DIY Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DIY Question

Default DIY Question

Hello all been lurking for a little while in this section but am getting kinda tired of buying pre-made stuff for my dad and was looking into possibly making it for him myself. What I was wondering though is I found a website that sells 6mg liter bottles of nicotine and it said it is a 50/50 PG/VG mix, what I need to know is if I were to purchase this liquid would the only other thing I need be flavors or is there something else that I would need to purchase. I have been reading up on DIY stuff and while I understand the mixing aspect I just need to know would I still need to buy a PG or VG base or is it already there in the nicotine liquid I would be buying?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Peace Loving Peoples Republic of Massachusetts

If you want juice made at 6 mg. 50/50 then you have to take into consideration the PG in your flavor concentrates. These will up the PG ratio slightly. One concentrate used at 3% might get you a 57/43 juice.
    Last edited by boomerdude; 06-22-2014 at 09:51 PM.

I understand that part but what I am talking about is other sites have stated that I would not only need to buy nicotine but also PG and VG liquid for bases and what I am wanting to know is if I am ok with a 50/50 ratio would all I need to buy is the nicotine liquid since it is 50/50 VG/PG or do I need to buy another type of liquid besides the nicotine and the flavor?

Super Member ECF Veteran

Here's a good calculator to download and play around with. eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator Every flavor manufacturer is different. Some taste good at 2-5%. Others need 10-15%. There are lot's of threads here (though you may have to look a little) that give "suggested" starting % for the different brands.

I'd start with a higher mg nicotine (say 36). That gives you plenty of room to add lot's of flavor and still get you to 6mg 50/50.

And yes, you will need to buy some PG and VG. You will also need something to measure with (I like syringes).

Edit: Since you're going for a 50/50 mix, I'd suggest buying the nicotine in a PG only base. It's just easier that way.
    Last edited by Rickb119; 06-22-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

If he vapes 6mg, then if you get 6mg/ml 50/50, all you'd need to add is whatever flavoring you want. Of course you end up with less than 6mg and slightly higher pg than vg due to the dilution from the added flavoring.

You only need to add plain VG & PG if you start with a higher nic concentration than you want for the finished liquid.
    WillyZee likes this.

thanks SueGeo that is what I needed to know

Veteran Puppy Supporting Member RocketPuppy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lwilson596287 View Post
    Hello all been lurking for a little while in this section but am getting kinda tired of buying pre-made stuff for my dad and was looking into possibly making it for him myself. What I was wondering though is I found a website that sells 6mg liter bottles of nicotine and it said it is a 50/50 PG/VG mix, what I need to know is if I were to purchase this liquid would the only other thing I need be flavors or is there something else that I would need to purchase. I have been reading up on DIY stuff and while I understand the mixing aspect I just need to know would I still need to buy a PG or VG base or is it already there in the nicotine liquid I would be buying?
    Here's a simple blog which what you need and prices: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...rting-diy.html

Btw...Heartland Vapes sells a liter of 6mg for $25.99, but once you dilute it down, for two dollars more, go with the 12mg. Nicotine Solution 6mg Pure USP Grade - Liter Heartlandvapes Wholesale
    All opinions expressed represent those of RocketPuppy.

so really all I need is either the 6mg liter or the 12mg liter of nicotine liquid and some flavors?

Ultra Member Verified Member Susan~S's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lwilson596287 View Post
    so really all I need is either the 6mg liter or the 12mg liter of nicotine liquid and some flavors?
    If you post a link to the product you are thinking of purchasing it might make it easier for someone to give you a definitive answer.
    Steam-Engine - The "All in One" Vaping Calculator

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

You can buy premade unflavored nic juice from several people if you are not wanting to mix everything yourself. You can google unflavored nic juice and a bunch come up. It is still cheaper to buy your own nic, pg and vg and mix it the way you want. No doubt it is still a lot cheaper and very easy to do. That is what I do. I just flavor my unflavored juice. Good luck to ya and happy vaping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast