Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree361Likes

Thread: Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?

As the title says, do you do it?

I live in California, and smoking is banned just about eveywhere. But does this apply to vaping? Could I pull out my Kgo, and vape it up in a resturant? A Gas Station? Anywhere in doors at all?

I don't drink, so I dont go to bars. But Im mainly wondering if there is laws about this, and/or is it accepted as ok. Can I walk around a local supermarket and vape? I'm sure it would draw a bunch of attention none the less, and I bet an employee of said establishment would come tell me stop in thoughts that I was smoking inside. The oder is not offensive at all, but purely on a visual level I'm sure it would turn heads.

So do any of you have any background with this? Have you vaped inside a public place at all? Do you ask first before you do?

-Ryan
    Last edited by RyanRed; 06-10-2012 at 12:43 AM.

ECF Veteran

I vape at work, in the office (but not the ER where I also work ). I haven't really vaped much in other places like stores, but if no one is around and I'm browsing I pull it out and have a hit or two.

Worse comes to worse if someone asks you not to just politely agree and put it away I suppose!
    lettucehead and Arel3 like this.

Full Member ECF Veteran

I'm new here and often wonder the same thing. I live in Florida. Went to see Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw last weekend at the Bucs stadium in Tampa. I vaped in the stadium through the whole concert. Just kinda blew my vapor hard at my feet. Had no complaints. I'm following your thread. I'm curious of the responses you get. Good luck and happy vaping.

Sent from my Incredible 2 HD using Tapatalk 2
    barbieq3753 likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I vape in public all the time. At the store, in school, heck even in front row in class I can be found blissfully taking notes and puffing away and the only attention I have gotten were inquiries from smokers as to what I was puffing on and whether or not it worked. I've vaped on planes, busses, in other people's cars, in gas stations (not while pumping, though) even during jury duty. Not once have I gotten a negative remark, or have been asked to stop or leave. I did, however get a few nasty looks at an airport in Dallas, but I chock that up to my experiences with prominent rudeness in the area.

To answer your question specifically, I have only vaped in California at Ft Irwin, and Barstow. Every day after work, I would walk into IN-N-OUT burger, and wait in line to order my daily Double-Double while vaping away. I haven't had any problems thusfar.

I forgot to add that I do, however, ask those around me if they have any objections to my vaping while in a small area such as a plane, elevator or crowded building.
    Last edited by dgm76513; 06-09-2012 at 07:55 AM.

I vape @ 0mg so I don't feel that my second hand vape would be anymore harmful than the vapor coming off a cup of tea or coffee. I did sit alone in the back of a movie and vape contentedly tonight. Last time we went to a movie we were not in the back and I tried to exhale slowly and down so that the fog did not attract attention. I'm sorry to say, but in many cases it's likely easier not to ask and either explain what it is or put it away if challenged. There are many places I would not feel comfortable vaping openly, but I have taken a puff or 2 walking thru the mall.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Froggie View Post
    I vape @ 0mg so I don't feel that my second hand vape would be anymore harmful than the vapor coming off a cup of tea or coffee. I did sit alone in the back of a movie and vape contentedly tonight. Last time we went to a movie we were not in the back and I tried to exhale slowly and down so that the fog did not attract attention. I'm sorry to say, but in many cases it's likely easier not to ask and either explain what it is or put it away if challenged. There are many places I would not feel comfortable vaping openly, but I have taken a puff or 2 walking thru the mall.
    Like that old saying..."it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission!" ;P

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

I vape everywhere it' not explicitly prohibited or obviously inappropriate, like a funeral home. I've had zero problems. In a restaurant, I may or may not ask first. If I ask, I'll try to ask a manager instead of some server who will go immediately into CYA mode. In a bar, I don't ask. In a theater, I keep my vapor to a minimum so as not to obscure the view of others. In a grocery store I don't ask. In a retail store where I'm going to be spending time, I might or might not vape or I might or might not ask first. It depends on the situation, but I never assume that because smoking is prohibited, vaping is. I'm not smoking and nobody has a legitimate reason to be offended. I don't suffer fools gladly and I don't cater to willfull ignorance or irrationality.

If there are laws against it, they'll be on the state of local level and they'll likely just lump smoking and vaping together. The fight is going on State by State, city by city. CASAA has a lot of info on legislation proposed, passed and defeated that would ban vaping where smoking is not allowed. They have legislative alerts about proposed legislation. Utah was the latest State that went down, AFAIK. Other states dodged the bullet and removed vaping from statewide indoor smoking bans. Some cities have passed anti-vaping laws and some haven't addressed it at all.

My feeliing is that the more you vape in public, the more people will stop confusing vaping and smoking and the more people will realize how stupid these laws are. If you sneak around, vaping in smoking areas, vaping a cigarette look-alike and otherwise acting like a smoker, people will associate vaping and smoking.

I have personally influenced the policies of several bars and restaurants that formerly had no policy on vaping. It is up to us to do this before the anti-nicotine zealots do it for us, either through legislation or their propaganda machine. There's no need to be "in your face" about any of it. But unless the law is already established, we are under no obligation to acquiesce to the demands of every random person who does not know, and is not interested in learning, that vapor is not smoke.

Vape considerately. Demonstrate and educate. That's the only way to immunize the public from the propaganda campaign that's being waged against vaping.
    Last edited by sailorman; 06-09-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    DC2, zapped, juicejunky and 26 others like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Yep! I've vaped in planes, bars, stores of all kinds, restaurants, movies, banks, etc. Twice I have been asked to stop, both times in bars and I complied. Other than a few sideways glances and questions I haven't had a problem. I don't use cigarette lookalikes, so that probably helps! In my experience, its better to ask forgiveness than permission lol
    DSmooch likes this.

ECF Veteran

You've vaped in planes??? Just in your seat or in the loo? It'd be lovely to be able to vape on a long flight.

When was the last time you did this, and what airlines, if I might ask?

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Froggie View Post
    I vape 18/24mg and I know for a fact that my vapor is no more harmful than the exhaled breath of someone using a Nicotrol inhaler. When they ban inhalers because of the risk to bystanders, I'll possibly change my position. Possibly.

Meahwhile, I had my parrot tested for nicotine. I chain vapee within 8' of her cage all day for 2 years. If there is anything in the air, the respiratory system of a bird will pick it up at a much higher efficiency than any other animal. The only pollutants in her blood or tissue were certain chemicals from the traffic in my neighborhood. No nicotine or, for that matter, any other component of a cigarette. The traffic outside pollutes the air in my home worse than my vaping. Cost me several hundred dollars to find that fact out, so I'm gonna use it.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast