history needed,when and why did flavors other than traditional tobacco come into being?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: history needed,when and why did flavors other than traditional tobacco come into being?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran skoony's Avatar

Default history needed,when and why did flavors other than traditional tobacco come into being?

hi all,
    i am preparing a response to my senator Dem. Amy Klobuchar who was on the senate commerce committee that performed what can only be described as a drive by shooting this last Wednesday concerning advertising and flavors in e-juice. i am trying to gain an understanding of the history and evolution of flavoring in e-juice. the why's,where fores, and hows. i understand the why's,cause we like them. i want to make a response that would be from a historical quasi documentary point of view to counter the flavor = advertising because, flavors, formula the ANTZ use. i feel its important because the for the kids argument is used to shut down any reasonable discussion of the use of flavoring. if you haven't seen the hearing there are links posted in legislative news i believe. its a first class demonstration of using children to shut down any possibility of response from one you don't agree with.i could use some links to use as reference but, googling doesn't seem to bring up anything remotely what i'm looking for. i figured those in the DIY forum would have the incite to point me in the right direction.

regards and thank you for your time.
    mike
    Last edited by skoony; 06-21-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Super Member Verified Member rowdyplace's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Calling RocketPuppy... Calling RocketPuppy...

This member has the natural ability to snoop out the "unsnoopable". If anyone can dig this stuff out, she can.

I sent her a PM asking her to look at this thread.

No Expert Here Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Am I wrong in thinking that, while e-cigarette makers came up with tobacco flavors to mimic analogs, users came up with DIY methods and discovered that they could use food flavoring to make their own, non-tobacco flavors?

Also, and I hate to be a jerk here, please have a grammar nazi proof-read your message to our senator before you send it.
    Last edited by Emilie; 06-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    RocketPuppy likes this.

ProVarinati Supporting Member Gato del Jugo's Avatar

Have you gone back to some of the early posts here at ECF?

I was doing so just yesterday, for a different reason.. Talking like early 2008, 2009 stuff..

[Note: Not all ECF sub-forums were open yet back then]

Flavors other than tobacco were popping up in '08.. May have been even earlier (would have to check non-ECF sources for that)...

And why? Because people could.. Smokers were quitting cigs.. While I'm sure some enjoyed the tobacco flavors, I'm guessing others wanted to get as far away as possible from the taste of tobacco, to not be reminded of cigs in that way, to help them quit & stay cig-free...

Yeah, flavors are important to adults trying to quit.. Seems like many go for the non-tobacco flavors, since it opens this whole new world.. For years/decades, they had to endure the same tobacco taste, over & over & over again... With vaping? No more!

Anyway, thanks for your political involvement!
    Huckleberried and RocketPuppy like this.

Blog Entries

There were other flavors when I started in July 2010, Licorice was my first favorite non-tobacco flavor. Some of the other older vets could shed some more light on this question.
    I'm puffin' on a pipe bomb and carrying a detonator in my pocket,
    so just what was it you wanted to hassle me about ?? (No, I do not sub-ohm, pipe bomb is a joke)

Ultra Member ECF Veteran skoony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that, while e-cigarette makers came up with tobacco flavors to mimic analogs, users came up with DIY methods and discovered that they could use food flavoring to make their own, non-tobacco flavors?

Also, and I hate to be a jerk here, please have a grammar nazi proof-read your message to our senator before you send it.
    my grammar or my parsing. i don't know why my parsing turns out that way. its not like that until i post. some times i forget to go back and edit it.
    regards
    mike

Veteran Puppy Supporting Member RocketPuppy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did someone call me?

Still half asleep, but when my sleuthing-ness wakes up, I'll get right on this.
    faile likes this.
    All opinions expressed represent those of RocketPuppy.

Full Member Verified Member swaycleveland's Avatar

Probly the reason jelly has different flavors, same reason we eat chicken beef and pork, Swiss, American and gorgonzola. Cause sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't!
    RocketPuppy likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gato del Jugo View Post
    Have you gone back to some of the early posts here at ECF?

I was doing so just yesterday, for a different reason.. Talking like early 2008, 2009 stuff..

[Note: Not all ECF sub-forums were open yet back then]

Flavors other than tobacco were popping up in '08.. May have been even earlier (would have to check non-ECF sources for that)...

And why? Because people could.. Smokers were quitting cigs.. While I'm sure some enjoyed the tobacco flavors, I'm guessing others wanted to get as far away as possible from the taste of tobacco, to not be reminded of cigs in that way, to help them quit & stay cig-free...

Yeah, flavors are important to adults trying to quit.. Seems like many go for the non-tobacco flavors, since it opens this whole new world.. For years/decades, they had to endure the same tobacco taste, over & over & over again... With vaping? No more!

Anyway, thanks for your political involvement!
    Heck yeah! After starting out with tobacco and/or menthol flavors that I just couldn't get into, I kept smoking while trying to get into vaping. I found a local guy that sells online, too. Tried his stuff........ flavors! I stopped smoking.

I couldn't begin to tell you when flavorings came about, but I know the cig-alikes sold at the local gas stations/pharmacies/groceries all had 'em before I began.
    ChurchMouse likes this.
    Last cigarette July 28, 2013

ProVarinati Supporting Member Gato del Jugo's Avatar

I forgot to mention:

Same reason why other products use flavorings!

cherry nic.jpg

(I modified an ANTZ piece.. See original below... )

tobacco-free kids 5-8-14.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast