Page 9 of 79 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Any interest in determining nicotine--by DVAP

PV Master ECF Veteran kinabaloo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DVap View Post
    It's quite a stretch. Last time I checked 1 millimole of monoprotic acid neutralizes 1 millimole of monohydroxy base. I don't think they changed the rules on that when I wasn't looking.

I always have the option of analyzing any of this on a high resolution mass spectrometer with the kind of trace sensitivity that boggles the mind. Trouble is that we charge clients sometimes as much as $1300 for an hour long analysis. If I'm found using these things as my personal toys, I'll have a bit of explaining to do. Plus, I still don't have standard reference materials for nicotine, and though suppliers of pure nicotine/nicotine standards would send the stuff to me at the laboratory without question, I would again, have some explaining to do since none of what we do involves nicotine.

Overall, I don't know if I'll actually do half the testing I dream up here, though trying to account for all the nicotine in an auto-vaped cart really sounds interesting about now. Very often, an experiment looks good on paper, but just doesn't work too well in practice, so validation is important, otherwise, the data (and therefore the conclusion) is very likely crap.
    The recent FDA found some variation in strength from that labelled but not too far off as i remember.

I can understand about the difficulties.

In case some nicotine is indeed lost through the open-air heating, already begun thinking how this could be avoided or minimised, but I don't so far see any simple way to avoid this - other than by switching to ultrasonic transducer to create a mist (or a hybrid approach in which the misted juice is mixed with steam to achieve some warmth).

My alternative theory for the missing nicotine (not reaching the blood stream) is that the base holds onto it and it is preferentially evaporated and exhaled subsequently (a bit wooly I know); VG in particular is extremely slow to evaporate and is said to have an affinity for nicotine.
    Last edited by kinabaloo; 09-10-2009 at 12:46 AM.

Nicotiana Alchemia Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kinabaloo View Post
    My alternative theory for the missing nicotine (not reaching the blood stream) is that the base holds onto it and it is preferentially evaporated and exhaled subsequently (a bit wooly I know); VG in particular is extremely slow to evaporate and is said to have an affinity for nicotine.
    I don't think your theory is all that wooly. Matrix is everything. Smoke likely carries nicotine without having much of an affinity for the nicotine. PG and VG, on the other hand, as you mention, do have an affinity for nicotine, so your airway is likely in competition with the vapor for the nicotine.

Blog Entries

I don't think your theory is all that wooly. Matrix is everything. Smoke likely carries nicotine without having much of an affinity for the nicotine. PG and VG, on the other hand, as you mention, do have an affinity for nicotine, so your airway is likely in competition with the vapor for the nicotine.
    Good to get a tumbs up on this.

I remember reading how in the first world war, VG was applied to the tips of the ration cigs to make them more palatable. Later, a reduced nic cigarette was trialled using the same idea. Then there's the fact (?), maybe you said it, that VG makes a good nic extraction solvent. Not sure how much this applies to PG though.

Now for a somewhat abrupt change of tack (and I certainly don't want to derail the original thread, but this will be of extremely little interest to most people): I have thought that an interesting alternative to nicotine might be theanine, the psycho-active ingredient in tea, that has both stimulant and relaxing effects. As an amino acid I would guess it will not vaporise, but that ther might be a volatile compound that has the same active group(s). Last time I researched this, next to nothing known about theanine even, surprising as it's been a popular beverage for well over a century. Again, ultrasonic misting might be the only effective way to go. Any thoughts?

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I'd just drink a good cup of tea.
    Mr.Mann likes this.

Blog Entries

I'd just drink a good cup of tea.
    Ok, some more reasoning: if forced to choose between 0nic vaping and nic patches, I think the vaping still wins. I know that the antioxidant benefits of tea are seriously mitigated by adding milk (and adding more than a tiny amount kills the taste too). So I imagine that a vape with some calming theanine in it could go down well.

Although i love coffe, I dont think I want a caffeine vape. The alternative to some psych-active effect wuld for me be strong taste - capsicum, cloves, something like that.

ps: surprised no juice companies have inquired about your dosage testing techniques
    Last edited by kinabaloo; 09-10-2009 at 03:57 AM.

Super Member ECF Veteran BlondieLocs's Avatar

Just wondering, has anybody decided to gather the material to do this themselves? Either the full or compact procedure?
    Hahahahahahahaha. Whoosh!! (That would be the wind whistling above my blonde head...)
    Quote Originally Posted by chayce View Post
    E-cigs are technically drug delivery systems. So are forks.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Naw, that's just the sound of the topic drifting around a bit.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default Test Result

The other day, I checked out Chris Yeltin's website myfreedomsmoke.com

He's got e-liquids for sale at volumes large and small, and the price seemed pretty good, so I bought 60 mL of 48 mg unflavored. It ran me $36.95 plus $5.95 for USPS Priority shipping, so I paid $42.90 for 60 mL of the 48 mg e-liquid.

I don't know the guy, never talked to him, just bought from him this once.

You might be wondering how the 48 mg unflavored liquid from myfreedomsmoke.com tested.

Replicate 1: 45.5 mg
    Replicate 2: 46.1 mg
    Average (replicate 1 & 2): 45.8 mg
    Average % of labeled concentration determined: 95.4%

This is an excellent result. I'll be buying from Chris again.

(If I'm off 5% either way, it could range from 43.5 - 48.1 mg).

This stuff is legit.
    Last edited by DVap; 09-10-2009 at 11:22 PM.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Thanks very much, is fascinating! I will add this to my kitchen lab for future reference. It's ok, I need to paint the ceiling anyway!
    Just kidding. But this is quite obviously something we all are striving to make sure what we see is what we get. Thanks for your hard work DVap.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Kate.

Geez.. did you really smoke 3 packs a day before e-cigs?

Page 9 of 79 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast