Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Coffee shop altercation.

Super Member ECF Veteran Maestro's Avatar

True, but the change may not be the one you wanted. In most places, it's still NOT banned.
    I've given up trying to be a good example and decided to settle for being a horrible warning.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    True, but the change may not be the one you wanted. In most places, it's still NOT banned.
    What difference does it make to you if it is banned or not if you don't vape there? The reason we DON'T want a vaping ban is so we CAN vape in public. But if we are going to ban ourselves from vaping in public, what difference does it make?

I really agree with Mickeyrat's basic sentiment here. I was shocked when I read this thread and some of the posts people had made about how they would have handled a similar situation. However, I think some of Mickeyrat's post was a little jumping to conclusions or misdirected about the OP's situation. Perhaps it could have been because of all the responses where people said things like "I would've punched him" or "I would have told him to shut up" or "I would have pulled out my gun". And Mickeyrat may have gotten a little to into listing what not to do in a way that implied that the OP had actually done all those things (which they hadn't). But IMO they are all things that aren't good to do when someone has a problem with a person vaping in public. I really think it is important to explain what a vaporizer does when someone has an issue with it. Just because the guy in the coffee shop had heard of "e-cigarettes" does not mean he understood how they worked and that it is just water vapor (with a little PG or VG) being exhaled. I think it's really important to stay calm and polite - 2 wrongs don't make a right and definitely don't get anyone on our side, and even jerks can sometimes be forced to submit to logic when confronted with information and kindness when they were looking for/expecting either a fight or quivering submission.

ETA: If I fully informed someone of how vaping is different from smoking and not affecting them and they still wanted me to stop I would ask them why. If they still wanted me to stop I would. This is assuming that I am in an indoor public place and am the only one vaping or an outdoor place where smoking is strictly banned and/or others are stuck in close quarters with me out of necessity. In other situations I think I would play it by ear. But in general, if someone is bothered by something I am doing, whether or not it is forbidden, I will usually stop. Just being considerate. If I was, say, listening to music and my neighbour asked me to shut it off but I knew it wasn't above the maximum decibel level, I would shut it off. If I was standing too close to someone and they said they were allergic to my perfume I would move away, even though I was not doing anything that is banned or illegal. If someone didn't like my t-shirt and didn't want to look at it, well, that really depends on the t-shirt and where it was, but I would probably begrudgingly put on a sweater. When it comes to vaping it is a much more sensitive issue which can affect us all as vapers. Just because something is not banned or illegal doesn't mean we don't have to care about how anyone else feels about our behaviour. We can and should ask them why they feel that way and explain ourselves, but it's not ridiculous for some of us to think it's in the vaping community's best interest to put our PVs away if asked.
    Last edited by Pelagic; 04-03-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: see ETA

I would say csb, but since I see you are in Seattle OP, and I lived at Alki for quite a while, I can see this happening.

Not that where I live now doesn't have its own brand of busybodies!

I probably would have run him off before I let him sit at my table though.

Folks like that don't understand education; you have to bare your teeth and urinate on their leg to establish dominance.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

If someone thinks they can sit at another persons table
    whom they don't know, clench their fists, and stare at the
    person menacingly to get their way, then that someone is
    highly unlikely to be wanting a logical discussion about
    feelings and why everyone should respect each other.
    old hippy and Bullwinkle like this.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
    is for good men to do nothing.

On the Snap... Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    "...luck plays a part in nine ball...But for some, luck itself is an art."

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I would say csb, but since I see you are in Seattle OP, and I lived at Alki for quite a while, I can see this happening.
    Just to be clear, I do live in Seattle, where there IS a vaping ban, but this event did not happen in King County. It happened in Spokane where there IS NOT a vaping ban...

Carry on...

Bummer about the vape ban in King. They do like to ban things there.....it's for the children though.

Full Member Verified Member
    Blog Entries

Working in healthcare and seeing what kind of strange and sick people are just admitted to my hospital and then sent back into society I often wonder how often we come across these people in real life. Like this lady just started berating her nurse for not being able to get an early sheduled dosage of her narcotic. She even tried to leave the building on her motor scooter. I don't know how far she thought shed get but......just saying this person at the coffee shop is probably one of those many weirdos that just live among us. He probably would have picked a fight with someone else over something else if you hadn't been there.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Naturally, Rat, I must respectfully disagree. That guy didn't sound like he was open to being educated.
    Sounds that way to me as well.
    If someone asks "What's that?" when I vape, it's an opportunity to educate them as to what they are.
    If someone starts insulting and cursing at me, it's an opportunity to call the police to explain to them what disorderly conduct is.

But never resort to violence if you can possibly avoid it. Getting yourself an assault charge is not a good way to handle an idiot.
    Last edited by DedTV; 04-12-2012 at 05:29 AM.
    old hippy likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member

Oh good Lord! About four pages into reading this thread, I just had to LOL!

I totally agree that we, as vapers, should educate those who are WILLING to learn. This guy was clearly looking for a fight, though, which probably had nothing to do with the OP's vaping. This guy just used that as an excuse to go off on someone for whatever completely unrelated incident that originally made him upset. Like when you stub your toe on something, then cuss your dog out for looking at you funny, as you hop around holding your foot.

The thing that I find most amusing is the summarization of the situation, in general:

Some hot head in coffee shop, surrounded by steaming-hot brew, decides to blow off some steam by getting in a heated discussion with someone who's blowing out steam.
    JTman and Maestro like this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456