Page 5 of 126 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree3652Likes

Thread: Why Vapers are getting a BAD NAME.

I get where your coming from where its being a doctors office with infants around but its not like she was blowing it directly at them.

I get more upset when bartenders/bouncers tell me im not allowed to use mine in the building.

Take all that conflict and take it out at the places that deserve it!

-xICooRsYIx
    Katatawnic likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baldr View Post
    You still think it's smoking, and you still think it should be treated like smoking. But it's not smoking. It doesn't have the same health issues, or the smell.

I don't care for the way the lady did it in your story. A pediatricians office is out of line, IMO. But as long as you think of it as "You're smoking, go away!" then it's really hard to take you serious.
    What he said, yep
    Uma likes this.
    US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
    http://www.casaa.org/Become_a_Member.html

Full Member Verified Member gamebeatter's Avatar

My whole take on the vaping thing is vape where smoking is allowed and if it is not allowed there then go outside and change the way people look at you I have converted more people blowing clouds outside... remember the golden rule too always have a spare drip tip for them to try with..
    Uma likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gamebeatter View Post
    My whole take on the vaping thing is vape where smoking is allowed and if it is not allowed there then go outside and change the way people look at you I have converted more people blowing clouds outside... remember the golden rule too always have a spare drip tip for them to try with..

You want us to treat it like smoking. But it isn't smoking. I don't want to go stand out in the cold or the rain or the heat like the smokers do, and when I come back inside, I don't want to smell like a smoker.

If *vaping* isn't allowed there, that's one thing. If *smoking* isn't allowed there, that's a completely different thing.

You talk about "change the way people look at you", but you're treating it exactly like smoking, and you think of it as being the same as smoking, so anyone around you is going to think of it as being the same as smoking. Those of us who vape in public are the ones that will change perceptions.

Smoking is going to continue to be limited, more and more. As time goes on, there will be fewer and fewer places you are allowed to smoke. Since vaping dosn't smell like smoking, and doesn't have the same heath issues as smoking, it doesn't make sense to treat it like smoking.
    chinolofus, Myk, Uma and 15 others like this.
    30 years of smoking, over 3 packs a day before I started vaping. Then I bought my first PV. Cigarettes have lost their power over me. I've been free since 10/06/2011. Thanks ECF!

Here's the thing tho. Vape looks like smoke when exhaled. At least until it dissipates. Do you expect every store owner, bar tender, secretary or patient in a waiting room to start conducting an investigation as to the source of this cloud every time one is exhaled? Is it fair to expect that of people? No. Just don't vape where smoking is not allowed.
    zoiDman, polpol, fpkites and 3 others like this.

Heres my two cents, op in the right thought could have confronted her quietly I suppose. Whether or not its allowed, when someone does not wish something like that done around their child, thats the end of it, you respect that. I would not ever blow vape in an infants face even if they determine vapor will make the child fart rainbows. There is a level of courtesy to be respected. I wont vape in a doctors office period. Whether it poses the same risks or not its simple courtesy

sent from the s4 of DOOOM
    Uma and fpkites like this.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMichael88 View Post
    Here's the thing tho. Vape looks like smoke when exhaled. At least until it dissipates. Do you expect every store owner, bar tender, secretary or patient in a waiting room to start conducting an investigation as to the source of this cloud every time one is exhaled? Is it fair to expect that of people? No. Just don't vape where smoking is not allowed.
    Drinking soda from a cup looks exactly the same as drinking whiskey from a cup. Do you expect every store owner, secretary, or patient in a waiting room to conduct an investigation every time they see you drinking from a cup? Just don't drink anything where drinking alcohol is not allowed.

Sorry, that's a really silly argument.

One of the biggest complaints people have about smoking is the smell. It has a very strong, very distinctive smell. If people are smoking, they can't hide it. If you don't smell smoke, then your "investigation" is done.

Again, I'm not trying to support the lady vaping in a pediatricians office. I don't think that's a good idea. But "Treat it like it was a cigarette" is also a very bad idea.
    Myk, Uma, jpargana and 14 others like this.
    30 years of smoking, over 3 packs a day before I started vaping. Then I bought my first PV. Cigarettes have lost their power over me. I've been free since 10/06/2011. Thanks ECF!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LEDBETTER122 View Post
    I started vaping about 6 months ago; I am now completely winged off "Analog" cigarettes. I am glad that there is a Safer alternative to smoking, but I always hear and see complaints about E cigarette users. Now I treat my E-Cig as I would if it were a "Analog", I don't smoke in Walmarts or in Restaurants, because even though it's not a "Real" cigarette I find it disrespectful to others around you (Who don't smoke).
    Why do you find it disrespectful? Do you think there is some harm involved? Not sure?
    Do you think it would be overboard to consider anyone breathing in public as disrespectful? I mean, we could all wear masks over our mouths which would filter the air we exhale. As no one knows for sure what people are exhaling when out and about, wouldn't the respectful thing be for all of us to be wearing these sort of masks?

Getting to my story, today I took my 2 month old son and daughter (Twins) for their check up and shots. Me and my girlfriend were sitting in the lobby with around 5 other people with their children and infants with them. I noticed this woman sitting across the room bringing her jacket pocket up to her mouth (trying to be sneaky I guess), and exhaled a big plume of Vapor.

I of course got extremely POed, and said something to the woman, how it was disrespectful with all these Infants sitting within 10 feet of her "Vaping".

I just think it's crazy how disrespectful some people get with the whole "It's not a real cigarette, so I can smoke it when and where I want".
    What is the harm, as you understand it, that would come to an infant in the same room as a person exhaling vapor? Do you feel distance between the mouth of the vaper and the nostrils of the infant would make any difference, or do you think that doesn't matter, and that just the idea of it is disrespectful? If so, why?

With all that said, if you found it extremely bothersome, then saying something to the person that is engaging in the activity is okay, I guess. But might also be considered disrespectful from their perspective.

My take is that vaping indoors in public is not inherently disrespectful and I enjoy challenging fellow vapers who conclude otherwise. I think the situation does matter, but as I've been in health clinic waiting areas and such in last few months, I can report not having to take a puff in the waiting room. I advocate for openly vaping everywhere, with respect. For me, personally, I probably wouldn't do it in a crowded space indoors, but then again I might. I'd likely go to the bathroom if wait was too long. As that hasn't happened, I just decided to wait until I got to doctor's office and when alone in that room, took a puff, or two. So far, I'm batting 1.000 in those circumstances and feeling confident that will continue. In a Walmart sized building, I can easily find several places where no fellow customer will notice if I take a puff, or two. And I've been in that type of place and just vaped like I belonged there. Again, still batting 1.000 in not receiving complaints.

But here's the place where some will claim, they may not say it to your face and will instead say it to their local politician or store manager, or whatever. Can't say there's an easy answer to this that will work for all people as there are umpteen dozen things people can / will complain about when out and about. Plus our opposition (the anti-vapers, aka ANTZ) isn't waiting for that, and history of vaping clearly shows this. Undeniably shows this. You can pretend otherwise on a forum, but those who care about the politics and have been in the game longer than most, know of what I speak. It isn't the openly respectful indoor vaper that will be the undoing of eCigs in public. It'll be the rhetoric and underhanded antics of the ANTZ side of the equation that could be the undoing, especially if fellow vapers are asleep at the wheel when it comes to local politics and national policies around eCigs/vaping.
    Myk, Uma, jpargana and 6 others like this.

Moved On Verified Member

Someone start a poll and we can vote on it? I did hear some people can have an allergic reaction to the vapor. Smoking in public will just piss some people off. There is no arguing with some people no matter how safe something might be. I have no time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by zanedog View Post
    Someone start a poll and we can vote on it? I did hear some people can have an allergic reaction to the vapor. Smoking in public will just piss some people off. There is no arguing with some people no matter how safe something might be. I have no time for that.
    It's not smoking.

I vape in public every day, and nobody ever complains. You're just assuming that if you vape in public, you'll have to have an argument about it every time.
    Myk, Uma, jpargana and 6 others like this.