best polishing product
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: best polishing product

Default best polishing product

i recently picked up mothers metal polish and it works wonders on my brass nemesis. but it leaves a weird residue on my threads that is a b**ch to get out. anybody that has the same problem? anybody recommend different alternatives.
    Coil likes this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

i just bought a huge tin of "cape cod polishing cloths" at a local hardware store. Could not be easier and the cloths are reusable. It even got rid of a ton of hairline scratches on my nemesis which i was really suprised about.
    Coil and izen like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kenxstyle View Post
    i recently picked up mothers metal polish and it works wonders on my brass nemesis. but it leaves a weird residue on my threads that is a b**ch to get out. anybody that has the same problem? anybody recommend different alternatives.
    Funny. I was just about so start a thread on polishing mods. I've had the same problem using polishes on brass and SS mods as well. If your going to use cream/ paste polishes I would recommend only using micro fiber clothes. I use short/ stubby craft brushes from Michael's or Joann Fabrics to handle the build up in the threads. Super soft bristles will help to not Marr the finish. I take the micro fiber after and bury it in the threads and spin the cloth back and forth in a circular motion to get any left overs out.

Quote Originally Posted by illitirit View Post
    i just bought a huge tin of "cape cod polishing cloths" at a local hardware store. Could not be easier and the cloths are reusable. It even got rid of a ton of hairline scratches on my nemesis which i was really suprised about.

How do these work on tarnished and oxidized brass? I've seen some reviews on them and they've all been used on pretty clean mods with only finger prints. Either way I guess it's worth a shot to try them out. I've got a Grand Vapor Private V2 that has some pretty ugly tarnish on it right now. I'm still trying to figure out if the brass on this mod is TRUE brass or just brass plated? I don't wanna use anything to abrasive if it's just plated.
    Last edited by Coil; 10-31-2013 at 07:09 AM.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Sharkhide Aluminum Metal Polish. All other polishes pale in comparison. 40.00 for 1 lb can Threads must be cleaned of residue with toothbrush and dawn

JGG Proto,GGTS, GGTB , Stealth, JGG, Caravela, Polidiac #6, GUS Lord #78, Ti Prometey L.E. #1, Prometey 1, Prometey 2 #1, 17, Achilles #1, Gryphon,Hydra 2, DID, Mini DID, ZAU, ZAG, Hellfire, Iatty, UFS V1, Odysseus, Penelope, Nahual #16, Bliss, Nahual Proto Genisis ,Kato Hammer #536,

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dspin View Post
    Sharkhide Aluminum Metal Polish. All other polishes pale in comparison. 40.00 for 1 lb can Threads must be cleaned of residue with toothbrush and dawn
    I'll have to check that out. I asked AG what he uses and he said that he uses Simichrome. I do like the Cape Cod clothes so far for quick cleans with no left over residue.

ECF Veteran

Firing button on my El Kapitan...

Finished Kapitan

Grand Vapor Private V2 came out ok... I'm going to need some of that Sharkhide and Simichrome to get it any better then this

Can't really complain for about 15 min. per mod with a cloth and some elbow grease.
    Last edited by Coil; 11-02-2013 at 11:32 AM.

ECF Veteran

I do restorations on vintage coin operated machines(mostly pinball) as a hobby so I polish quite a bit of metal. I've gone through all the good polishes at least once. Now I use a machine and rouge. Sounds expensive but its not. My first polishing machine was a bench polish/buff machine from harbour freight. It cost $28 after all the sales discounts. It's a bench mounted machine with two 6" wheels. Once you have the machine you can buy the wheels that's best for you. You can get different grits of rouge for different metals and different wheels for different finishes. For $50 you can have a polishing setup that lasts for years.

Oh, to get rid of the residue I use 91% isopropyl alcohol. It devolves the residue on contact. It also displaces any water (in case u were using water) and dries clean. I normally give my mods an alcohol bath in the ultrasonic cleaner after polishing. If you don't have a u.s.cleaner a bowl will work fine.
    Coil likes this.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Thepinfamily View Post
    I do restorations on vintage coin operated machines(mostly pinball) as a hobby so I polish quite a bit of metal. I've gone through all the good polishes at least once. Now I use a machine and rouge. Sounds expensive but its not. My first polishing machine was a bench polish/buff machine from harbour freight. It cost $28 after all the sales discounts. It's a bench mounted machine with two 6" wheels. Once you have the machine you can buy the wheels that's best for you. You can get different grits of rouge for different metals and different wheels for different finishes. For $50 you can have a polishing setup that lasts for years.

Oh, to get rid of the residue I use 91% isopropyl alcohol. It devolves the residue on contact. It also displaces any water (in case u were using water) and dries clean. I normally give my mods an alcohol bath in the ultrasonic cleaner after polishing. If you don't have a u.s.cleaner a bowl will work fine.
    Very cool. I used to do Auto Detailing myself (years ago) so I only have orbital machines. That would be a good investment though... I'd like to have all the bells and whistles for polishing someday. Maybe a nice little setup in the garage.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Coil p post 6061

GG pictures

Everything I polish is done by hand, dont have machine buffers

Coil, Wingapo and lenz like this.

JGG Proto,GGTS, GGTB , Stealth, JGG, Caravela, Polidiac #6, GUS Lord #78, Ti Prometey L.E. #1, Prometey 1, Prometey 2 #1, 17, Achilles #1, Gryphon,Hydra 2, DID, Mini DID, ZAU, ZAG, Hellfire, Iatty, UFS V1, Odysseus, Penelope, Nahual #16, Bliss, Nahual Proto Genisis ,Kato Hammer #536,

ECF Veteran

It can certainly be done by hand. That's the way its way done for thousands of years. I've also done my fair share of hand polishing. Some things need to be done by hand to get the desired finish. Other things, like most mods, can be done on a machine in just a few minutes and come out perfect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast