Battery maintenance and storage techniques.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Battery maintenance and storage techniques.

Default Battery maintenance and storage techniques.

I have found a dreadful lack of battery information In the Ecig world. I will post helpful links here for anyone wanting to learn more about the power supplies we rely on so much. Anyone who wants to add useful links please add them as well.

These are from batteryuniversity.com which contains everything you could possibly want to know:
    Types of Lithium-ion Batteries

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Frequetly Asked Questions on How to Charge Batteries

The stickies on this thread are great for information on chargers:
    Chargers | BudgetLightForum.com
    qccraig likes this.
    Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing. –Henry David Thoreau

*Nerd Warning* If you really like the details of how something works, this is a good link. */Nerd Warning*

The Radio Controle car/plane/boat hobbyest really know a thing about batteries. It's kind of amazing what you can know about a battery.

This is for an advanced charging/management system.

What is a Hobby Charger
    Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing. –Henry David Thoreau

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the links. I've been to battery university before. Making batteries last starts with a good charger and a good device that lets you know when the output volts decrease beyond the limits of the battery. Don't over charge and don't over discharge and you'll get around 500 cycles out of a AW IMR. And, never carry a battery in your pocket when it is full of loose change. Learned that the hard way one day.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas Edison

Full Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I have also gone through and found out some of the ways which we can use to maintain and care our batteries Care & Maintenance Of Your Electronic Cigarette - Home ,Check out this link as it shows steps wise representation in which we can maintain the batteries.
    Go through this article too http://www.articlesbase.com/alternat...e-2648683.html .In each and every article or read we learn something amazing and unique ways.

Quote Originally Posted by qccraig View Post
    And, never carry a battery in your pocket when it is full of loose change. Learned that the hard way one day.
    Pocket welding... That sounds painful

These Charging bags area cheap bit of insurance in case a charger over charges a battery.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Lipo...w=1278&bih=578

LIPOBAG.jpg

I'm using a metal "cash box" I got from Staples. I drilled a hole in the side for the cord and now I have a fire safe box.

DSCF4403.jpgDSCF4404.jpg

I admit this would be overkill for someone charging 600mAh batteries but I'm charging 2000mAh and 3500mAh IMR batteries.

In either case charge in a fire safe location away from drapes etc. I think a good guideline is, if you wouldn't put a candle there don't put a charging battery there.
    Last edited by Boden; 11-16-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Here's another everything you could want to know site.

Battery Chargers and Charging Methods

Here is a great video from Fazed:

Smart Charger Comparison and Review - YouTube

As I have delved into LiIon technology I have found some handy tips.

When charging any LiIon battery there is what is called the "C" rating of the battery. Lets take a AW IMR 18650 2000mAh 3.7V. It's C rating is 2000mAh. When charging, you can charge at 1C but it is hard on the battery. It is best to charge at .5C or less. For the 2000mAh battery .5 X 2000=1000mAh or 1 Amp charge current at 3.7V. This reduces stresses in the battery such as internal heating and oxidization rates. Reducing the rate to .4C or 800mAh is even better. One thing to know is although it will take a bit longer to charge the battery at a lower rate, it will help the battery last longer overall. So the slower the charge the happier the battery.

Basic guidelines: (these are approximate)

1C rate = 300-500 charge cycles
    .5C rate =800-1000 charge cycles
    .4C rate 1000-1500 charge cycles

If you lower the cutoff Voltage to 4.1v vs 4.2V batteries last even longer.

Cutoff Voltage = charge cycles
    4.2V = 300-500 charge cycles
    4.1V = 600-1000 charge cycles
    4.0V = 1200-2000 charge cycles

Adding these two factors together and you get silly cell life. But that's a topic for another post, plus you need a really fancy charger to do that. (see next post )
    Last edited by Boden; 11-22-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast