Flavor West DIY flavor review
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast
Like Tree624Likes

Thread: Flavor West DIY flavor review

Full Member Verified Member gtseng's Avatar

Default Flavor West DIY flavor review

Friends, the comments on Flavor West (FW) flavors in ECF is fragmented. I think it might be a good idea to start a thred dedicated to Flavor West DIY flavoring.

In general, Flavor West flavoring is generally considered not as concentrated as the other brands, and that's probably why it is not as popular. However, it's flavoring, so the flavor itself is the most important. When you do DIY, you are saving a lot already, so cost is not a big concern.

Flavor West flavoring is available from multiple sources such as Mt. Baker Vapor, eCigExpress.com, onestopdiyshop.com and quite a few others. You can also buy directly from Flavorwest.com.

Quite a few vendors are using Flavorwest to make their commercial juices. So, there is definitely potential for us DIYers to take advantage of Flavorwest. Hopefully we can pool our resources here. Example being Mt. Baker Vapor, they had pretty good success with its juice business which use FW flavors.Even some of the single-flavor juices they sold are very popular! So, you just have to buy the corresponding flavor concentrate and figure out the percentage, then you can duplicate their juices.

So, let's share your FW reviews and recipes here!
    ukeman, k3vin, DuaneNeveu and 4 others like this.

Cinnamon Roll -- 5/5 25% for 50/50 PG/VG
    Thug juice -- 5/5 25% for 50/50 PG/VG
    Banana Gone Nuts -- 3/5 25% for 50/50 PG/VG
    Butterscotch Tobacco -- 3/5 25% for 50/50 PG/VG

I am waiting for 20+ more flavor to arrive. Will review once I got them.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I just started using FW through Mount Baker Vapor. I like the 15ml bottles so I don't have to commit to larger amounts until I know what I like. So far I have mixed ecto cooler, Thug Juice, jungle juice, peach, watermelon and Vanilla Butternut and various fruit flavors. peach is very good bynyhe way. i usually mix at about 25% 50/50. Seems less than 25% is pretty tasteless. I am trying to recreate MBV Berry Creamy without success. Any suggestions which cream flavor to use to mix with berry and fruit. I have sweet cream AMD whipped cream flavorings. Any ideas?

I just put in a big order for these flavors from mtbaker. I ordered the following:

Blackberry ?
    Menthol 3/5 (really strong menthol aftertaste for me, kind of sticks in your mouth)
    Banana 4/5 (kind of candyish mixed with a nice fresh banana)
    Peach 3/5
    Pear ?
    Spearmint 4/5
    Wintergreen 5/5
    Red Licorice 4/5 (really true to the name, makes me slightly asthmatic though for some reason)
    Extreme Ice 5/5 (awesome menthol with a slightly sweet minty flavor)
    Cucumber Mint ?

I've tried nearly all of these flavors already in the form of premixed juice from mtbaker so I'll include my ratings. Now it's just a matter of finding the right percentages and then making some giant batches of extreme ice... I've heard that extreme ice works well at around 15%, not too sure about the others.
    Last edited by crackberry; 04-23-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I have 19 selections from Flavor West in my e-Juice pantry, and I also found it difficult to source any solid guidelines for use like the ones LorAnn and TPA enjoy in these forums. I've still managed to come up with the following rule of thumb for myself, although there are certainly exceptions:

Fruit / Bakery / Beverage Flavours: 7% to 14%
    Tobacco / Seed / Bean / Flowering Plant Flavours: 4% or less

In the interest of full disclosure, most of these flavours were tasted using a Vivi Nova or an IGO-L and all at 70% PG / 30% VG. I acquired these from CanVape. This is according to my taste, and may not hold true for anyone else. For your consideration, however, here are the percentages used in some of my experiments so far:

Black Licorice | 5% | 4/5 | Surprisingly enjoyable given my aversion to manufactured anise rather than the actual thing, and any more would most certainly be overpowering. If used in a mix, I suspect more than 2% would just ruin everything.

Butter Rum | 10% | 3/5 | Doesn't need sweetening, and can be used as a mixer at lesser percentages.

Butterscotch | 10% | 5/5 | Slightly strong at 10%, and could perhaps benefit from using less with the addition of a Vanilla or Bavarian Cream making up the difference to represent this flavour more accurately.

Cake (Yellow) | 7% | 1/5 | This flavour has me believing that my perception of Yellow Cake is erroneous, and it must be some kind of American treat I've never eaten. The yellow cake I know from childhood tasted nothing like this! This tastes like some horrible confection flavoured with cinnamon candy. Some may love it, but it'll likely just collect dust in my pantry.

Coffee | 4% | 1/5 | Another dust collector for me. Tried it at 8% first, and it reminded me of the scorched tar at the bottom of a coffee pot left on the burner for three days. It may have potential as a mixer at very low percentages, but alone there's no redemption.

Cream Soda | 12% | 4/5 | Delicious, but not exactly cream soda in my opinion. This will definitely need some mixing partners to be a true representation of the drink.

Dr. Pepper | 12% | 5/5 | Again, I like this very much, but it's not an exact representation of the beverage. I'm looking forward to playing around with this one some more.

Honeywood Tobacco | ? % | NEW, NOT TRIED YET, the smell does have me worried.

Irish Cream | 10% | 5/5 | It's not Bailey's folks, although tasty, and a must have as a component of one of my "all day vapes"!

Kahlua | 13% | 4/5 | Tasty, and potentially useful in a homemade cappuccino concoction.

Key Lime | 7% | 4/5 | A refreshing change in the vaping day, and can be very useful as part of a more involved recipe.

Macadamia Nut | ? % | NEW, NOT TRIED YET, the smell does have me excited.

Maple Rum Tobacco | ? % | NEW, NOT TRIED YET, the smell does have me excited.

Margarita | 9% | 3/5 | It's nice alone, but plays well with a little bit of fruit.

Mojito | 10% | 4/5 | To my palate, this one's balanced nicely all by itself, but there's no reason you couldn't let this mingle with fruit too.

Strawberry | 13% | 5/5 | The solid throat hit took me by surprise, and though I wouldn't consider it exact, I think it's reminiscent of the fruit without any sweetener.

Tangerine | 11% | 4/5 | Fairly good representation, and generally spoiled by sweetener like the Strawberry flavour tends to be.

USA Blend | 2% | 3/5 | At 3% it took over the house and generated complaints, although the vape was fairly enjoyable to me. It stands to note that it was somewhat herbaceous.

Vanilla Custard | ? % | NEW, NOT TRIED YET, the nose has buttery notes, but some floral undertones too. We'll see...

So, that's what I've got. I look forward to more from others as some of these are great flavours in my opinion, and I'd love to have a spot to reference more that I haven't tried!
    Last edited by DuaneNeveu; 04-23-2013 at 02:03 AM.
    dash, tencentcat, pete63 and 13 others like this.

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I have found a lot of posts from folks announcing their use of FW at 20% or more. I'm not sure if the vendor I buy from gets a concentrated version or something, but some of these would absolutely blow my head off if I used them at anywhere near 20%, let alone higher!
    krewblink, Rin13 and SouthernBliss like this.

Duane: What is the PG/VG ratio you use?

I pretty much give up on FW's tobacco flavors after tried their USA mix and Maple Rum Tobacco in the past. I do think they have good fruit and desert flavors though. I think their alcohol beverages are also good.
    I am pretty happy with my various tobacco juices made from VZ SC tobacco, hopefully, I can come up with some good FW desert and fruit juice to mix with my VZ tobacco!

Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gtseng View Post
    Duane: What is the PG/VG ratio you use?
    Oh yeah...FORGOT!

Those were ALL tested at 70% PG / 30% VG.

Where did you get your FW? I got mine from Mt. Baker Vapor and from High Desert Vapor

Quote Originally Posted by DuaneNeveu View Post
    Oh yeah...FORGOT!

Those were ALL tested at 70% PG / 30% VG.
    randomhousegir likes this.

Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast