Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigCypress

Thread: How do I mix ethyl maltol crystals with NO alcohol

Default How do I mix ethyl maltol crystals with NO alcohol

I am a alcoholic and I will not touch alcohol. Is there another way to dissolve the crystals?

Blog Entries

You can disolve them in PG. Which is an alcohol, but I suspect not the kind of alcohol you are concerned with.

I don't know what amount of crystal goes into what volume of PG, but a bit of hot tap water warming a mix and a few experiments should get you there.

Full Member Verified Member ease21's Avatar

1/4 tsp. Per 10 ml of pg. Is a good starting point, then add small amounts of crystals until the pg (propylene glycol) won't accept any more. It takes time and a little heat to make them dissolve. On a side note I don't get anywhere near pga (grain alcohol) either.

Cool thanks. When I get my delivery tomorrow I will start mixing it up. I like my fruit flavors to be sweet.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

You can also use vg but it takes alot of work to get it to dissolve.
    ardvaark likes this.
    smoke free since 11/20/2010

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BigCypress View Post
    You can also use vg but it takes alot of work to get it to dissolve.
    Boy!, Your not kidding about the VG dissolve rate. Seems like its never going to dissolve. I've got it sitting in hot water right now.

Peter

Full Member ECF Veteran RobertNC's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The specs give a solubility of 5.7 wgt% @ 20•C in PG and 0.2 wgt% @ 20•C in VG. That makes me leery of the apparant standard issue 10% PG solutions. A saturated or supersaturated solution may not be stable over time/temp and I always strive for reliably reproducible mixes.

I use crystal EM a small set of digital scales which can be had on eBay for little cost. There are so many assumptions in this process of really questionable accuracy, eg 20 drops = 1 mL. I don't really shoot for some percentage a calculator gives, but instead opt for consistency rather than some calculated % which is of questionable validity. Instead I record drops or volume in a syringe as appropriate.

To make a stable clear solution of EM I use 500 mg EM in 10 mL of 50-50 PG/VG base from a syringe.

That is something on the order of a "5%" solution. More important to me than making an accurate true 5% solution is the fact that it is easy, I can reliably repeat the weight and volume, and I get a clear, stable solution that is not sensitive to variation in temp.

If I want to follow a published recipe, I just assume double the EM in the recipe. I think a ~5% solution is more stable. My nic and base is 50-50 PG/VG. My only objection to graduated cylinders is you can control the final volume, but you have the aspect of you cannot fully drain a grad cylinder and the contents may not be homogeneous.

My philosophy is I am not too concerned that my final volumes, nic % and PG/VG ratios are allowed to float over a fairly small range for different mixes. This is a purely empirical, purely subjective endeavor.

I think it is more consistent to be careful with syringe volumes, free falling drops, careful record, and know that everything is in the vial and capped. Numbers from calculators that have inherent assumptions don't mean much to me.

I'm looking for a taste I like, made by a technique I can faithfully repeat. Exact nic or PG/VG ratios or some percentage expressed to three decimal places but with a serious assumption built in are not parameters I find useful.