sweeteners
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By StereoDreamer

Thread: sweeteners

Default sweeteners

I was surprised when I added some honey to a mix and while I got a honey flavor there wasnt any sweetness. I have noticed some sweeteners in vendors flavor lists but am wary of sugar based sweeteners. Sugars burn so easy. What is the scoop on these sweeteners and what do you suggest and why?

Full Member Verified Member NatTheBrit's Avatar

I tried Ethyl Maltol and i just couldn't get used to it-IMO it has an awful smell to it. A couple of weeks ago i tried sweetener from www.ez-sweets.com and so far i'm liking it a lot. One drop per 5ml does actually add a slight sweetness to my juices.
    Hope this helps.

Digging this vaping thing

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

sucralose, cotton candy, marshmallow, all add sweetness...

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I read somewhere in another thread a guy said the same thing about honey not being sweet at all, but then after it steeped it tasted a lot better and a lot more sweet. Did you steep it?

Super Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

yea i read the same think phreaky... and its true.. honey has to steep ...

Ultra Member ECF Veteran StereoDreamer's Avatar

The standard "sweetener" liquids sold by most DIY suppliers is sucralose, which is a synthetic sugar that is SUPER sweet--600 times sweeter than table sugar (sucrose). It is the main sweetening ingredient in Splenda.

Some folks (like me) who do DIY are a little wary of synthetic sweeteners, and have tried liquid Stevia. I've used it in several of my DIY mixtures, and I think it works just fine. Not as intensely sweet as sucralose, but then again, it's natural, not some lab-created franken-sugar. Some brands of Stevia liquid can have a liquorice or bitter aftertaste, so don't buy the cheap brands.

The "onset" of the sweetness of Stevia isn't as sudden as sucralose (or even real" sugar), but the sweetness lasts longer in your mouth, so if you use Stevia for DIY liquids, give it some time when you're test-vaping your mixtures. It sort of creeps up on you, instead of smacking you in the gob with sweetness. It's easy to over-sweeten with Stevia--and when you do, it tastes like crap all of a sudden...
    bivie likes this.

Hana Modz V3 Mini, eVic, Silver Bullet, AcryliMax Copperwood, RoughStack Shorty, ChiYou Clones, iTaste VV, 2 AMP Tanks, KFL+, Youde Igo W-5 with Crest Cap, 901 HH357s, Terminator-C, Terminator RDAs, Octopus RDAs, Mini DID Clone, and a bunch of eGos and Vivi Novas and 901 attys...

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

To add to Stereo's post, be careful if you do try Stevia. Try it in a small bottle. I've never used it in my juice, but I have tried Stevia in tea, coffee and things like that and I never did like it. Something about the "flavor" of the sweetness was offputing to me but my old roommate loved it. Like he said go slow, it's not for everybody. I still may end up liking it in juice, like I said, i've never tried it, but I really didn't like it at all in any beverages.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran StereoDreamer's Avatar

A lot of people claim that they don't like the "taste of stevia" and I was one of them.

Until I found this new bottle at a local health food store....

If you look at the label, almost ALL stevia (powder and liquid) lists "natural and artificial flavors" in addition to stevia and VG. It took me looking at every label of every brand in three different stores before I found a brand that contained only stevia and VG. And, lo and behold--it does not have those weird liquorice/bitter aftertastes, unless you use WAY too much of it.

Of course, YMMV, but we need to remember to read the labels of our ingredients, and REALLY understand what they say...

Hana Modz V3 Mini, eVic, Silver Bullet, AcryliMax Copperwood, RoughStack Shorty, ChiYou Clones, iTaste VV, 2 AMP Tanks, KFL+, Youde Igo W-5 with Crest Cap, 901 HH357s, Terminator-C, Terminator RDAs, Octopus RDAs, Mini DID Clone, and a bunch of eGos and Vivi Novas and 901 attys...

CJB
    Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I use the sweetener from Wizard labs. Works like a charm. A little goes a long way

Ingredients: Artificial flavoring, propylene glycol, water, Sucralose.

Thanks for the replies.
    @Phreaky no it was fresh, but it is currently steeping. I figured I would try it again this weekend.
    @Stereo splenda huh? I may have to try making some sweetener mixing a packet of splenda and pg. I just ordered a bunch of flavors and juices that will keep me set for awhile, cant see paying shipping on one vial of sweetener. As for stevia, I will keep it in mind for later experimenting