DIY cost effective? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: DIY cost effective?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default DIY cost effective?

Doing a few loose calculations this morning... I spent $190.34 for 10 flavors, sweetener, sour, PG, VG, & nicotine. Yesterday I made 427 ml about 90 ml of 4 different & 67ml of one flavor that equals 14.2 bottles.
    If had bought them at my B&M it would have cost me roughly about $235.72. Yep... It's a huge savings!!

My order was for 10 4 oz flavors I have plenty of everything left over!
    4oz yields roughly 20 bottles of juice
    10 X 20 (30ml bottles) @ $ 16.60 (what my B&M charges) equals $3,320

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Harleybarbie; 05-19-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    RocketPuppy and lilpeach like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member Lurch's Avatar

In my opinion, it is definite worth the investment of time and money. My initial order cost me $112.00. That got me syringes, blunt tip needles, bottles, 500ml of 10% nicotine (should last me several years), 250ml of both PG and VG, ten flavors and some other little things that I have forgotten. I then went to WalMart and picked up a fishing tackle box for all this stuff plus the stuff I got for making my coils (about $40 for the tackle box and $6 for the coil wire, my wife makes jewelry so we had the other stuff necessary for wire coils).

I have been making our juice for about two weeks now and am ordering some more flavors ($1.39 each for 8ml), about $20 worth which includes another 250ml of VG.

I did the math on one 15ml bottle of juice I made and it came out to about 3 cents per ml, counting just the expendable stuff I used (the PG, VG, Nic and flavors as I reuse all the hardware/equipment). Local B&M are charging anywhere between .80 to $1+ per ml.

Plus, as others have said, it is fun. I have finally produced a juice I like better than any I have purchased so far; a Blackberry/Raspberry flavor.
    lilpeach likes this.

Blog Entries

I don't know that I've ever broke even or spent less mixing my own.

I started mixing because most vendor juices were pretty bad. Things have really changed in the pre-mix world since then. The flavor I wanted, when I started, took me 5 months and a holy ton of flavorings to figure out. But, I discovered plenty of good flavor along the way.

Now days I give away so much that mixing is my highest vaping expense. I gave away about half a liter of juice this last weekend....and I didn't even refill my oldest son or sisters supply, so that's coming up soon.

Never really intended to save money. Just wanted to make great juice that I genuinely enjoyed vaping. I've got what I was after, so whatever I spend is well worth it to me.

/\ the result of large fingers on a tiny phone's keyboard - using Tapatalk

Senior Member Verified Member BicStic's Avatar

I made some calculations and it is costing me about $1.50 to make a 30 ml bottle of juice including a new bottle. I have been paying $15-20 for a 30 ml bottle of juice delivered. The only problem with DIY is that you purchase many bottles of flavors and at least half sits on the side unused because you do not like the flavor. If you can choose your flavorings wisely it will also save you money.
    Harleybarbie and lilpeach like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have to say, I find it extremely cost effective. I was spending at least $100.00 a month on juice. And that would just last the month, had to start over again the next month. The start up cost was very high. It took awhile to really enjoy the long term savings, but I'm seeing it now. I know have more than enough supplies for who knows how long, and more juice made than I can vape in months. I won't have to buy another thing for quite sometime. And to be honest, the great recipes I found right here on ECF taste better than anything I ever ordered. Just be prepared to spend a lot to get set up, then enjoy the savings! Believe me, it's well worth the investment!
    Harleybarbie and lilpeach like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran 0mg Meniere's Avatar

All those leapers with large disposable income. LOL. But we are all vapers.
    lilpeach likes this.
    I am a dollar-a-day vaper and a Vamo lover. I recoil clearo heads and mix my own juice.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

One thing is for sure, chasing flavors with diy is far less expensive than premix. I've bought at least $200 in premix that I basically wasted. Plenty of those flavors I bought samples first. It's weird that you can like something at first and quickly grow tired of it before a 30ml bottle is done.

I love the control. Never have to worry about running out or low. I keep a 1+ month supply on the shelf at all times. Mixing is pretty quick with perfected recipes. I can make a month supply for 4 people in about an hour. When I first started DIY I though I would need to break open the lab multiple times a week. It's ended up being twice a month instead.

Something that you can't really put a price on that is definitely worth something is safety. I know precisely what's in my mixes and I only buy the best ingredients.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran 0mg Meniere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Chill View Post
    Something that you can't really put a price on that is definitely worth something is safety. I know precisely what's in my mixes and I only buy the best ingredients.
    Amen to that.
    I am a dollar-a-day vaper and a Vamo lover. I recoil clearo heads and mix my own juice.

Thanks guys! Yall are super helpful I'm going to start planning DIY and try to get a game plan for next months vape budget. Another noob question though: How do you test your juice to know if you need to adjust flavoring? Because doesn't it need to steep before flavoring melds together? LOL This is the part that concerns me, and where I see myself wasting supplies. I've been trying to figure out how you concoct complex flavors on the fly

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YKruss View Post
    DIY is the way to go to save money.

It cost me $0.038 per ml for end product being 12 mg/ml with 1% flavoring and $0.036 unflavored.

Learning curve? That was none for me because most of my mix is unflavored and only 1% single flavoring when I fill like it.
    Yes, I Keep It Simple, too.

I like a little bit of peppermint in my unflavored, and sometimes add a drop or 2 of fruit.

No big laboratory set up in my kitchen, a drop or 2 of each in 10ml and I'm happy.

DIY can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. Some people love making recipes.

Your costs sound kinda high, mine are about 0.06 cents per ml.
    Last edited by Racehorse; 05-19-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    lilpeach likes this.

TC's given: ~9/27/12~ ~ 11/17/2012~~04/01/2013/TC rec'd: 03/09/2013

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast