50/50, along with a 120ml bottle of PG for dilution, menthol crystals, a few syringes, a few bottles, some pipettes, and whatever flavorings I will need.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Switched's Avatar

10% virginia with 3-5% menthol. Doesn't get any simpler than that

Super Member ECF Veteran albertbert's Avatar

I really like nuck's tobacco recipe, it makes a good menthol if you adjust it.
    Best attempt at a tobacco flavor so far --Full Credit to Nuck
    Here is a recipe you can use with the diluted ingredients + koolada
    Tobacco Menthol

Pretty straight up menthol.

Full Member Supporting Member GaryR's Avatar

I mix for a friend that smokes only menthol mixes, and it's been the most challenging to get right of all my mixing experiences, LOL.

First, get you a good mixing calculator such as "E-juice-me-up" by Breaktru Software or "Ejuice Calculator" by Scubabatdan. I prefer to use strong 100% PG nic bases because I can dilute to any desired strength. However, if you prefer high-percentage VG mixes, you may be better off with 100% VG base.

Next, get your menthol base mix perfected. Starting at around 5%, just mix menthol concentrate into your PG/VG +nicotine base until it's exactly where you want it. Also try adding 2-to-3% PA Koolada for an extra cold throat hit. You can pre-mix your menthol base and experiment with various flavorings.

To make your own menthol concentrate, you need menthol crystals, PG, a little grain alcohol or vodka and a small glass bottle with plastic-lined cap such as a PA (Perfumer's Apprentice) 1/2-oz or 1-oz. bottle. Fill bottle 1/4 full of crystals, add just enough alcohol to "melt" the crystals, then fill bottle to neck with PG. If crystals are not 100% dissolved, put in microwave with cap off for 5-sec. shots, shake and repeat until completely dissolved. Best to use glass droppers to add menthol concentrate to mixes because it tends to destroy syringes. A standard drug store eye dropper yields 1-mL per 40 drops of PG liquids. If you don't like using alcohol, just dissolve in PG using heat.

Here's a tobacco recipe my friend likes, but you'll need to adjust to your taste (she likes 85%/15% PG/VG ratio):
    7% menthol concentrate
    2.5% PA Koolada
    4% PA Tobacco Blend
    4% PA M-Type Tobacco
    1% FA (FlavourArt) Lemon Sicily or PA Lemon (optional)
    1/2% ethyl maltol sweetener (optional)
    1/4% FA Vape Wizard

I also recommend you try PA's DK tobacco flavor in your experiments (try 14% DK and 5% M-type), and FA's Latakia at 2% adds a nice tobacco reality to the aroma.

Once you get your own menthol base perfected, for variety try these recipe suggestions (add EM sweetener to taste):
    15% PA ripe Banana
    18% PA Blueberry Extra
    11% PA Juicy Peach
    14% PA Pear
    (try adding 2% French Vanilla and/or 5% Dulce de Leche to each recipe for a nice touch)

This is a menthol eucalyptus recipe that's good:
    7% menthol concentrate
    2% PA Koolada
    5% PA Eucalyptus
    3% PA M-Type Tobacco

Good luck and enjoy your DIY!

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to do a bit more research and order my supplies tonight, can't wait to get started.

Just wondering if any of the FA tobacco's would be good with the Tobacco Absolute recipe that tuck came up with. Along the lines of the Latika, Desert Ship, or such?