Fun with a polishing wheel.... or so I thought - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fun with a polishing wheel.... or so I thought

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Haven't had a chance to pick something up... under the weather unfortunately. Will give it another shot when I'm feeling better.
    MODS: *ZNA, 4Nine, *Lux v3, Buffalo, Caravela, Vaporwood Mini, Da Iron Mod
    ATTYS: Mephisto, Zenith, *Quicksilver, *Quasar, Origen, Senio, Tobh, CATs, Heron, Kayfun Lite+
    *Denotes favorites

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    You did OK, you just didn't do enough. You will need to use the red to get those scratches out, then white to polish. If that is plated metal, use some caution and check your work often...you could buff right through the plating and into the base metal, especially with the red. Keep your work,moving, don't let the wheel stay in the same place any length of time or the compound will burn. Load your buffing wheel often with compound. You know you need to load more when it doesn't seem to be making any progress, and when it's overloaded, you will see compound build up on the surface of the metal outside the edges of the buffing wheel. After the scratches are buffed out with the red, switch wheels and compounds and polish with the white. This step shouldn't take nearly as long as the red did.

Again...start with red, keep it moving, check often. Finish with white using the same method, and change wheels in between compounds. Don't get in a hurry and it will come out fine.
    Bolivar covered this very well yes indeed.

Allow me to add; as a clarification only one type of compound per buff. Don't use two different compounds on one buff. Important.

When you do go from one compound to the next, give your work piece a quick once-over with an alcohol damp cloth.
    This will remove any remaining compound providing a clean playing field for the next one.

Lastly, let the compound do the work. Don't force the workpiece into the buffing wheel. You want the buff to just kiss the work surface.
    If the face of the buff is distorting you're pushin' too hard (-:
    Lifted and cptnswitchblade like this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Home of The First and Best WTA . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . It's Not Just About Unflavored Anymore!. . . . . . . . . . .

When I first started polishing automotive parts this guide taught me a lot. But I will agree with others from where you are I think hand polishing is in order. Make sure when you remove any wax/polish/compound to use 100% cotton towels to wipe it off (I get mine from automotive sections @ the big WM or at auto parts stores.) Also never use the same towel for multiple compounds.

ECF Veteran

Boy, there's a lot more to this than I was aware of! Thanks for all the input everyone, it's really appreciated.
    ATTYS: Mephisto, Zenith, *Quicksilver, *Quasar, Origen, Senio, Tobh, CATs, Heron, Kayfun Lite+
    *Denotes favorites

ECF Veteran

Ok, so I just restored the Lux to its former glory. Actually, better than. Aside from the fact that the button is now brass, it looks better than it did when I first got it. In fact, I think the button looks better. The gold plating wasn't done very well, or at least didn't look nearly as good as the polished brass does right now.

Anyway, since it went so well, I decided to buff a couple other things as well. Did my Caravela clone (which looks amazing for a $14 mod I must say!), the top cap for my IGO-L, and my brass shorty drip tip.

Here are some pics:

Lux Before

Lux After

Caravela clone

Cap and Drip Tip

COHgirl and NahkriinKrosis like this.
    *Denotes favorites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12