Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking to start DIY, help?

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran DrBeaker's Avatar

I would get my flavors from the flavor apprentice their up here in Northern California and I would get my nicotine from my freedom smoke.com

Ultra Member Supporting Member JulesXsmokr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dannyv45 View Post
    Thanks for that. Just ordered 72 6ml clear glass vials for $30.00 with free shipping..... Nice.

Got the more expensive teflon lined cap bottles. Should hold up good and be pretty leak proof when completely submerged in my UC.

The foam lined caped bottles are cheaper at 24.95 per 72pcs. but the foam will wear out quickly and leak.
    Thanks for both of your inputs !

Full Member*

Thank you all for your help!

My main reasons for asking were this:

The stated differences in quality of nics and flavors has confused me, and I was looking for a little guidance.

I have seen many of the places to buy different items from, and have been price shopping LOTS!!! But, after hearing that some places have "better" nic than others...it changed how easy it was to just price shop.

I started vaping at 18mg, and have gotten to 12, when I get my RBA finally setup, I plan on dropping to 6mg.

My favorite flavors are all over the place, I like just about everything that doesn't taste chemically, I do not even mind "artificial" as long as it is not a bad chemical taste. For example, an artificial watermelon is not necessarily bad to me, but if it tastes perfumey or chemically, that is bad.

My favorite flavors I have had so far are Doc Bailey's Kaktus Kooler, Highbrow Dark chocolate mint, Roar Hawaii Wai, Vapor Chef Coolcumber Melon, unknown brand Vanilla Bean decadence and unknown brand purple haze, a nice cinnamon with some grape-ish flavors lingering...it leaves your mouth feeling wet and juicy!

I also like many simple fruits, simple sweets, and any minty-fresh vape.

I have not yet had the opportunity to explore very complex juices or anything...but I am VERY interested in a good RY4, some cinnamon raisin bread, banana nut bread, a really good black tea with cream and sugar like earl gray, english breakfast or a chai tea. and also a good coffee, with or without cream, but I have tried one called raging "betch" that I found to be disgusting...however Kona Delight was yummy.

I am perfectly okay with steeping as long as it could possibly take as long as I also have ready-to-vape juices available.

I will probably start off by ordering some nic and pg/vg as well as a few small starter/sample kits from various vendors...LorAnn, TFA, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Freeman View Post
    Thank you all for your help!

My main reasons for asking were this:

The stated differences in quality of nics and flavors has confused me, and I was looking for a little guidance.

I have seen many of the places to buy different items from, and have been price shopping LOTS!!! But, after hearing that some places have "better" nic than others...it changed how easy it was to just price shop.

I started vaping at 18mg, and have gotten to 12, when I get my RBA finally setup, I plan on dropping to 6mg.

My favorite flavors are all over the place, I like just about everything that doesn't taste chemically, I do not even mind "artificial" as long as it is not a bad chemical taste. For example, an artificial watermelon is not necessarily bad to me, but if it tastes perfumey or chemically, that is bad.

My favorite flavors I have had so far are Doc Bailey's Kaktus Kooler, Highbrow Dark chocolate mint, Roar Hawaii Wai, Vapor Chef Coolcumber Melon, unknown brand Vanilla Bean decadence and unknown brand purple haze, a nice cinnamon with some grape-ish flavors lingering...it leaves your mouth feeling wet and juicy!

I also like many simple fruits, simple sweets, and any minty-fresh vape.

I have not yet had the opportunity to explore very complex juices or anything...but I am VERY interested in a good RY4, some cinnamon raisin bread, banana nut bread, a really good black tea with cream and sugar like earl gray, english breakfast or a chai tea. and also a good coffee, with or without cream, but I have tried one called raging "betch" that I found to be disgusting...however Kona Delight was yummy.

I am perfectly okay with steeping as long as it could possibly take as long as I also have ready-to-vape juices available.

I will probably start off by ordering some nic and pg/vg as well as a few small starter/sample kits from various vendors...LorAnn, TFA, etc.
    TFA is a great place to start. Their 4 ml vial are only 1.50$. Their Earl Grey is spot on and I like the Hibiscus too. The other teas not so much. I'm not really that into bakery flavors so I can't help there.
    Legacy Kicked, Tatroe tank and base, Terminator-C, AGA-T, Protank, DIY juice

Full Member*

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    TFA is a great place to start. Their 4 ml vial are only 1.50$. Their Earl Grey is spot on and I like the Hibiscus too. The other teas not so much. I'm not really that into bakery flavors so I can't help there.
    That is great to hear...

I have been hunting for a great tea flavor!! Especially once I tried my friends chai tea, I am unsure if it was because I dropped and lost my only vape setup I had on me at the time, and thus went all day without vaping, or that is was just that good, but honestly...that flavor was absolutely AMAZING!

Full Member*

What are most of the flavor bases? Mainly PG, VG or Alcohol?

What base do you prefer using for your nic? I read PG is easier to work with since the nic thickens the base, and VG plus nic is pretty hard to work with, but I was thinking, for determining final PG/VG, it may be easier to use VG nic if the flavors are PG based, no?

Thoughts?

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran DrBeaker's Avatar

What base do you prefer using for your nic? I read PG is easier to work with since the nic thickens the base, and VG plus nic is pretty hard to work with, but I was thinking, for determining final PG/VG, it may be easier to use VG nic if the flavors are PG based, no?

Thoughts?
    I like to shoot for a 50/50 PG/VG. Yes vg is thick but you can warm it in the microwave or use syringes to make your mesurements. A scale is more accurate but complicates things.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Stay away from TFA (The flavorers apprentice) if perfumey/chemical taste is a problem for you. Those flavorings are notorious for that and are the hardest to get right and require very long steeping time. The best bet is to go with the hangsen flavors as I mentioned previously and leave the TFA flavors alone until you've got some experience working with flavors.

As far as which flavors taste the best again only you can determine what is good for you as every ones taste is different. But some good advice I can give you is to NOT try to clone a venders retail juice until you've gained some experience. This can lead to much fustration and can take the enjoyment out of DYI. I've seen more people give up on DYI for that very reason. All you need to ask yourself is "does it taste good". If it does you did a good job. And never say "This don't taste like what I used to buy" Because later down the road after you've been doing this a while you'll be saying "This taste better then anything I've ever bought".
    OH MY, I just unscrewed the wrong end of my clearo and it spilled all over me.
    Read my blogs http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/dannyv45/

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Thoughts?
    Most flavors are PG based. The super concentrates such as vaping zone's SC flavors are alcohol based. There are a few flavors in VG but those are few and far in between.

It's not the NIC per say that thickens the mix it's the carrier you buy it in (PG/VG). As far as nic base I prefer a 50PG/VG50/18mg NIC base but you should start off with what ever base your currently vaping. The thickness of the base depends on the amount of VG you use so you must consider what base your going to mix (75/25, 50/50, 25/75 etc...) If your going to lean towards the higher PG base buy your nic in PG. If your going to vape a higher VG base then buy your nic in VG. If it's 50/50 it don't really matter but I sometimes tend to lean towards a higher PG mix so I use NIC in PG.

Please do your self a favor and read my blogs before getting started. They will clear a lot of things up for you.
    Just click the number "4" where it says "blog entries" to the left just under my avatar.
    Last edited by dannyv45; 11-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    OH MY, I just unscrewed the wrong end of my clearo and it spilled all over me.
    Read my blogs http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/dannyv45/

Full Member*

Is there any difference, flavor wise, between using, for example 6ml of 100mg vs 25ml of 24mg in 100ml recipe to make 6mg/ml juice? Or does all of the flavor come down to the final mg/ml ratio, no matter how much nic base you use?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast