Is Glycerin Safe?
I for some odd reason have been getting alot of E-mails from people wanting to know if glycerin is safe. Here is some info to shed some light on the subject.
This is the test performed by OSHA and the FDA.
Chemical Sampling Information: Glycerin Mist (Total Dust)
Notes: 1) Inhalation studies in rats with smoke from cigarettes without and with glycerin added as a humectant (5%) indicated no significant biological effect of the addition of glycerin. 2) Glycerin is listed by the FDA as a generally recognized as safe food additive when used in accordance with good manufacturing practice (21 CFR 182.1320). 3) In one study, adult plasma glycerol levels after a 12-hour fast averaged 0.1 mmol/liter. Men with an X-linked inherited mutation in glycerol kinase had an average 40-fold higher glycerol level, a higher body-mass index and waist circumference, and impaired glucose tolerance, but were otherwise reported to be apparently healthy.
I hope this puts everyone at ease and Happy Vaping
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards: Glycerin (Mist).
- International Chemical Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO): Glycerol.
- Carmines, E.L. and Gaworski, C.L.: Toxicological evaluation of glycerin as a cigarette ingredient. Food Chem. Toxicol. 43(10): 1521-1539, 2005.
- Gaudet, D., et al.: Glycerol as a correlate of impaired glucose tolerance: dissection of a complex system by use of a simple genetic trait. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 66(5): 1558-1568. 2000.
- Heck, J.D., Gaworski, C.L., Rajendran, N. and Morrissey, R.L.: Toxicologic evaluation of humectants added to cigarette tobacco: 13-week smoke inhalation study of glycerin and propylene glycol in Fischer 344 rats. Inhal. Toxicol. 14(11): 1135-1152, 2002.
- Pohanish, R.P. (editor): Glycerin (Mist). In, Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens, Fourth Ed., Vol. 1. Norwich, NY: Noyes Publications, William Andrew Publishing, 2002, pp. 1209-1210.
All I have to say is...
All I have to say is, if you've ever had to have a catheter put into you, they use glycerin as a lubricant. Now seeing as to where a catheter goes, I wouldn't worry about the safety issue at all. To this date, my unit is not hacking or coughing, and stills functions within normal operating parameters according to the wife.
Thanks for the info. I just started cutting my pg liquid with vg and was asking myself this very question.
thanks jvapor for posting that. Makes me feel better too!
Glycerin, as well as Propylene Glycol, inhalation was also tested in long term studies by various entertainment organizations, as both are used in fog machines, and entertainment companies were concerned about the health of their actors, technicians, and their actor's vocal chords. It was found that peak inhalation can cause respiratory irritation, but as neither are bio-cumulative, there are no long term effects, and respiratory irritation is not permanent. If it hurts, slow down, drink more.