Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Somebody point me to a free and easy bottle label program/template?

Avery has an online template application that works well enough for my purposes. I hit their site, pick the type of label I am using (05667 at the moment). It has served my purposes so far.

Avery Design & Print Online
    Gr8Scott likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran Gr8Scott's Avatar
    In that space just before you're about to say something politically incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by bazmonkey View Post
    I've never heard the term "graftware". In fact, google for "graftware office". This actual post is #2!!!

So, what's it mean? If you don't want to use Office but a document template would work, LibreOffice is what you need. It can read/write Office formatted documents and it's open source (free).

If you don't want to use a word processor template with any software suite... I got nothin'.
    Well,
    I should explain

The idea of "graftware", though probably not correct, vocabulary wise, came to me as I was thinking about this ultra-fancy 4 digit $$$ computer that I am on now. Paid mucho dollars for my machine and Microsoft can't include an Office program? They give you a teaser

So I said "screw 'em" and went open source. Which is free.

Enter "LibreOffice"
    http://download.cnet.com/LibreOffice...-75337651.html

All the goodies of Windows office but 100% free!

Anyway,
    I appreciate all y'alls ideas. I didn't even think of a label maker

Brilliance!
    Rickajho likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I'm a dinosaur, so I use Microsoft Works.

The mail-merge function has a gazillion label templates built in. Anyone want to label their bottles with 5½ inch floppy labels? I can, thanks to the miracle of Microsoft Works.

Just for grins, I googled "Microsoft Works." You can get version 9 for about $20. Mine, of course, is version 3. It came chipped on flint spearheads. Took me forever to enter all that assembler code.
    Last edited by mostlyclassics; 02-16-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    Rickajho, Renolizzie and Gr8Scott like this.
    ~ been vaping since February 25, 2011 ~

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

My second vote would be for the Avery software too, especially if you want/need to include your own artwork. That's what is gonna be missing from the labeler option. I've used the Avery software in the past and it does work well, especially if you need to turn out a boat load of stuff. But if you only need a few quick labels something like the Brother labeler is the hands down winner.

Full Member* ECF Veteran hammerfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you are against using Office, which I understand, there is another alternative. Open Office is free and can even save or open Office docs. I use their spreadsheet and word processor all the time. You can download it free at Open Office free download
    papercrow and Gr8Scott like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Well someone already beat me to the Open Office suggestion, but I really think a label maker is just easier. Even at full price, you can get a Brother P-touch for like $20 and the tape is cheap. I don't DIY, but I sometimes have to cut the nic, and do that in empty bottles. Properly formatted, the labels can be small, and they can be easily removed.
    ProVari~ProVari Mini~IBTanked + ΣΟΦΙΑ~Kayfun~Igo-w

Become a Member of CASAA
    11-22-12

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I just use my Smart Label Printer.

Super Member ECF Veteran Gr8Scott's Avatar
    In that space just before you're about to say something politically incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerfly View Post
    If you are against using Office, which I understand, there is another alternative. Open Office is free and can even save or open Office docs. I use their spreadsheet and word processor all the time. You can download it free at Open Office free download
    Actually, that is exactly what I use, mostly, it's on my other machine. Both of them are born from Linux and Libre is the newest office program (meaning supposedly "new and improved" from OO and) included in Linux Distributions, intended to replace OpenOffice.

OO is really good though.

As far as the labeling machine, eh..the price is awesome, but I am thinking about delving into Avery a bit deeper

Thanks, all

Super Member ECF Veteran

Just to clarify, LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice because Oracle acquired the trademark. They're nearly identical right now.

Oracle rubs the open source world the wrong way, so expect to see LibreOffice pull ahead rather quickly. If you're getting one now, get Libre.
    Last edited by bazmonkey; 02-17-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rickajho View Post
    Not free, but Radio Shack has a Brother P-Touch labeler on sale for this weekend for $9.99
    Thanks so much!!! I have been wanting to get one of these and for this price I did!!!
    Rickajho likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast