How Do You Pacify Non-Smokers/Non-Vapers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How Do You Pacify Non-Smokers/Non-Vapers?

Default How Do You Pacify Non-Smokers/Non-Vapers?

How do you assure them, if at all, that you are vaping an e-cigarette and not smoking an analog cigarette in an indoor public place? Honestly, we shouldn't have to prove anything to anybody, but for our own comfort, we often do things absentmindedly to help normalize a still fairly uncommon and yet highly stigmatized activity. For one, I usually tend to make sure that after I take a puff, the average bystander can still see my cig-a-like and notice that it's not burning like a regular cigarette would after a puff. I never try to hide my e-cig. If I'm in a restaurant and I intend to vape, it's always in my hand (which also helps with that whole sensory/fixation thing). I go out of my way to demonstrate that I'm not breaking any statewide laws. What kind of things, if anything, do you all do for the sake of non-smokers/non-vapers?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Nermal's Avatar

One little thing you can do is drop the device head first into a shirt pocket. Pretty soon, the shirt doesn't catch fire and they can draw their own conclusions.

Other than that, it sounds like you've got things pretty well figured out.
    How can you possibly respect a person who can only think of one way to spell a word? - Andrew Jackson (paraphrased)

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

if i'm know i'm going to be vaping in an indoor public place i'll usually grab a higher PG liquid. less cloud, less hassle.
    Lorelei likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

That's the main reason I don't use a cig alike, it takes a real bone head to mistake my EA Clone and IBTank for an analog.
    Archimedes and celticluvr like this.
    Smoke Free Since September 9, 2009

When I first started vaping, I worried about that sort of thing. Now, I don't even think about it, I just vape.

What changed?

I think it's two things. One, there are more vapers around, with quite a few B&M vape shops in this area. And the bigger reason, I think, is that for two years I've been vaping in public and it's never been a big deal. After awhile, you quit worrying about it.
    Izan, Archimedes, Uma and 1 others like this.
    30 years of smoking, over 3 packs a day before I started vaping. Then I bought my first PV. Cigarettes have lost their power over me. I've been free since 10/06/2011. Thanks ECF!

Quote Originally Posted by BardicDruid View Post
    That's the main reason I don't use a cig alike, it takes a real bone head to mistake my EA Clone and IBTank for an analog.
    My thoughts exactly, when I first started vaping I had a few people mistake my cigalike for a clove cigarette. Soon upgraded to an eGo twist and that stopped happening and now I almost exclusively use mech mods (with a Kick 2 depending on what juice delivery I'm using)

If and when the FDA concludes some sound peer reviewed studies that conclude the safety of second hand vape, there will be no sound legal argument to enact laws banning it. If they did that, I would demand no farting outside designated fart zones or demand surgically installed catalytic converters on all people to save the planet from dangerous methane.

It is hysteria and not rational logic that is driving this issue.
    Lorelei, ericm12121977 and Uma like this.

Moved On

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    My thoughts exactly, when I first started vaping I had a few people mistake my cigalike for a clove cigarette. Soon upgraded to an eGo twist and that stopped happening and now I almost exclusively use mech mods (with a Kick 2 depending on what juice delivery I'm using)
    I'm jealous. When I pull out my eGo Evod shorty, people say, "Hey, cool pen!" The best was the other night though. I pulled out my MVP with a Novi tank and was asked, "Is that a duck call?"
    supertrunker, Lorelei and Teach08 like this.

PV Master ECF Veteran

E-cigarettes are no big secret anymore.

Fast forward to the bottom line ...
    E-cigarettes are here to stay !!

Won't be too much longer before few vapers will even be concerned
    about pacifying non-smokers.
    Last edited by Petrodus; 11-16-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Honestly I have yet to actually have anybody give me any guff over them (though I was there when a friend of mine had a little tiff with some police officers at a high school football game... I guess maybe I'm just a bit more discreet than her so I flew under the radar). The most common question I get from strangers is, "Does that work?" And then I go into e-cig pitching mode and pass them a business card for my preferred B&M to get started.

The second most common comment I get (particularly from other vapors who are still using egos) is, "Holy bejeezus, that thing is enormous!" I love my SVD (yes, I carry it around in 18650 mode), which I endearingly refer to as my lightsaber
    ericm12121977 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast