Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Trying DIY, have some questions....

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Thanks Everyone, this is what I was looking for. Just some basic ideas on where to start. Everything is headed this way at this point so now it is time to sit and wait. I don't think I will try anything until next weekend when I can work undisturbed.

2. Advertisement
    Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I have never done this, but I believe that I read on the TFA site that the owner taste tests his flavors using cool whip. This comes from someone that mixes and sells a buch of flavorings. Just an interesting tid bit I read.

I also disagree about not including nic in my own test juices. Just a personal preference. I have gotten "stung" when I was a newer vapor at a B&M store testing their "juices" and deciding on some great flavors only to have bought 60 bucks worth of juice that tastes much diiferenty than what I tried at the store.....ultimately giving it away or trashing it.......all because there was no Nic in the test juices. So, theres always that aspect.
    we2rcool likes this.
    Keep Calm and Vape On !

4. Advertisement
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

I also disagree about not including nic in my own test juices. Just a personal preference. I have gotten "stung" when I was a newer vapor at a B&M store testing their "juices" and deciding on some great flavors only to have bought 60 bucks worth of juice that tastes much diiferenty than what I tried at the store.....ultimately giving it away or trashing it.......all because there was no Nic in the test juices. So, theres always that aspect.
    AGREED! Nic alters flavor - sometimes substantially. We always include nic in our testers. We keep about a quart of our base with 12% nic added 'on hand' for our testing. Sure, the addition of the flavors lowers the nic percentage a bit - but rarely enough to affect the flavor (and we don't vape the testers for nicotine, we vape them for taste).
    Thunderball likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

+1 on adding nic to test samples. If you vape with nic test with nic.
    we2rcool likes this.
    OH MY, I just unscrewed the wrong end of my clearo and it spilled all over me.
    Read my blogs http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/dannyv45/

ECF Veteran

Interesting about nic vs no nic. I have heard this before. I have ordered different flavors from different vendors 3 times now with 0mg, 6mg, and 12mg. The only difference is the color. This way they were all mixed at the same time and (likely) by the same person with the same ingredients. Never been able to detect a difference. I am religious about steeping as well, so anything I get sits for 2 weeks. I know how much time affects flavor and typically it is positive for me.

After a year and a half of vaping i settled on a REO with cotton wicked micro-coil RBA's which beats for me beats I tried in vapor and flavor production (I've tired a lot). It brings out flavor something amazing. It will be interesting to try this with my own mixes

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by new kid View Post
    Interesting about nic vs no nic. I have heard this before. I have ordered different flavors from different vendors 3 times now with 0mg, 6mg, and 12mg. The only difference is the color. This way they were all mixed at the same time and (likely) by the same person with the same ingredients. Never been able to detect a difference. I am religious about steeping as well, so anything I get sits for 2 weeks. I know how much time affects flavor and typically it is positive for me.

After a year and a half of vaping i settled on a REO with cotton wicked micro-coil RBA's which beats for me beats I tried in vapor and flavor production (I've tired a lot). It brings out flavor something amazing. It will be interesting to try this with my own mixes
    Nicotine has a taste - depending upon the vendor, it can be very strong (or not). Makers of e-juices *know their nic* - and it is commonly known that zero nic juices require less flavoring that juices with higher nicotine (to achieve the same flavor). A vendors flavor at zero nic may taste the same as the same flavor at 24mg nic...but if they have the same flavor it's almost a surety it's because the one with the higher nic has a higher percentage of flavor (to cover up the flavor of the nic).

Supposedly there are a couple of nics that are filtered/distilled even further after extraction and are virtually flavorless - but I don't know which ones they are (and they're probably ultra pricey).

In fact, there a quite a few vapers that prefer to vape "unflavored" because it tastes similar to a cigarette. The Wizard Labs nic we have right now is excellent for enhancing tobacco flavors.

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Ya'll have forgotten to give this guy the most important tip! Get yourself a notebook and pencil and make notes on everything that you do. Don't try to "remember" things, write it down! It would suck big time if you created this awesome juice, but couldn't remember what you did to make it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4.
    new kid likes this.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by we2rcool View Post
    Nicotine has a taste - depending upon the vendor, it can be very strong (or not). Makers of e-juices *know their nic* - and it is commonly known that zero nic juices require less flavoring that juices with higher nicotine (to achieve the same flavor). A vendors flavor at zero nic may taste the same as the same flavor at 24mg nic...but if they have the same flavor it's almost a surety it's because the one with the higher nic has a higher percentage of flavor (to cover up the flavor of the nic).
    That's something I never thought of before - flavoring differences to adjust for nic. Interesting and makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12