WholeCig WTA discussion thread. All topics welcome! - Page 3
Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Like Tree1517Likes

Thread: WholeCig WTA discussion thread. All topics welcome!

PIF Forum Moderator Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfresh View Post
    Hey Mr. Mann...

I saw your question on the general WTA discussion thread,
    "From what I understand, nornicotine and cotinine are both minor/secondary alkaloids and metabolites of nicotine, but nornictoine is in a fairly high percentage of the famous "5%". I am finding conflicting information about whether nornicotine even has any MAOI effects--most of what I can tell is that it mostly "acts" like nic. I guess what I am asking is that if nornicotine is a "major" minor alkaloid, but it doesn't seem to be all that impressive for the part that we're looking for when vaping WTA, is its presence needed? Or is this the scenario where isolating a specific alkaloid would be too prohibitive and just not worth the hassle?"

Thought this study probably confirms your impression that nornicotine seems to have less synergistic effects with nicotine than the other prevalent minor alkaloids...at least in rats.

The addition of five minor tobacc... [Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
    Dude, I was right about to re-post that here. Too funny.

Oh, and I have that same study open up on my computer already. LOL Although, mine is from http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ne&aid=6382912 (same study though).
    Last edited by Mr.Mann; 07-27-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    Robin!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Hmmm i take drugs that cannot be taken while on a MAOI. Interesting new avenue to persue.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

JF, how much of a pain in the ... is it to isolate (out) one of the alkaloids. Has WC ever tried it?
    Robin!

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mann View Post
    JF, how much of a pain in the ... is it to isolate (out) one of the alkaloids. Has WC ever tried it?
    I wanted the same answer but i am waiting til he is up and running. Just wondering are you asking on my behalf?

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FL Lori View Post
    I wanted the same answer but i am waiting til he is up and running. Just wondering are you asking on my behalf?
    No. I really was interested to find out if nornicotine even needs to be in WTA. Maybe it could be the great (roughly) 3% of minor alkaloids.

Quote Originally Posted by FL Lori View Post
    Hmmm i take drugs that cannot be taken while on a MAOI. Interesting new avenue to persue.
    Also--and this is total bro-science, so I am not qaulified to really say--but if there is an issue with MAOIs in WTA, wouldn't that be the same issue in cigarettes? Does the medication preclude you from smoking?
    Last edited by Mr.Mann; 07-27-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    yummi4tunekookie likes this.
    Robin!

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran jfresh's Avatar

No. We haven't. It is well beyond my knowledge base to even answer the question intelligently. It may require some pretty sophisticated techniques.

I'll discuss it with our R&D chemistry consultant the next chance I have. He's out of town attending a wedding at the moment.

I think one possibility may be vacuum distillation, as these compounds are likely to have (at least slightly) different boiling points....another may be (and this is a big maybe) that some alkaloids, and I only vaguely remember reading this, are not steam volitile (most are) and that could be a way of separating out at least some particular alkaloids. But I'm not sure which...or even if I remember this correctly.

Interesting subject, and I wish I had an answer for you.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

No. I really was interested to find out if nornicotine even needs to be in WTA. Maybe it could be the great (roughly) 3% of minor alkaloids.

Also--and this is total bro-science, so I am not qaulified to really say--but if there is an issue with MAOIs in WTA, wouldn't that be the same issue in cigarettes? Does the medication preclude you from smoking?
    You would think. Nothing stops me from smoking And IMO wholecig juice is wonderful!!! I learned to love it as is and i am not a baccy vapor. Great stuff here

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfresh View Post
    No. We haven't. It is well beyond my knowledge base to even answer the question intelligently. It may require some pretty sophisticated techniques.

I'll discuss it with our R&D chemistry consultant the next chance I have. He's out of town attending a wedding at the moment.

I think one possibility may be vacuum distillation, as these compounds are likely to have (at least slightly) different boiling points....another may be (and this is a big maybe) that some alkaloids, and I only vaguely remember reading this, are not steam volitile (most are) and that could be a way of separating out at least some particular alkaloids. But I'm not sure which...or even if I remember this correctly.

Interesting subject, and I wish I had an answer for you.

No worries. Even BT still can't get a total grasp of tobacco and all its constituents.
    Robin!

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Oh, and for anyone reading this, as far as I am concerned, JF and I are just talking shop! (FL Lori's particular issue is different, but nonetheless important for her.) I have a bottle of WC WTA right in front of me with about 2-3 drops left in it--I am not thinking about nornicotine after this next vape; it'll just be about waiting for my next bottles to come in. Period.

Sometimes I can forget that others aren't researching this stuff the way some of us do. The majority, literally, THE MAJORITY, of all of this is beyond my understanding, but I like the topic and it really intrigues me to learn more about that which I partake in and that which used to have a major hold over me.
    Robin!

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Oh, and for anyone reading this, as far as I am concerned,me and JF are just talking shop! I have a bottle of WC WTA right in front of me with about 2-3 drops left in it--I am not thinking about nornicotine after this next vape; it'll just be about waiting for my next bottles to come in. Period.

Sometimes I can forget that others aren't researching this stuff the way some of us do. The majority, literally, THE MAJORITY, of all of this is beyond my understanding, but I like the topic and it really intrigues me to learn more about that which I partake in and that which used to have a major hold over me.
    In other words its a great product and a available!

Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast