accuracy of syringes
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: accuracy of syringes

Default accuracy of syringes

new to DIY and it occurred to me that using a syringe isn't really accurate. I measured 1 ml with a syringe (with and w/o a needle attached)and transferred that amount to a 1 ml glass dripper and found that it measured about 1.1 ml. Obviously not often an issue except when you are dealing with really strong or highly concentrated flavours. anyone else notice this or think it may be an issue? am I being too anal LOL?

Super Member Verified Member Dogeggs's Avatar

As long as your measurements are repeatable, ie use the same type of syringes, then it won't matter a bit.
    Donovan69 likes this.

I was sorta worried about the same thing...I like to use a blunt needle on the syringe when I'm making 5ml test batches, but doesn't that change the amount of liquid that is collected in the syringe? And I've found not all the flavor liquid come out of the syringe. I've started measuring out the PG/VG amount into a small container, and draw some up to "rinse" the flavor liquid out of the syringe. When you're measuring hundredths of a ml, the recipe is probably not repeatable for a 30ml batch. Tiny differences, multiplied, become large differences. It's probably not a big deal, but since I've been DIY'ing non-stop for a month and still haven't made anything decent to vape, I'm analyzing way too much!

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by cjcaddy View Post
    new to DIY and it occurred to me that using a syringe isn't really accurate. I measured 1 ml with a syringe (with and w/o a needle attached)and transferred that amount to a 1 ml glass dripper and found that it measured about 1.1 ml. Obviously not often an issue except when you are dealing with really strong or highly concentrated flavours. anyone else notice this or think it may be an issue? am I being too anal LOL?
    Sounds like you didn't do a "Between the Lines" measurement.

To Dispense 1ml, try drawing 1.5ml into the Syringe and then Purge any Air in the Barrel until you have 1.2ml in the Barrel. (The 1.2ml Doesn't matter and it can be Anything Greater than 1ml). Now Dispense the Flavoring until you get to .2ml on the Barrel and Stop.

1.2ml - .2ml = 1ml

A Syringe may be Calibrated for a Given Needle Length and Gauge. But if a Person uses a Bigger Gauge and or Length, they are going to get More than 1ml if the go from 1ml on the Barrel to Full Depression of the Plunger. And Vica Versa if the Needle is a Smaller Gauge or Length.

---

BTW - I Love your Avatar!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dogeggs View Post
    As long as your measurements are repeatable, ie use the same type of syringes, then it won't matter a bit.
    I wish More People would Consider this. And think about the Difference between "Accuracy" and "Precision".

Trying to Achieve High Levels of Accuracy to Arbitrary Volumes is what Makes DIY Hard and Frustrating for Many People.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    Sounds like you didn't do a "Between the Lines" measurement.

To Dispense 1ml, try drawing 1.5ml into the Syringe and then Purge any Air in the Barrel until you have 1.2ml in the Barrel. (The 1.2ml Doesn't matter and it can be Anything Greater than 1ml). Now Dispense the Flavoring until you get to .2ml on the Barrel and Stop.

1.2ml - .2ml = 1ml

A Syringe may be Calibrated for a Given Needle Length and Gauge. But if a Person uses a Bigger Gauge and or Length, they are going to get More than 1ml if the go from 1ml on the Barrel to Full Depression of the Plunger. And Vica Versa if the Needle is a Smaller Gauge or Length.

---

BTW - I Love your Avatar!
    Grreat tip, zoidman!
    zoiDman likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

For small batches of liquid, i use a set of jewellery weighing scales. For big batches of juice - say 300ml, i use graduated tubes, since 1ml either way will not mess up a recipe.

T
    zoiDman and Donovan69 like this.

You are what you eat? I don't remember eating a sexy beast this morning!

PV Master ECF Veteran michaelsil1's Avatar

Notes and repeatability are far more important.
    zoiDman likes this.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by supertrunker View Post
    For small batches of liquid, i use a set of jewellery weighing scales. For big batches of juice - say 300ml, i use graduated tubes, since 1ml either way will not mess up a recipe.

T
    Using a .01g Scale does Remove much of the Inherent Hassles of doing Volumetric Measurements.

And Dramatically Reduces the amount of Lab Ware that needs to be Washed after Every Mix.

BTW - If anyone is Thinking about using a Scale for DIY, here is a Good Thread.

Mixing by Weight - Are You ??
    Last edited by zoiDman; 08-17-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added Scale Thread.
    twgbonehead likes this.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsil1 View Post
    Notes and repeatability are far more important.
    Ding - Ding - Ding

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!
    supertrunker likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast