Desert Ship
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Desert Ship

Default Desert Ship

Before I got into DIY, I got ahold of several tobacco flavors, and one of them was so extremely perfumey as to be completely unvapeable. It was like vaping an overly strong car air freshener. It was only a 5ml bottle, so I chucked it and moved on.

I have been trying out various tobacco flavors for a while, trying to create a good cigarette-esque flavor blend.
    So, one of the flavorings I got was Desert Ship. As soon as I opened the bottle, I recognized the exact same overly perfumed scent as the one I had pitched before. It was so strong that it made me nauseous. Even a single drop in a 60ml batch is noticeable and unpleasant. I had been hoping for a Camel flavor, but this is nothing like any kind of tobacco at all. It actually reminds me of the smell of a batch of perfumed filters I once got from American Spirit when I was rolling my own back in the mid 90's. (why they doused the filters in perfume I have no idea, but this smells identical.)

Some people here at ECF absolutely love Desert Ship, so I'm wondering, did I get a bad batch of flavor? Is there any way to cut the overpowering perfumey scent to make it taste like tobacco? Should I just give it to someone else? As it is, I can't vape it - not even extremely diluted. I am now afraid to order other tobacco flavors for fear that they will contain this same perfume.
    Last edited by mrmiller96; 11-29-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran glassmanoak's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can only suggest that you put it away and let it steep. Steep has transformed "unvapable" to "wonderful" for me before with a tobacco flavoring. Leave the cap off.
    gimmieshelter31 and vsummer1 like this.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Tobacco flavorings have a reputation for being super strong and needing a LONG steep. So, mix at a low percent (1-2%) and let it sit in a cool, dark place for a month. Yes, one month.

Note: This is just from me reading, I have not made any DIY tobacco flavors.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

DIY is an exercise of patience and experimentation. While I'm certainly not an expert,some things I have learned are:

-You are going to need many bottles .
    -Mix new flavors in small batches.
    -Read ECF member Hoosier 's blogs about diy and finding flavoring percentages that work for you.
    -Most FlavourArt Tobaccos are suggested to be used in the 1-3% range for starters and require long steep times to mature. Some try to avoid this step buy adding more and more flavoring and usually are disappointed with the results.
    -Most flavorings are HIGHLY CONCENTRATED and will not taste the same way they smell after dilution and maturation.
    I remember reading on this site a FlavourArt sensory profile that has a graph showing the floral,spicy,metallic etc notes of each tobacco flavor.I'll try to find it tomorrow if someone else doesn't have it readily available. Choose those with lower floral notes.
    -Ethyl Maltol,apple cider vinegar,and/or MTS Vape Wizard are used by some to smooth out harsh notes and floral notes in tobacco flavors.

I cannot over emphasize the need to make small batches of one flavor,at various percentages and the patience to allow the flavor to fully develop before making your final decision on it. Some flavors you just will not like.

For simple tobacco flavorings that you may or may not like,try EcigExpress or Vapingzone's Super Concentrated Chinese flavorings. Many have had good results with these flavorings in the 2.5-5% range. Be sure to write everything down you add to a mix and label the bottles with what ever system you choose. This will keep you from repeating past mistakes and allow you to repeat your successes.

Again ,I implore you to read the blogs of Hoosier.

Good luck with DIY mrmiller96.
    Found the link (it is in pdf format) - http://www.flavourart.it/grafico%20tabacco.pdf
    Last edited by gimmieshelter31; 11-30-2012 at 05:13 AM.
    DizGrizz, mrmiller96 and ToweKnee like this.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert Zimmerman

Full Member ECF Veteran

Were is hoosiers blog

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

dude, i'm right there with you. I've tried premixed desert ship from 2 different vendors now and they both tasted extremely perfumey. Idk what they are putting in there. one tasted like perfume and cocoa, the other tasted like perfume and orange peel scrapings. Gross. I usually enjoy tobacco flavors, but not desert ship. Not yet at least. Gross.
    mrmiller96 likes this.
    Provari, Reo, Nzonic, SilverBullet, Natural, Evic, Bolt, Telescope, Kuwako, eGos, Volts. Mainly RBA Drippers & Novas.
    Vaping since 2009. You have to leave the house to find something worth staying for.

Sounds like good advice to me. I know I've had many juices that were just plain gawd awful when young and matured into fine juice after 2 weeks or more. The more aromatic, the more likely steeping (usually with the bottle open) will make a big dif.
    mrmiller96 likes this.

ECF Veteran

butterfly Hoosier's blog is here : E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert Zimmerman

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Desert Ship is one of FAs tobaccos that is especially strong. I like it at 1%, with 2% Cotton Candy.
    There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who will ask: "What the heck just happened?"

Super Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

yeap... you gotta steep it..

give it a few weeks.. maybe even a month...

you said 1 drop in 60ml? or did i read that incorrectly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast