Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY liquid getting darker...

Senior Member ECF Veteran justsomeguy's Avatar

Default DIY liquid getting darker...

So I've been mixing my own liquid, and been really happy with the results overall, but I started noticing that my liquids are getting darker after a few days.

My supplies are all in amber bottles, and they seem fine.
    But when I mix up a small batch of flavored liquid (usually about 10 or 15ml) I put it into a small clear plastic dropper bottle.

The liquid looks clear on the first day - and after a few days it gets an orange like tint to it. Since I noticed I've been keeping an eye on it, and have noticed that it's getting darker still.

I'm guessing it has something to do with exposure to sunlight.
    But mainly I'm wondering is this something I should be concerned with at all? Is this just an effect of the flavoring, or is it an indicator of impurities in the liquid?

Any thoughts?
    For 17 years I smoked a pack and a half a day. Never again.

Number of smokers I've turned on to vaping: 4

Ultra Member* ECF Veteran Rocketman's Avatar

Do the Wiki on Nicotine, happens, photosensitive.
    Doesn't seem to bother the NIC,

(secret way of telling if your supplier kept your NIC in the dark before he sold it to you)

Senior Member ECF Veteran justsomeguy's Avatar

Thanks for the info.
    I had read something about that - but for some reason thought it had something to do with impurities in the liquid, didn't realize it was just he nature of nicotine.

Just did some searching on 'nictotine' and 'photosensitive' and sure enough you're right.
    That would help explain why my liquid has turns darker much faster than the lower nic liquid my wife has been vaping.
    For 17 years I smoked a pack and a half a day. Never again.

Number of smokers I've turned on to vaping: 4

Super Member ECF Veteran

I've noticed this with Capellas van. custard, french van., orange cream... some lorran stuff too, I forget which tho. Haven't notice any from the Flavourart stuff yet.

I believe its a reaction of all things in the bottle-- doesn't seem to effect taste just psyche, IMHO.

Personally I like liquids that aren't too heavy on unintended coloring-- slight tint=yes, day-glo/red-orange=it have to be pretty damn tastey

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    I had read something about that - but for some reason thought it had something to do with impurities in the liquid, didn't realize it was just he nature of nicotine.

Just did some searching on 'nictotine' and 'photosensitive' and sure enough you're right.
    That would help explain why my liquid has turns darker much faster than the lower nic liquid my wife has been vaping.
    I've noticed this ... and I keep my niquids in a black lock-box. Iirc, the small (or not so small, depending on the size and fill-level of your bottle) amount of air in the bottle is a culprit in this darkening, as well.

Jan

Ultra Member ECF Veteran AlexTM's Avatar

I don't think it's the nic - I have a few crystal clear liquids, made with FA liquid and flavours, and they are in clear bottles, and not a hint of getting any colour to be seen.

Vote in the polls, vapers, we need numbers!

Super Member ECF Veteran sjohnson's Avatar

At two extremes, my DIY FA perique black stays clear over a period of weeks. Capellas vanilla custard DIY turns pink overnight. Both are stored in clear bottles and sitting on a counter.

Organic chemical reactions with the ingredients is my guess. But light doesn't seem to play much of a role in my case.
    "... We seek a new birth of federalism because we seek a new birth of freedom, both for ourselves and for our posterity." Ronald Reagan

Senior Member ECF Veteran Skwerl's Avatar

Anything with vanilla or vanillin will discolor in niquid, soaps, and candles. Its perfectly normal.
    ...with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran Dkrom68's Avatar

Not a big deal at all even flavors you buy change over time mix up some Tobacco abolute and watch it change to orange in a few days

Gratefulvaper.Com Get your I06 and 306 Sleeves

Ultra Member ECF Veteran AlexTM's Avatar

I'm certain there are other factors at play here ... my TA stays slightly greenish-brown for as long as it lasts :O

Vote in the polls, vapers, we need numbers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast