Doctors visit regarding COPD
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree298Likes

Thread: Doctors visit regarding COPD

Resting In Peace ECF Veteran txtumbleweed's Avatar

Default Doctors visit regarding COPD

I quit smoking for my final time 16 months ago when I started vaping. I started smoking 55 years ago when I was 15. I had been diagnosed with COPD a few years prior and knew I had to quit or I would soon be on oxygen like my brother and many friends are or were, my brother just died in Jan, because of smoking for over 50 years . I tried my best but although I had quit for five years once and ten years another time I couldn't stay quit this time. I tried other nicotine substitutes but nothing worked until I tried vaping. To make a long story short I went for my annual check up and I was real curious about my lungs and how they were doing. The last time I had my lungs checked the doctor said my lungs sounded like an accordian so I was anxious to find out how they sounded now after vaping for 16 months. I knew I no longer wheezed or coughed but what would they sound like to the doctor. He was amazed and I was delighted because he said they sounded really good. I told him I hadn't had a single cold in 16 months although I take care of my grandkids and they have had lots of colds but I haven't had a single one. I told him I can't prove it but I think it because of the PG I vape. He was real interested in them because this was at the VA hospital and there are many ol vets like me that have COPD. So I pulled out my Go-Go and showed him how it vaped right there in the examining room. He was pretty amazed and wanted to know where I bought them and how much they cost and how often I used it. lol I am going to start carrying cards with me to hand out.
    Besides all of that my cholestoral was perfect and my blood pressure was perfect so I'm a happy ol codger today.

PV Master ECF Veteran

Congrats. That is good news. Imagine what the VA would save if they got all their smoker patients vaping!
    AvalonMyst and Uncle Sam like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Great story. Thanks for sharing. My sister has COPD and is on a oxygen tank and my Dad had it before he passed away. That's one of the many things that keep me vaping and off analogues.
    AvalonMyst likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Why the hell can't the BBC interview you??? I think you should camp on the doorstep of the FDA with your doc and a real journalist until your story is heard. Jerks would never carry good news though.

Btw txt, congrats...great news.

Hog VV, Hog Bottom Fed VV, Buzz

Sdh

Congrats to you! Happy vaping and continued good health!
    fairweasel2323 likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran Joey S's Avatar

Congrats on the good news. I love seeing stories like this.
    fairweasel2323 likes this.

Smoke Free Since 1/22/11

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Congrats on a great doctor's visit. Wouldn't it be cool if he did more research after seeing your results and started recommending them to others.
    AvalonMyst and fairweasel2323 like this.

Triple Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

awsome! now tell that to the WA state legislators
    Quote Originally Posted by txtumbleweed View Post
    I quit smoking for my final time 16 months ago when I started vaping. I started smoking 55 years ago when I was 15. I had been diagnosed with COPD a few years prior and knew I had to quit or I would soon be on oxygen like my brother and many friends are or were, my brother just died in Jan, because of smoking for over 50 years . I tried my best but although I had quit for five years once and ten years another time I couldn't stay quit this time. I tried other nicotine substitutes but nothing worked until I tried vaping. To make a long story short I went for my annual check up and I was real curious about my lungs and how they were doing. The last time I had my lungs checked the doctor said my lungs sounded like an accordian so I was anxious to find out how they sounded now after vaping for 16 months. I knew I no longer wheezed or coughed but what would they sound like to the doctor. He was amazed and I was delighted because he said they sounded really good. I told him I hadn't had a single cold in 16 months although I take care of my grandkids and they have had lots of colds but I haven't had a single one. I told him I can't prove it but I think it because of the PG I vape. He was real interested in them because this was at the VA hospital and there are many ol vets like me that have COPD. So I pulled out my Go-Go and showed him how it vaped right there in the examining room. He was pretty amazed and wanted to know where I bought them and how much they cost and how often I used it. lol I am going to start carrying cards with me to hand out.
    Besides all of that my cholestoral was perfect and my blood pressure was perfect so I'm a happy ol codger today.
    Pheisty likes this.

Resting In Peace ECF Veteran txtumbleweed's Avatar

Thanks and there are probably hundreds if not thousands of stories just like mine that need to be told. Maybe not thousands my age yet anyways but could be the story of tens of thousands if the correct message was being sent by our legislatures and doctors. The doctors can be won over one doctor at a time because they can see first hand the difference vaping makes. I'm fortunate I was able to quit for ten years once and five years once and that gave my lungs a 15 year break or I would already have been on oxygen or dead like my brother who started smoking the same time I did. I watched my dad die the slow death of emphezema, it isn't pretty. I just spent 14 days at my brothers bedside in ICU as he died from heart failure caused from smoking and it wasn't pretty either. I don't mean to sound depressing but it is what it is and so many lives can be saved and spared if can get our message across to the powers that be. I have written some legislatures and plan on doing more now that I've found my perfect PV and don't have to spend all my time searching every new thing. lol I can actually take some time to read a forum like this and be inspired by someone like glowgirl. What an awesome story she told.

Admin
    Ask The Vets Manager
    Asst Classifieds Manager
    Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Supporting the Rules I agreed to when I joined this Forum

Big Hug to you tx!!!!! And to your doctor too for jumping in with interest !!!

These stories are what's needed !!

Again....BIG ((hug)) !!!!!

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast