Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Size wick for protank, Evod, MT3

Senior Member Verified Member JasonK94Z's Avatar

Default Size wick for protank, Evod, MT3

I'm so confused after reading all day. What size wick can I use to rebuild coils for my protank, Evod, and t3/mt3. I've seen all sizes being used, but I'm looking for one size fits all. Ekowool 3mm?

I need to get started on this ASAP. I know to order 32 ga kanthal wire. I'm using a smoktech winder

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

The stock head is 2mm silica wick with 1mm "flavor wicks" on top of that. You can also use .8mm silica for the flavor wicks. I actually took measurements of a stock head and found 6 wraps of 30 AWG (metric equivalent actually) with the coil's inside diameter being 1.55mm and the wicks as noted. I started a thread about it somewhere around here.

You can get good silica wick here:
    Silica Wick

Resistance wire here:
    Variable Speed Drives, Phase Converters items in TEMCo Industrial Power Systems store on eBay!
    rawr likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member jmkiang's Avatar

I ditched the flavor wicks and rebuilt all my Kanger ProTank coils with double wrapped 2mm silica with 4 wraps of 32awg. Measuring at 1.8ohms, it works so much better than the 1.8/2.2 stock coils I got with the tank.

No leaks with this setup either.
    EzFreee likes this.
    Atmomixani Nemesis VR / Elli's Mod Lotus SS / Brass / Tarsius 4Nine
    SM Kayfun 3.1 Delta / 3.1 Brushed, IM Patriot, Origen Dripper / EM Bud

Full Member Verified Member dfwraptor's Avatar

i used 3mm silica with a few small wicks i pulled apart and put on top of the coil works great. 32awg 4 wrap

I used 3mm silica and 30 awg with 5 wraps. It came in at 1.2 ohms and vapes a little too warm. Just sharing.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I use 3mm silica wick in all my PT2 and EVOD. I've tried it without any flavor wicks with absolutely no problem, but when I trim the wick, I compulsively take one of the strands of of the 3mm wick as a top wick ... which really does nothing.

I also started testing with 3mm over the past couple days. The short term objective was just to make recoiling a bit faster without losing any performance. Compared to 2mm with 1mm flavor wicks on top, I can't tell the difference of just a single 3mm wick. Works at least as well.

I'm starting to wonder if Kangertech came up with the flavor wick idea because they had a cheap supply of 1mm and 2mm wick on hand.

Can anyone tell the difference? I'm wondering if I'm missing something but I can't tell.

Super Member Verified Member Hoofhearted62's Avatar

i use 32 ga kanthol, 2.5 mm silica doubled over, 4-5 wraps on everything, t3/protank/protank2. works fine for all of them

E-Go twist, Zmax v5 (Black), Smok Magneto, Kanger Protank, Kanger Protank 2. DIY Juices.

I've done a bit more trial and error experimenting and have come up with some conclusions.

3mm wick does indeed fit perfectly and performs as least as well if not better than 2mm with 1mm "flavor wicks" on top.

I think Kangertech went with the 2mm wick for the coil because anything bigger results in either a coil with too high a resistance or too few wraps to work with a standard ego battery. The "flavor wicks" allow more juice to touch that smaller coil for decent performance even with a standard ego battery. If using a VV battery or VW mod, there's no real reason to stick with the original set up instead of a single 3mm wick with coil.

Coils that are the right size for the wick work better. Too tight chokes the wicking but unfortunately too lose doesn't make good thermal coupling. I used fatter coils for a while to make builds easier, but after trying slightly tighter coils for a while, I have to conclude too loose is as bad as too tight. Also, thicker wire couples better, but the vape is too rich for me using 24mg/ ml juice (which I have a good bit of). Nic overload too quickly.

The favored build (of the week lol) is 32 AWG Kanthal wrapped on a number 47 drill bit, 6 wraps which results in 2.4 to 2.5 ohms. The 3mm wick will just fit and that seems like the tightest coil to wick using 3mm without a lot of hassle. Vapes very nice at around 7 watts.

With lower nic juice, same build as above except using 30AWG Kanthal with 8 or 9 wraps. Very nice, rich and flavorful vape at 11 or 12 watts.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I'm using 32g kanthal, and 2mm silica wick. I tried the 2mm WITHOUT any flavor wick...and it didn't perform well. I do like doubling the 2mm silica wick, or using 2mm + a few strands for a flavor wick.

Sounds like I'll get 3mm silica next purchase to play around with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast