Cleaning: Alcohol vs Vodka
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Cleaning: Alcohol vs Vodka

Super Member ECF Veteran paddymx's Avatar

Default Cleaning: Alcohol vs Vodka

I understand that you would not want to use rubbing alcohol to dilute ejuice, but, what about cleaning only.

64oz. 99% ISP(rubbing alcohol) = $5.16
    59oz. Vodka (40%/80 proof) = $13.00

Any information/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick
    JUDGMENT AFFIRMED likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I've used 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean attys, cartos and Stardusts with no problems for over a year now.

Two caveats:

1. Do not use denatured alcohol! Denatured alcohol is booze alcohol with poisons added to keep it from being drunk. After the alcohol evaporates, these poisons remain as toxins. Use USP-grade isopropyl alcohol you can buy at a pharmacy.
    2. Be certain that vaping hardware on which you've used isopropyl alcohol is competely dry.

Both Everclear (90%+ grain alcohol) and 91% isopropyl alcohol seem to be equally efficacious, in my experience. Eighty-proof vodka (40% grain alcohol) doesn't seem to work quite as well, but the difference is minor.
    ~ been vaping since February 25, 2011 ~

mostlyclassics,

Thanks for the response. Good to know. Big $$$ difference. BTW, after calling the ABC store, Everclear is $34 for 59 oz. BIG BIG savings

Patrick

Edit: Got the isopropyl from the smiley face, but, USP-grade no where on the bottle. Got it from the pharmacy. Is it safe to assume...
    Last edited by paddymx; 06-07-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: update post

ECF Veteran

I bought my 91% iso from CVS and have been using it for almost 2 months without any issues. Like mostlyclassics said, as long as it evaporates all the way, and is from the pharmacy, you should be good to go.

The lesser percentages sometimes have oils in them. Take some of your iso and pour onto a clean, solid, surface. Let it evaporate and wipe the surface with a clean cloth. There should be no residue left on the cloth.
    paddymx likes this.

bigpman...,Cool..Will try CVS next time. My bottle seems to have air leaks. When I squeeze the bottle I can hear the air hiss! Also, mine has a red label. My 70% does say "USP" but has a blue label. Their website doesn't even show 91%. Even if it is USP, don't like the bottle hiss!
    Last edited by paddymx; 06-07-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling

ECF Veteran

A bottle hiss....hmmm...I can see the iso evaporating fairly fast with a leak in the bottle. I would most likely not use that bottle either.

Stay clear of the 70%, it will most likely have other ingredients than iso and water (from what I have seen). stick to 91% or above, if you can even find more than 91%...

Quote Originally Posted by paddymx View Post
    bigpman...,Cool..Will try CVS next time. My bottle seems to have air leaks. When I squeeze the bottle I can hear the air hiss! Also, mine has a red label. My 70% does say "USP" but has a blue label. Their website doesn't even show 91%. Even if it is USP, don't like the bottle hiss!
    paddymx and JUDGMENT AFFIRMED like this.

bigpman,

Hiss probably by design! The hiss is coming from the lid, but, it had one of those metallic seals under the cap. Transfered to another drained 70% bottle with no hiss. Still going to try CVS, maybe it will say "USP". Even though the smiley face said distributed from TN, we all know where they get most of their stuff from! Going to town tomorrow anyway so.... If not CVS maybe another will have proper labeling. Sometimes its a ..... to be a type A personality.
    Last edited by paddymx; 06-07-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: (sp) 2

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The lesser percentages sometimes have oils in them. Take some of your iso and pour onto a clean, solid, surface. Let it evaporate and wipe the surface with a clean cloth. There should be no residue left on the cloth.
    Excellent test, bigpman!
    ~ been vaping since February 25, 2011 ~

ECF Veteran

thanks, sometimes my brain works wonders but only on rare occasions
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlyclassics View Post
    Excellent test, bigpman!
    JUDGMENT AFFIRMED likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Vinegar works well for cleaning also as well as peroxide..

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast