Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Barefoot
  • 1 Post By gayhalo
  • 1 Post By Milkhoney
  • 1 Post By Barefoot

Thread: Vaping vs Smoke Machines

Super Member ECF Veteran

Question Vaping vs Smoke Machines

A thought occurred to me that i haven't seen mentioned - either on the pro or anti side of the ecig debate.

The media pick up on the use of VG/PG in ecigs - and that PG is 'an ingredient in anti-freeze - yet i've never seen it mentioned that both are also used in commercial smoke machines common in nightclubs etc - and in large enough quantities to create enough 'smoke' to fill a room. Whilst i'm sure that these chemicals have been passed as 'safe' - how come i've never seen this mentioned perchance?

Aside from the fact that it obviously doesn't provide the required 'scare tactics' that is!

They also contain triethylene glycol which would appear to be more dangerous and unvapeable too!

Thoughts and corrections appreciated
    Mr.Mann and artbyshan like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Whilst it is obvious to a Vaper - did a quick search and i've never seen it mentioned within pro vs anti debates - generally anti say anti-freeze and pro say that PG is safe - without using the smoke machine as an example of mass exposure without permission - nightclubs will these days often have a sign warning folk of lighting that may bring on epilepsy - but i've never seen a warning for those that may have an allergy to PG!

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Went to see Bon Jovi at Aston Villa football ground. That's open air, no roof. The whole place was non smoking. I am not the sort to like confrontation I went and vaped in the smoking area (out of the ground). When Bon Jovi came on they started up two huge smoke machines with large polythene pipes attached that flooded the stage area and half the football ground with smoke (vapour). Wellllll..... And there was me worrying about vaping. If all the 30000 audience had vaped they could not have made that amout of vapour.
    Barefoot likes this.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Me either, even though that's often how I explain what it is I'm inhaling. Nicotine plus what goes in a fog machine. I've been prepared for someone to complain and be able to tell them my vaping shouldn't harm them more than a concert or haunted house would, minus the nic it's probably safer to inhale. I've only gotten positive reactions, though. Hard to complain about that.
    Barefoot likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran

There have been other posts about this - but it was the lack of warning signs (considering potential allergies etc) that got me to posting it with all the negative media attention at the mo
    Mr.Mann likes this.

Moved On Verified Member

PG is used in antifreeze - not because of anything else but it can withstand very low temperatures. Put some in the freezer - VG goes like rubber but PG stays very fluid.

It is considered a GRAS product. Generally Recognised as Safe

Super Member ECF Veteran

PG is also less toxic to animals etc if spilled - think that was one of the reasons it was chosen too