Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vaping in a hospital bed?

It would not be allowed in my hospital. Anything that uses resistance heat is not allowed in patient areas (unless of course it is hospital grade equipment), due to the possibility of oxygen leaks. Also use of tobacco products is prohibited there, due to the recent court ruling with the FDA then it would be considered a tobacco product. Also the charging equipment would need to be UL listed, if there isn't a UL tag or stamp then it would not be allowed to be plugged into the hospital power supply (all electrical equipment must be inspected by maintence before being plugged in). That said be sure to talk to your doctor about your vaping at least a day or two before your surgery, as there may be side effects or contraindications for anesthesia (I'm just now learning about anesthesia so I can't tell you for sure). Also if Vaping isn't allowed then the doctor can perscribe you an appropriate nicotine patch. Knowing how much you typically vape and the nicotine content of you juice will give them a better idea (than with smokers) on which patch to perscribe. Do not Vape while you are on the patch. If they tell you that you cannot Vape don't "stealth" vape. Actually knowing some of the side effects of vaping I'd say it isn't a great Idea untill you have good strong bowel sounds, as vaping can lead to diarrhea causing material that is in the process of digestion to loosen and move before peristalsis returns (which is not a good thing). Now there are no studies that I know of to prove or disprove that, but it is a possibility, and until more studies are done I would recommend against it, especially considering the surgery you are about to have.

All that said talk to your surgeon about it, be sure to mention that diarrhea seems to be a known side effect of vaping in some people, and see what he/she has to say about it. I am by no means an expert, or a medical professional.

Super Member ECF Veteran Jaguar G's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DEnd View Post
    All that said talk to your surgeon about it, be sure to mention that diarrhea seems to be a known side effect of vaping in some people, and see what he/she has to say about it. I am by no means an expert, or a medical professional.
    Although diarrhea is a common side effect, it has never been an issue with me. Regular? Yes. Excess? No. That and the fact that I have to stop all solid foods, drink lots of water and take GoLYTELY two days before surgery, I doubt I will have anything "in the process of digestion".

I will ask my doctor and respect his opinion. If he has sound reasons to stop nicotine I will not vape, or use a patch, gum, inhaler, etc. If it is a "no" for no good reason besides what it looks like, then stealth vaping may commence. My wife can charge batteries each night, so besides having a strange looking wood box in my room, I see no problems.

Happy vapor trails,
    Jag
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson - Mark Twain

Senior Member ECF Veteran

How is the nicotine delivered by vaping any different than that delivered by a patch aside from the fact that the user controls the amount and frequency by which the drug is delivered with a PV, to best suit their needs? If one is a "tobacco product" because it contains nicotine, then so is the other (using common sense if not by law). I would say if the doc says no vaping but would be ok with ordering nicotine patches, then obviously nicotine isn't the problem and I'd be stealth vaping.

Quote Originally Posted by DEnd View Post
    It would not be allowed in my hospital. Anything that uses resistance heat is not allowed in patient areas (unless of course it is hospital grade equipment), due to the possibility of oxygen leaks. Also use of tobacco products is prohibited there, due to the recent court ruling with the FDA then it would be considered a tobacco product. Also the charging equipment would need to be UL listed, if there isn't a UL tag or stamp then it would not be allowed to be plugged into the hospital power supply (all electrical equipment must be inspected by maintence before being plugged in). That said be sure to talk to your doctor about your vaping at least a day or two before your surgery, as there may be side effects or contraindications for anesthesia (I'm just now learning about anesthesia so I can't tell you for sure). Also if Vaping isn't allowed then the doctor can perscribe you an appropriate nicotine patch. Knowing how much you typically vape and the nicotine content of you juice will give them a better idea (than with smokers) on which patch to perscribe. Do not Vape while you are on the patch. If they tell you that you cannot Vape don't "stealth" vape. Actually knowing some of the side effects of vaping I'd say it isn't a great Idea untill you have good strong bowel sounds, as vaping can lead to diarrhea causing material that is in the process of digestion to loosen and move before peristalsis returns (which is not a good thing). Now there are no studies that I know of to prove or disprove that, but it is a possibility, and until more studies are done I would recommend against it, especially considering the surgery you are about to have.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Hydration is very important to recovery, and vaping is very dehydrating, so remember to drink plenty of water! That's especially important for kidney issues. Also, nicotine constricts blood flow into the kidneys, so if you can reduce your nic, that would not be a bad thing...I'm a caregiver for a kidney transplant recipient, so I got to know a lot about that...

Now that I read this, I realize I would never be allowed to vape openly in any hospital in NJ, since vaping is banned in public buildings and workplaces here...
    Last edited by jplanet; 01-22-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Smoking was killing me; my lungs are now clear, more energy and anxiety gone. I'm sorry the NJ legislature is ignorant of the benefits of E cigarettes. How something that is saving lives can be banned is just plain wrong. I vape everywhere except when I feel I would be a source of attention such as a movie theatre or busy restaurant. I have vaped in hospitals no problem. My doctor tells his other patients about my ecig and is glad I no longer get pneumonia. I'm sure glad I live in Texas for a lot of reasons and less regulations for most things are a benefit to my personal freedoms.

pastrybiz,

Thanks for your information, if you don't mind me asking, what Hospital did you vape in? I am going to Harris Hospital Downtown in Fort Worth.

T minus 19 hours 15 minutes. Did the bowel prep yesterday and on clear liquids only today.

I miss coffee, maybe I'll vape some Cappuccino.

Jag

Default You'll probably be allowed

My neighbor that I intoduced to vaping had a back sugery and graph in Texas, and she used her pv, starting in the post op recovery room. If anyone came in and saw a cloud she had prepared a little package of info about e-cigs to pop out. No one asked to see it, when someone came in she said "nothings burning", and they allowed it.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Yep, just left the hospital 5 days in, 3 days on oxygen, mind you I didnt grab it while a nurse or doc was in the room unless they asked for a demo, but i left it on my rollar table and everyone asked about it.

it honestly was great only because the last time i was in the hospital you could smoke in the little waiting areas on each floor and if you were bedridden no one questioned it if you smoked at bed.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Just saw the date and it seems you will be admitted today. Just writing to say hope it all goes well.

Made it out alive. I did vape, but not too much.

Mostly because I felt like hell and didn't really want to. When I did feel like vaping I did, just not in front of the staff. Don't ask don't tell? Left my PV out the whole time and saw some of the nurses look at it, but no one asked.

All will be find in due time. Thanks for the support,
    Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast