Christmas with diyflavorshack contest - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Christmas with diyflavorshack contest

PIF Moderator Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I don't have one in particular, but all that involve my moms finicky way of hanging tinsel on the tree....

one... painstakingly... strand.. at a time

I remember one year grabbing a handful and lobbing it onto the tree.....whee the guts I had

with lightning fast speed (you'd of thought she was a cheetah or something) she managed to grab it mid-air and give me that look
    you know the one with one eyebrow lifted in disgust...

I now have that same eyebrow...permanently arched higher than the other and it makes it damn near impossible to get the other drawn on symmetrically

My mom has been gone since 12/23/98...I miss you terribly and may you always have lots of sunshine & roses...
    Uncle, morri, clnire and 1 others like this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Hi Dawn thank you for the contest for Christmas, here is my story, I hold it very close to my heart.

My best Christmas was not too long ago. My husband was in a very bad motorcycle accident Nov. 9 2011 that first night when they brought me, my parents and our daughter into a private ER waiting room I knew it wasn't going to be good but I never imagined they were going to tell me "he likely wont make the night if you want to go see him and say goodbye please come with me". Well of course I didn't say goodbye, instead I went back and told him he needed to fight because we weren't done yet we had lots more thing to see and do together...it was very bad though, broken C-1, traumatic brain injury (no helmet) and his face was totally crushed among many other things. He was on life support for 3 weeks and then in a drug induced coma for about 2 1/2 more. On Dec 18 he "woke up" but still wasn't able to communicate from the brain injury and he had a trach but he was still here with us when they all said he wouldn't be. So instead of decorating our home for Christmas (why would I, I was never there I spent all my time with him at the hosp) our daughter and I decorated his room, Christmas lights all around the window, decorations on the walls but the Christmas Tree was the best part...it was very small about 1 ft high, it had lights and played music...really loud music, It was so beautiful all lit up in his room, the Christmas music from the tree playing. It was enough to get his attention for the first time since the accident. Randy wrote on a piece of paper that night (that I still have up on my refrigerator) I luv you both. It was all up hill from there and he was finally sent home Jan. 5th 2012. Its been a bit over 2 years now and hes almost fully recovered and our tree this year, its the same tree we had in the hospital, it actually stays up all year to remind both of us how precious life really is. I was never a big Christmas fan it always seemed so commercialized but now...well its my favorite Holiday. Enjoy our little Tree as much as we do. Merry Christmas to everyone.

20131221_215516_LLS.jpg
    Last edited by Barbii; 12-22-2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: noticed my first msispelled word, im sure theres more
    Uncle, morri, whodat2112 and 3 others like this.

For my Dad 2/16/34 - 4/2/2014 I Love You Always

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

My best Christmas, at least since I have been married would be this one. We managed to get my wifes sister and niece down from Washington State that she has not seen in over 10 years. On top of that we have gotten almost our entire family up and into one house, which is a rare occurrence by itself. And it is my birthday on Monday, soo it is a birthday/Christmas gift. And the wife is happy happy happy so that is of course always good also.
    Uncle, morri, whodat2112 and 2 others like this.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Probably the most memorable Christmas that I ever had was in 1988. I was a sophomore in college, and I was spending the year studying abroad (living in Florence).

For Christmas, several of us took a train to Interlaken, Switzerland. We all stayed at a youth hostel in this idyllic little mountain town in the Swiss Alps. On Christmas Eve, the hostel showed The Sound of Music, and it was a complete blast spending time with 20-somethings from around the world drinking beer and singing along with the movie. . . I'll never forget it.

A photo of Interlaken.. .

AG51, Uncle, morri and 5 others like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I remember when I was young my Grandfather got me a guitar for Christmas. I had so wanted one and I was ecstatic. But then my brother and sister decided they should also get to play it so in order to keep the peace, it was then made into a present for all of us. Frankly that sucked and I don't even remember what happened to it.
    AG51, Uncle, morri and 3 others like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by AG51 View Post
    My Best Christmas was the year I got accused of being Santa Claus yep, me a monkey was Santa Claus

A friend I worked with had just moved into a new home they got on a deal. It took all their money but they just had a 'surprise' baby (a 3rd,an unexpected boy). They weren't going to be able to have a Christmas in their first year in their new home. I was able at the time to go shopping and I bought Christmas gifts for the whole family secretly. I drove to their house rite before Christmas and had unloaded the car of gifts into their master bedroom closet without the kids seeing me The parents cried, I told them to Sshhhhhhh so the kids wouldn't hear us That Christmas morning Santa had visited them. Smiles Abound All Over the House ! When I went to visit Christmas day, the kids were having a ball with all their gifts. Then the oldest son cornered me and whispered in my ear..."I know you were Santa Claus this year. It had to be you, My mommy and Daddy had no money to buy us gifts. I want to Thank You "Santa", he said with a kiss to my cheek, Don't tell my little sister. It'll be OUR secret forever."

Of course I denied it as I didn't even have ANY gray hair at the time
    Now that is what Christmas is supposed to be about. Good for you AG.
    AG51, kritter, Uncle and 2 others like this.

ECF Guru ECF Veteran 36tinybells's Avatar

Not an entry,
    Dawn, just thanks. You are a lovely person and I want to thank you for being you. You have given me presents/prizes in the past and though I don't stop by ECF so often now, I think of your kindness often and appreciate what you do/give and wanted to let you know how much it touches me. I mix all of my own mellow juices now, with very little flavorings and I learned a lot from your words- and your flavors. I have not smoked a cig since May of 2012. My health and life and finances are way better. Thank you, sincerely. Keep on gifting what you can with these prizes and contests- you are making us healthier and happier and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and awesome 2014! Hugs!
    dawnmarie, kritter, Uncle and 4 others like this.
    “There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do.”
    Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

Super Member Verified Member doctadrea's Avatar

My favorite christmas present ever was a play kitchen. I spent hours creating "food" with it. I became a professional chef when I grew up...
    Uncle, morri and clnire like this.

ECF Guru* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Somewhere near the Cascade Mountains, United States
    Blog Entries

I think my best Christmas ever was just a few years ago....I was at school most of the day taking finals & when I returned home it was dark in the house... When I unlocked the door the lights came on & there was the decorated tree with a mini village all set up and outside the back door was a beautiful snowman all lit up with decorations. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Just that someone worked so hard all day to make it beautiful for me made it the best Christmas ever.....
    Uncle, morri and clnire like this.

Well I wuz a young whippersnapper, I had wimmens kissin me an tellin me how handsum I wuz, even brought me a bottle of mah favorite stuff an all tha purdy lites! I had jest been borned in tha hospital! Thawt I mite like it HERE, so I stayed round!

yepper, fergot ta thank Dawn an all she's done fer everbody an these here contests too! When ya git old, ya lucky ta member whur ya false .....
    Last edited by kritter; 12-24-2013 at 12:40 AM.
    AG51, Uncle, morri and 1 others like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast