Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree361Likes

Thread: Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    You've vaped in planes??? Just in your seat or in the loo? It'd be lovely to be able to vape on a long flight.

When was the last time you did this, and what airlines, if I might ask?
    Strictly illegal on U.S. flights, since some months back. In the loo is o.k. though still illegal. The smoke detectors won't pick it up. I suggest an non-tobacco juice. Don't you always bring air freshener into the loo with you?
    Kay1959, RyanRed, new kid and 2 others like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    I vape 18/24mg and I know for a fact that my vapor is no more harmful than the exhaled breath of someone using a Nicotrol inhaler. When they ban inhalers because of the risk to bystanders, I'll possibly change my position. Possibly.

Meahwhile, I had my parrot tested for nicotine. I chain vapee within 8' of her cage all day for 2 years. If there is anything in the air, the respiratory system of a bird will pick it up at a much higher efficiency than any other animal. The only pollutants in her blood or tissue were certain chemicals from the traffic in my neighborhood. No nicotine or, for that matter, any other component of a cigarette. The traffic outside pollutes the air in my home worse than my vaping. Cost me several hundred dollars to find that fact out, so I'm gonna use it.
    wow you have just answered the subject of my next thread. thank you. i was worried that something in my vape would affect my tiel and keet since they are so sensitive. that is great news!

as for vaping in public. i havent really had the chance to test that here in illinois yet. i live in a very small area and im sure people would have lots to say about it. but since starting i really havent been anywhere long enough that i would want to vape while in. when i am in that circumstance i will vape and depending on the situation may or may not ask if it is ok. if asked to stop then i will explain what it is and why i am doing it and if they are persistance that i do not do it then i will stop. but i will be sure to educate on the matter no matter what
    sailorman likes this.

Vaping Queen ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I've vaped in restaruants, Dr's offices, shopping malls, Wal-Mart and even my Mom's non-smoking home and my non-smoking friends car. So far I've not encountered anyone who's been opposed to my vaping. I normally ask if it's ok with the person if it's possible, but for places like Wal-Mart who would you ask? lol! So I just vape. I live in a very small community where ecigs are not that well known. So far the only comment I've gotten is that my Provari looks something like a StarWars light saber.

Strictly illegal on U.S. flights, since some months back. In the loo is o.k. though still illegal. The smoke detectors won't pick it up. I suggest an non-tobacco juice. Don't you always bring air freshener into the loo with you?
    Tee hee I don't always travel with air freshener...but Mr Frog has been known to bring his own freshener to public loos! Let's just say it's not for a smoking/vaping reason.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I always vape in public and enjoy being told I can't "smoke" to which I reply with "I am not smoking" and continue on my shopping. Most people are pretty cool about it and until they put up "no vaping" signs, I will continue.
    GodEsque and SweetJ45 like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran Forkeh's Avatar

In the office at work; my boss doesn't care. I've vaped very lightly in some establishments, but only in very large, warehouse style stores, where I'm confident that it won't bother anyone. Even then I keep it on the DL; I don't blow giant clouds.

In my opinion, my desire to inhale nicotine doesn't trump others' rights not to breath in what I'm producing. Vapor is less harmful than cigarette smoke, yes. But that doesn't mean it's completely harmless. We simply don't know who much second hand nicotine we're giving off. It may be a little or none, it may be a lot. We just don't know. Plus, there's always the possibility that someone might be sensitive to PG or a flavoring in my juice. It's not very nice to send someone into a sneezing fit just because I don't want to wait 10 minutes until I'm outside. PG even bothers my sinuses sometimes, because I do have seasonal allergies. When they're bothering me, I am sensitive to things that otherwise don't usually bother me. Irritated nasal passages and what not.

In general, I try to be a sensitive and polite to other people around me.
    danart, DementEd571 and dahlialady like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran Forkeh's Avatar

I vape 18/24mg and I know for a fact that my vapor is no more harmful than the exhaled breath of someone using a Nicotrol inhaler. When they ban inhalers because of the risk to bystanders, I'll possibly change my position. Possibly.

Meahwhile, I had my parrot tested for nicotine. I chain vapee within 8' of her cage all day for 2 years. If there is anything in the air, the respiratory system of a bird will pick it up at a much higher efficiency than any other animal. The only pollutants in her blood or tissue were certain chemicals from the traffic in my neighborhood. No nicotine or, for that matter, any other component of a cigarette. The traffic outside pollutes the air in my home worse than my vaping. Cost me several hundred dollars to find that fact out, so I'm gonna use it.

That is definitely encouraging, however I would caution you against taking that as a general, or absolute fact. I mean don't get me wrong, it's absolutely encouraging, and great that your parrot has suffered no ill side effect of your vaping. But, the sample size of the test, and lack of control makes me cautious, about calling it a fact. Encouraging, yes, but not a shut book case.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkeh View Post
    That is definitely encouraging, however I would caution you against taking that as a general, or absolute fact. I mean don't get me wrong, it's absolutely encouraging, and great that your parrot has suffered no ill side effect of your vaping. But, the sample size of the test, and lack of control makes me cautious, about calling it a fact. Encouraging, yes, but not a shut book case.
    The parrot not only suffered no ill effects, she contained no nicotine or other tobacco derived toxins. If you understand the respiratory system of a bird, you would understand that that's about as shut book as it gets. There is no way possible that vapor could contain any appreciable amount of nicotine and not have it show up in this bird's bloodstream. No way unless the vet ripped me off and didn't perform the tests. Sample size is irrelevant. We aren't talking about symptoms or immunity or effects. We are talking presence of a substance. It's as valid as any drug test done on a human's blood. Other than respecting chain of custody and protocol, you wouldn't use lack of controls or sample size as a defense if you were charged with driving drugged and the evidence was a blood test. You might try, but a judge would laugh at you.

The parrot is the lesser of the evidence anyway. We know more than you might suspect about what is exhaled in vapor. We also know that what is exhaled in vapor is less irritating and harmful than what our cars spew, what busses spew, what our lawnmowers emit, what comes out of our chimneys or our vinyl furniture or carpet glue, our bbq grills or our chainsaws and outboard engines. For particularly sensitive people, we risk offending them with our aftershaves, colognes and deodorants or no-deodorants. If what we do as vapers came from a cup instead of a cylindrical device, nobody would say a thing about it. That's a fact. It's the similarity to smoking that causes all the concern. The amount of nicotine in vapor is minute. As I said before, there is every bit as much exhaled nicotine in the breath of a Nicotrol user and nobody questions their right to exhale.
    Here are some links to what we know. Note the amount of nicotine and other substances in vapor. You would literally have to exhale into someones mouth for an extended period of time to expose them to as much nicotine as is contained in an average tomato. These figures are raw vapor. Exhaled vaper contains considerably less, as much of it is absorbed by the vaper.
    Ecigarette mist harmless, inhaled or exhaled

Here's a legislative statement by Health New Zealand.
    http://www.aaphp.org/Resources/Docum...isStatemnt.pdf

Here's a more detailed analysis of the contents of vapor.
    http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartr...t30-Oct-08.pdf

And a more concise version:
    http://www.healthnz.co.nz/News2012SOTposter1861.pdf
    Last edited by sailorman; 06-09-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    MwSlim, GodEsque and 03FXDWG like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I use my Reo Mini which is quite stealthy and vape wherever I want. If you exhale the vapor into your sleeve or downward you can vape without really bringing any attention to yourself. If I am in a place where there are lots of children or vaping may cause undue attention (a la McDonalds, Barnes and Noble cafe etc) I usually go outside or to the bathroom. Don't think that little ones understand nor should they have to ask mommy why this woman is "smoking" in the establishment.

JMHO though. I try to respect that people are not aware yet and not cause any discomfort but will vape pretty much any time that I wanna vape.

10. 06-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Moved On

Reason
    Unregistered Supplier

According to the Health NZ study, their sample contained 0.01mg nicotine per puff. If the average vaper absorbed 40% of that, it leaves .006mg per puff in exhaled vapor. Considering vapor dissipates and settles rapidly, how may vapers would you need to pack into a normally ventilated room in order to expose one by stander to the amount of nicotine in one puff of a cigarette, 0.1mg?

Assuming that there was no ventilation, 17 vapers would have to simultaneously breathe into the mouth and nose of a bystander for him to be exposed to the amount of nicotine in one puff of a cigarette. All the exhaled vapor would have to be inhaled by the bystander. If the bystander absorbed this nicotine at the same rate as the vapers, he would have to be inhaling the breath of 43 vapers, simultaneously, to absorb the same amount of nicotine he'd absorb if he took one puff of a cigarette.
    wv2win, Angi2299 and tomaKBRN like this.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast